People hate nice homes?

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

When we bought our new house a couple years ago this was one of the things that I didn't like about it. I wouldn't say it blocks 'most' of the house from the front, but enough that it bothered me at first.  My favorite part was the huge shop (I run a lawn/landscape company), and it sits on 12 acres. It's an odd deal, but I like it---It was suppose to be a 'country subdivision' originally, but the contractor went bankrupt, so when we bought the house, we also bought the rest of the vacant lots. So we have our own little private road leading back to the house. Our own neighborhood!  The only thing that worries me is that we're the only taxpayer out there so I'm not sure how excited the county will get about resealing our road.:lol:

Do you call your place the Hemingway Compound?  I know I would.

I'm actually acquainted with Kate Wagner :lol: she was at a Christmas party I was at in Seattle last year

She's an unabashedly uber-liberal leaning lady, which I'm sure comes as no surprise, so part of the idea is that these homes are excessive, cheap and wasteful. Part of the idea is millenial angst and jealousy because none of us can afford to buy anything :P But a big part of her blog is just for humor.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Do you call your place the Hemingway Compound?  I know I would.

I do now!

56 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's ironic that she's calling the McMansions pretentious, but she is being a pretentious architecture snob.

Yeah, that's kind of what I hinted  at in the OP. She's more pretentious than anyone could ever be by simply owning a home.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

When I was looking for my first house I had a price range in mind and when I would look it always seemed like the house that was just out of my range was the one that I liked more.  In the end I got a smoking deal on a short sale home and I really like my place.

You said you hated it earlier :P

18 minutes ago, Fru said:

In the video she never commented on an individual's integrity or character for buying a McMansion. As insufferable as she came off, she was making valid points about architectural integrity of the structures. 

The narrator commented on "pretentious suburban housing developments", so it may have not been the words of the Kate Wagner, it's the implied note of the video.  I agree that there are architectural issues with these homes, but she is also coming off as a pretentious architecture snob.

39 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The narrator commented on "pretentious suburban housing developments", so it may have not been the words of the Kate Wagner, it's the implied note of the video.  I agree that there are architectural issues with these homes, but she is also coming off as a pretentious architecture snob.

Just curious as to what is a common architectural issue with these homes. Seems like a blanket statement, when surely the quality of the contractor would play a large role. I know there's a lot of purposeless aesthetic things, but other than that?