Paging Mike Riley, OSU Job Open Again!

Chumpy34

http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/index.ssf/2017/10/despite_issues_within_the_prog.html

One source close to Andersen said the two talked over the weekend. At the time, the source said, Andersen conceded there were problems on the staff, but gave no indication he planned to leave.

"Gary told me he would get it figured out," the source said. "I was shocked. I had more faith in him as a long-time coach for us than anybody we've had except for Dennis Erickson."

1 minute ago, Husker66 said:

Ouch

I added the first sentence to give context to that gem.  The source was "close" to Andersen but the statement makes it sound like the source has been at OSU for a long time.

Leaving $12M behind sounds strange but I think Andersen is kind of strange or has certain principles that he stands by.  Leaving Wiscy for OSU is strange but I don't think he liked Alvarez meddling with the team.  There a lot of pieces out there but I'm not sure what they add up to.  Some good OSU players transferred and another Oregonlive article said a lot of players were medically retired.  A lot of players were upset (crying) when he announced he was quitting. Apparently there was a lot of squabbling among assistants and funds for a $1M weight room were frozen.  Andersen was disappointed in the results this season.  The AD was a good friend who was also his AD at Utah and they talked weekly.  Andersen is probably too young to retire.  IDK, unless something else comes out I think on field results weren't going the way Andersen wanted and he felt the best thing to do was step aside.  Also, not sticking his AD friend with a $12M bill was the right thing to do.   Maybe Andersen was dealing with some personal issues that haven't came out but I don't think there were misdeeds.  Still seems strange.

John Canzano posted weeks of text-message exchanges with Oregon State coach Gary Andersen. Fascinating read. Here’s one of them:

Andersen (Sept. 20): "I hired the wrong (expletive) guys and are still working our way through a bunch of recruiting years that stunk!! It's year three! If these (expletives) can't get it right I will not just say fire them and start over!! That's not the way to go about it. If I (expletive) it up that bad I will take the bullet and ride off into the sunset! I will stay old school!! I will not die doing this (expletive)!! Stay tuned!"

OWH