I'm just getting started in woodworking. I did a couple end tables that looked nice but didn't survive our last move. Now I've convinced the wife to let me build a new kitchen table to replace the durable but ugly one we picked up at Sam's Club years ago. If that goes well, I'll take a shot at a large dining room table.

• Plus1 1

I made a spice rack in 9th grade shop class. It pretty much sucked but my mom used it for years. My dad was really good working with wood, me not so much. He made all kinds of furniture and even built a lute from scratch. I'm okay with carpentry but apparently I don't have the patience for fine woodworking.

2 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

I made a spice rack in 9th grade shop class. It pretty much sucked but my mom used it for years. My dad was really good working with wood, me not so much. He made all kinds of furniture and even built a lute from scratch. I'm okay with carpentry but apparently I don't have the patience for fine woodworking.

Carpentry, as in? Like Sheetrock, etc?

I built a shop last year so wood working can be my new hobby.  It's pretty nice with enough space.  I built a special sized cabinet for a bathroom I remodeled.

Then....my son who has decided to now be a car guy, bought a truck and now my woodworking shop is his car shop.:angry:  But, I'm having fun working on his truck with him.  He'll be gone next year and it will go back to being my wood working shop.  

My next project will be a night stand.  I then want to build an entertainment cabinet for the living room.

I have some very old wood from an old barn my ancestors built along with a building my grandfather built.  I've played around with it some and built a stool for the wood shop.  It looks pretty dang cool when sanded and oiled.

On 10/13/2017 at 2:24 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Something that I have found in doing projects like this and working with my son on his truck.  So much of projects like this is math. My son has always done well in math.  But, I think this has opened his eyes up to really understand how important being good at math is in so many things you do.

Lots of geometry in wood working and similar fields.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:45 PM, RedDenver said:

Lots of geometry in wood working and similar fields.

And algebra and trig. I use all 3 pretty much daily in my job. I wish I was good with calculus and would've taken math classes further than that because there have been times I could've used it but probably not needed for the typical woodworking project.