Does MR need to reshuffle the coaching staff or keep it the same?

Does MR need to reshuffle the coaching staff or keep it the same?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see MR do to keep the Huskers improving?

• Make no coaching staff changes. Continuity is what this team has been missing and it has helped us in the past.
    • Give his assistants until the end of the year to show if they can improve their product on the field.
    • Make changes on the offensive side of the ball, (without naming names).
    • Make changes on the defensive side of the ball, (without naming names).
    • None of the above (looking for some other bigger change).

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2017 at 06:00 AM

11 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Since nobody really addressed this, I'll give it a shot.  Frost was recruited by and played for Bill Walsh.  I'm not sure if you're familiar with Bill Walsh, but he's a Hall of Fame coach who won three Super Bowls and also popularized the west coast offense.  After Walsh resigned from Stanford, Frost transferred to Nebraska where he played for TO.  After his collegiate career had come to an end, Frost was drafted by the New York Jets where the coach happened to be a guy named Bill Parcels.  I'm not sure if you're familiar with Bill Parcels, but he's a Hall of Fame coach who won two Super Bowls.  Along the way in his NFL career, Frost was also coached by maybe a couple of guys you've heard about:  Bill Belichick and Jon Gruden. 

Thus far into his career, Frost had played for a guy who popularized the west coast offense.  He'd also played for TO.  I'd say he had about as good of mentors as one could possibly have when it comes to offense.  However, this isn't where his experience stops.  He joined Chip Kelly's staff at Oregon where he was involved in running the spread option.  I'd say he's about as well versed in different offensive philosophies as one could possibly be. 

It should be noted that Frost hasn't always been simply an offensive coach.  He played defense in the NFL.  One of his first coaching jobs was as a linebacker coach at Northern Iowa.  Later, he was promoted to co-DC where his defense ranked in the top 10 in FCS.  He's about as well rounded of a coach as you're possibly going to find out there.  He played both offense and defense at Stanford.  He played offense at Nebraska.  He played defense in the NFL.  He's coached both sides of the ball.  He's been coached by some of the absolute best coaches in the business.  He's the son of a coach.  Plus, he's probably one of the smartest people involved in the coaching industry today. 

Frost is currently in his second year at UCF.  He took over a team that didn't win a single game the season before he got there.  In his first year, he had them bowl eligible.  In his second year, they are 4-0 and currently ranked in the top 25.  One can't help but wonder if Helfrich would still be employed at Oregon had Frost stayed on as OC.  In Frost's last year as Oregon's OC, Oregon averaged 43 points per game.  The following year without Frost, Oregon averaged 35. 

Frost is from small town Nebraska.  He grew up a Husker fan.  His dad played for the Huskers.  He won a NC as a Husker.  One of the biggest reasons Chip Kelly brought Frost onto his staff was to implement toughness especially amongst the WR group.  Frost has seen us win.  Frost made us winners as a player.  I can't think of many who are more knowledgeable in what it takes to win at Nebraska than Frost.  Everywhere he goes, the team he's coaching becomes a lot more physical.  This is essentially what's been missing here for quite some time.    

Bravo, bravo.

On 10/9/2017 at 10:09 AM, El Diaco said:

I don't think it's salvageable at this point with MR in charge but, just to get to the end of this season, I sure would like to see some changes on the offensive side of the ball. I'd start with relegating DL to QB coach (sorry- I named names) and have somebody else developing the game plan and calling the plays. Not impressed with Langsdorf at all. Although I'm not convinced MR would be much different. I think they both have too much of the pro game mind set and neither one apparently wants to really establish a viable running game. But we might as well find out cuz sh#t don't matter anymore at this point anyway. Personally, I think Riley has checked out and isn't prepared to make anymore staff changes like he did the last 2 years.

He's a west coach offense guy right?  I doubt there is anything anyone could do mid season of the QB is not hitting the quick passes, and it looks like Mr Lee is not ready.

8 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

He's a west coach offense guy right?  I doubt there is anything anyone could do mid season of the QB is not hitting the quick passes, and it looks like Mr Lee is not ready.

A big part of the problem is that we don’t really know if he can hit those quick passes. Not sure I’ve seen more than 1 or 2 quick hitters called. IMO the OC is a much bigger detriment to our offense than the QB who is leading the country in pick sixes.

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, Saunders said:

I've been banging this drum since last year. Some people like to ignore it, but it's an incontrovertible truth.

Do you know which part of the podcast it was?

It was from hour 4 on Monday, I think. It was where he started to talk about "is it time to think about a new coach". He went pretty detailed about how guys don't win or improve things significantly by year 3, they basically never will.

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It was from hour 4 on Monday, I think. It was where he started to talk about "is it time to think about a new coach". He went pretty detailed about how guys don't win or improve things significantly by year 3, they basically never will.

Cool, that's matching the data I've seen too, I'll check it out. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Wisconsin has 2 former NU coaches on staff....

True, but Gilmore hasn't done anything to make me wish he was back here. I don't know how much of it you can attribute to coaching, but it seems like their receivers are always good for a couple drops. The exceptions are the walk-ons that turn into really good players like Abbrederis/Alex Erickson, but for the most part it seems like they have athletic guys who are really inconsistent. It's not a problem for them if they run for 300+ though.

Mike needs to reshuffle his speed dial numbers around in his flip phone to include, but not limited to :  Two Men and a Truck, College Hunks Hauling junk, and Uhaul. because these guy ain't getting another year at DONU. Shoot he already fired half his staff since 2015, he is the problem, not his subordinates. 

Just now, timmytbro said:

Mike needs to reshuffle his speed dial numbers around in his flip phone to include, but not limited to :  Two Men and a Truck, College Hunks Hauling junk, and Uhaul. because these guy ain't getting another year at DONU. Shoot he already fired half his staff since 2015, he is the problem, not his subordinates. 

Guys*