People hate nice homes?

I thought this was an interesting video. I had never heard the term "McMansion" before, I always called them "nice homes". 

The criticism in this video is kind of odd as well, not to mention her calling owners of these homes pretentious is..... ironic after watching the video.

My first question to her would be: Why?..... Second question: What did these homes, or the people who own them ever do to you?

Looks like a whole lot of jealousy to me.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/business/mcmansions-the-houses-that-people-love-to-hate/2017/06/26/9e8d16c8-29c9-11e7-9081-f5405f56d3e4_video.html?utm_term=.338583b888a2

• Plus1 1

Just now, QMany said:

I've heard "McMansion" before but not defined those ways. Usually it was just referring to the large suburban subdivisions where homes have little-to-no design variety.

Yeah...like there were 8 types of homes in a subdivision with like 200 houses...so there was not a lot of differences.  They were usually "nice" and big too.  Like a non-starter home development.

I can't imagine why anyone would hate/be mad at another persons house. 

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The people that are against McMansions will always say "those people don't NEED all that space".  They are probably right that those size homes aren't a need, but it would be nice to have all that space in a home.  If the homeowners are willing to pay more for a size of a house they don't "need", who really cares?

She described a "McMansion" starting at around 3,000 sq ft. That's not a ton of room. My house is 2,700  and we're actually waiting on drawings from a contractor now to add 600-700. We feel like we need the room, and only have three kids.

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

She described a "McMansion" starting at around 3,000 sq ft. That's not a ton of room. My house is 2,700  and we're actually waiting on drawings from a contractor now to add 600-700. We feel like we need the room, and only have three kids.

Would you like me to do the addition?  I have a hammer and like two screwdrivers.  

• Plus1 1

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

Damn capitalist!!!  I'm just joking.  I think 3,000 sq. ft would be plenty big, but I can see how it would fill up with 3 or 4 kids.  My house is about 2,100 sq ft, and it feels small at times with 2 kids.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Damn capitalist!!!  I'm just joking.  I think 3,000 sq. ft would be plenty big, but I can see how it would fill up with 3 or 4 kids.  My house is about 2,100 sq ft, and it feels small at times with 2 kids.

Ha! Well part of our excuse/reasoning is that we're both business owners so we'd like to have "our space".... The plan is to add 3 'rooms'.... 2 of which will be smaller, and used as offices (our space).

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The people that are against McMansions will always say "those people don't NEED all that space".  They are probably right that those size homes aren't a need, but it would be nice to have all that space in a home.  If the homeowners are willing to pay more for a size of a house they don't "need", who really cares?

That is what I've never understood.  If someone lives in a 20,000 square foot house and they can afford it....who gives a rip?  It doesn't affect you.

In fact, the contractors and laborers that built the house probably are very glad that person spent so much money on their house.