Sexism - It's a Real Thing

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am joking.  I just don't want to be accused of mansplaining, so I decided to make a joke here first.

I've never seen anyone on this forum accuse anyone of mansplaining, no one in that topic accused anyone of mansplaining, and what is happening in that topic in conversations with ladyhawke is not an example of mansplaining. So I'm not sure what the joke is or why you're making it.

This topic right here is not about mansplaining. The tag is there for a different reason. The times it has been brought up in this topic the things that were said were said previously, so they're just rehashing a conversation that's been had. Most of these things were stated in the OP of the other topic. For instance in the article about mansplaining that was linked, the quote from the post includes 3 things that myself and others stated in the original topic: the term "mansplaining" is often used to generalize, over simplify, and to win arguments (i.e. as a "trump card").

Edited by Moiraine

Get the eff out, Geraldo Rivera: 

"Sad about @MLauer great guy, highly skilled & empathetic w guests & a real gentleman to my family & me. News is a flirty business & it seems like current epidemic of #SexHarassmentAllegations may be criminalizing courtship & conflating it w predation. What about #GarrisonKeillor?"

"This issue is so red hot right now there is no room for any thought or opinion but hang em high. If News wasn’t (formerly) a flirty biz then how do we explain so many newsroom courtships that have led to happy marriages?"

Matt Lauer is not a "great guy", for any possible definition of the term. 

This definition of "flirting" not only trivializes sexual harassment and assault, it encourages it. It's dangerous, threatening garbage. I cannot imagine working in the same company as someone so hostile towards women as Rivera. The world he pines for and the environment he creates is one where predation is encouraged, and impunity is demanded.

Edited by zoogs
  • Plus1 2

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/146052/course-geraldo-rivera-defending-matt-lauer

Geraldo Rivera published a book in 1991 boasting about sexually assaulting Bette Midler and claiming she loved it. Her version of the story is that she did not ask for it and that it was awful. She said this on a TV interview also in 1991.

Turns out that the accounts of predators may not always be reliable! How shocking.

Rivera's career has continued apace since then, because this is the world in which we live. Men get to boast and lie their way about this s#!t to the top, and we let it happen. It's hard to believe that the world did not care enough in 1991. It's, well hopefully, anyway, no longer the case. I hope at least that we can see all of this as more reason to stop saying, "Hmmm, odd timing. Why's it only coming out now? Suspicious claims by a woman."

• Plus1 1