Does MR need to reshuffle the coaching staff or keep it the same?

Does MR need to reshuffle the coaching staff or keep it the same?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see MR do to keep the Huskers improving?

• Make no coaching staff changes. Continuity is what this team has been missing and it has helped us in the past.
    • Give his assistants until the end of the year to show if they can improve their product on the field.
    • Make changes on the offensive side of the ball, (without naming names).
    • Make changes on the defensive side of the ball, (without naming names).
    • None of the above (looking for some other bigger change).

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2017 at 06:00 AM

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Then why did you even make the post?

Because the two issues I have seen throughout a lot of threads is "if we get rid of HCMR we lose a good 2018 class" and "if we stick with HCMR to save the class, we lose out on a chance with Frost"

The dream scenario solves both of these problems. Likely, no. But if Frost wants UNL to succeed as much as we do, I thought it was worth noting what could be done to have the best chance of success, quickly. 

Just now, LaFlamaBlanca said:

Because the two issues I have seen throughout a lot of threads is "if we get rid of HCMR we lose a good 2018 class" and "if we stick with HCMR to save the class, we lose out on a chance with Frost"

The dream scenario solves both of these problems. Likely, no. But if Frost wants UNL to succeed as much as we do, I thought it was worth noting what could be done to have the best chance of success, quickly. 

Sorry if I was being harsh.  Honestly, if people are more worried about the 2018 class over the long-term future of the program, then they are misguided.

• Plus1 1

Wow, this message board is full of indecisive people that are waffling about a .500 ball coach.  Give it up already.  The guy lost to freakin Northern Illinois!  This is why he is more than likely getting the boot.  Its not us, its not the boosters, its his own undoing.  Just think about if we didn't lose that game against a MAC team............we would be 4-2 right now.  OK.  Now then, if you think we have chance at improving, losing to Wisky and Ohio ST would sting, but the pain would go away.  4-3.  Now, we win against Purdue, Northwestern, and Minny.  7-3 with games against Penn ST and Iowa coming.  The worst we are is 7-5.  

But no, we didn't win a gimme game on our home field.  Sorry, but one game sealed his fate.  It embarrased the whole University to its core.  If your winning and embarrass the program some, it can be looked past, but when your losing just won't work out.

• Plus1 2

So I finally get youtube setup on my Roku and ran across Monday press conferences for Nebrasaka.

Are these always available on YouTube like this? 

Just got the ones for Langsdorf  and Cavenauh sp? don't know if others are available.

Did not get any positive vibe.

Cavenauh's continuous comment was we just need to get better.

Langsdorf sounded like a used car salesmen trying to convince me to buy a bad car.

I tried to imagine these 2 guys talking to recruits....in this fashion. 

Not much confidence listening to them.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, LaFlamaBlanca said:

I know this is far fetched but lets create a dream scenario.... Fire DL and bring in Scott Frost as OC, with stipulations that he becomes the head coach in the next 1-2 years. Keeps Riley in the fold to help land a good 2018 class but also lets his geriatric behind ride gracefully into retirement, instead of being abruptly fired, which he may go for. Kind of like a poor mans Riley-Stoops scenario. 

Well he already said no to that scenario once when he wasn't a HC, so I'd say keep dreaming.  

Some of the best situations for a new coach to walk into are after a coach who recruited well but didn't get on field results is let go after a pretty fair shake of it (i.e, not unusually early for a coach to be let go; i.e, after 4 years or so). There's not that much pressure because the school was patient to the last guy, and the results were maybe not that stellar. There's a lot in the cupboard and given recent results they're likely to be receptive to a new staff, rather than aggrieved about the firing of the previous one.

I don't think it's as easy as "right coach, recruiting will work itself out." Fire too early and you make it hard on the next coach. Doubly so when you sacrifice a good recruiting class, the sort that is rare to come by. The new HC and whatever OL coach, coordinators, etc, are going to be feeling the same heat in a few years, and we'll be playing this "but look at the talent" versus "oh yeah, if he's such a good coach, how long does it take" game ad infinitum.

So yeah, if you think we need to make a change from Riley at the top, fine. The HC sets the tone and Nebraska lost to Arkansas State. That's pretty extreme. But we can't keep these standards for the coordinators, position coaches, etc, forever. Or we'll never be happy with any of them -- and pay the price for the constant churn there that results.