Current players vs. Future Players - best Power Five offers

knapplc

3 hours ago, Coach Power'T said:

1 scholarship per year for 3 years. He didn't have to clean up anything. 

Helfrich leaned heavily on Mariota being a phenom and talent around him. He couldn't bring in that same talent or develop any kind of qb. Attitudes got stale under Helfrich. Do some homework. You'll find the quotes from players.

Aren't you leaving out the restriction on coaches who could officially recruit, and the contact restrictions among other things.

Think about what you're saying.  When Oregon was NOT on any NCAA recruiting restrictions, Chip Kelly needed a Street Agent to get talent to Oregon.  So you can't turn around and say, with recruiting restrictions and no Street Agent directing talent to Oregon. were minor details.  Sorry any reasonable person sees that for what it is. 

Helfrich was hamstrung compared to Chip. 

10 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Yes and I think it's a fair assumption.  He probably wouldn't have seen the field at Alabama.  He didn't go there so we will never know.  I know he is an average linemen at best 

You don't know that.  He was a way above average raw talent out of high school.  And there's two things I know.  

1. With good coaching, he would be an above average lineman.

2. He has not had good coaching.

19 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

You don't know that.  He was a way above average raw talent out of high school.  And there's two things I know.  

1. With good coaching, he would be an above average lineman.

2. He has not had good coaching.

Raw talent.. meaning he was big and could move a little.  He also probably played against lesser talent since he is from Canada.  Would he have gotten better coaching at Alabama, yes.  Would he be going against better competition in practice, yes. He would also have to beat out more talent on the depth chart.  I really don't think he lacks the physical tools it's his mentality.  He's had past teammates call him soft.  

On 10/10/2017 at 9:02 PM, jessica0 said:

If Riley continues to lose, and he will, he will be fired. This is Riley's 3rd year. That means players he has recruited should already be getting developed and becoming starters. When the OP is listing players that have not signed, there is an agenda. 

Disagree. Rileys first full class would be Sophomores at best this year. On a team with good talent Sophomores shouldn't be starting. But it is telling because we do have some RSFr. and Sophomores either starting or getting significant snaps. Maybe Rileys guys are more talented than the upperclassmen.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Disagree. Rileys first full class would be Sophomores at best this year. On a team with good talent Sophomores shouldn't be starting. But it is telling because we do have some RSFr. and Sophomores either starting or getting significant snaps. Maybe Rileys guys are more talented than the upperclassmen.

Um, Alabama and Clemson have been starting sophomores at various positions for years.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Bo's last two classes kind of missed on greatness on the defensive side of the ball. I don't think there was anything wrong with attempting to play a lot of young guys on defense because a new coach has to start fresh and build *some kind* of a multi-season plan to build something special. 

With a good offensive line this entire team looks different. The stats that @Isle of View posted about Wisconsin starting a lineup of 3* talent is pretty depressing. There's a lack of development there.

We have some coaching issues on offense and some scheme issues on defense. But talent doesn't really seem to be our problem.

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Um, Alabama and Clemson have been starting sophomores at various positions for years.

1 or 2 but they usually are loaded with upperclassmen talent as well. We have nearly zero talent in our senior class outside of CJ8, Kalu and Weber. It's completely different when you bring in elite talents and you are trying to find ways for them to get on the field as opposed to our only real option  is to play a young guy. 

Edit:I'd put DPE in my list of seniors as well, but you have to admit we are a little lacking in our senior class. It's not enough of an excuse to absolve Riley, but I'd say it still makes things tougher for this team but I think bodes well for next year's team.

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

This is 100% false. We currently start 6 soph/fr. The average for the current top 25 teams is 6.24. We start 3 soph/fr "in the trenches", the top 25 starts 2.56. 

Btw Bama and Clemson start 6 total each, not 1-2.... same with PennSt and UGA. 

• Plus1 4
26 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

It's not enough of an excuse to absolve Riley, but I'd say it still makes things tougher for this team but I think bodes well for next year's team.

Agreed. Another reason that I think that if:

1. We bring in a good offensive line coach

and

2. Diaco adjusts to playing against the run in the Big 10

we have a team that's playing much better football.

There's so much black and white on this forum of whether or Riley's "The Guy." He might not be "The Guy," but his supporting cast is really the biggest factor right now and whether we like it or not, he might be coaching next season. He needs to fire Cavanaugh immediately.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

This is 100% false. We currently start 6 soph/fr. The average for the current top 25 teams is 6.24. We start 3 soph/fr "in the trenches", the top 25 starts 2.56. 

Btw Bama and Clemson start 6 total each, not 1-2.... same with PennSt and UGA. 

OSU will have around 8 SO/FR starting this week vs Nebraska with 2 SO starting on the Oline. Many more SO/FR will see significant minutes. 

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2017/10/86423/matthew-burrell-demetrius-knox-listed-as-co-starters-at-right-guard-erick-smith-back-on-ohio-states-depth-chart-at

When they won the NC in 2014 they were really young and unproven. JT Barrett that year was a rsFR. If you recruit well, the good ones won't be around for more than 3 years in the system. 

• Plus1 3

It could possibly be said that the younger guys that are playing have more talent than the guys that were upperclassmen that Bo recruited in his last two seasons.

Making the argument that things could be better next year (regardless of who the coach is) seems like a fairly reasonable one to me.