Racism - It's a real thing.

20 hours ago, funhusker said:

Does it make me a bad person if this is the first thing that popped into my head:

Image result for michael scott racist workshop

Last night I was sitting around with a group of guys and one saw this headline on his phone.  Everyone was talking about how stupid it is for Starbucks to do this.  Now, they were all Republican typical group from central Nebraska.

Have to say, I probably agree with them....but maybe for differing reasons.

This just seems like a ploy to try to save face by the company.  Symbolic with little substance.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:00 PM, Fru said:

Interesting how all these cops didn't fear for their lives. 

:lame:facepalm:

I'd like to hear from you how this proves that racism is a real thing? Seems like you are doing nothing but trying to stir the proverbial pot here. No posting other links to try and prove your point either, I want to hear how this specific video clip fits what you're trying to say. Because to me you're trying to push that if this individual was a minority things would've been handled differently. You obviously don't know that so it gives the appearance you're doing nothing, but trying to cause problems and continue to drive, simply put, a B.S. narrative. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

:lame:facepalm:

I'd like to hear from you how this proves that racism is a real thing? Seems like you are doing nothing but trying to stir the proverbial pot here. No posting other links to try and prove your point either, I want to hear how this specific video clip fits what you're trying to say. Because to me you're trying to push that if this individual was a minority things would've been handled differently. You obviously don't know that so it gives the appearance you're doing nothing, but trying to cause problems and continue to drive, simply put, a B.S. narrative. 

This specific video clip is interesting because it shows a white guy physically assaulting an officer, and he doesn't get shot, yet we hear over and over again that officers "feared for their lives" as a defense for shooting someone, like Betty Shelby for example. She fears for her life when she sees Terence Crutcher with his hands in the air, so she shoots him dead. 

A white dude can tackle a cop to the ground and nothing happens, a black dude has his hands in the air and he ends up dead. Dylann Roof murders nine and the police give him a bullet proof vest. Eric Garner sells untaxed cigarettes and he gets choked to death in teh street. That's the point. It's not a BS narrative and I am not trying to stir the pot. You have a vested interest in this matter which seems like it makes it difficult for you to see anything from a different point of view. 

9 minutes ago, Fru said:

This specific video clip is interesting because it shows a white guy physically assaulting an officer, and he doesn't get shot, yet we hear over and over again that officers "feared for their lives" as a defense for shooting someone, like Betty Shelby for example. She fears for her life when she sees Terence Crutcher with his hands in the air, so she shoots him dead. 

A white dude can tackle a cop to the ground and nothing happens, a black dude has his hands in the air and he ends up dead. Dylann Roof murders nine and the police give him a bullet proof vest. Eric Garner sells untaxed cigarettes and he gets choked to death in teh street. That's the point. It's not a BS narrative and I am not trying to stir the pot. You have a vested interest in this matter which seems like it makes it difficult for you to see anything from a different point of view. 

Just like I suspected....... thanks for confirming my point. Your past posts on this matter already let me know everything I needed to know. You just don't care for me calling you out on pure B.S. as I've done in the past. You're making assumptions and trying to pass it off as fact IMO. SMH 

And just so we're clear I've got zero issue calling cops out when they're in the wrong. I do have an issue when you try and paint us all with a broad brush with ridiculous comments like the one above. 

• Plus1 3
13 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Just like I suspected....... thanks for confirming my point. Your past posts on this matter already let me know everything I needed to know. You just don't care for me calling you out on pure B.S. as I've done in the past. You're making assumptions and trying to pass it off as fact IMO. SMH 

And just so we're clear I've got zero issue calling cops out when they're in the wrong. I do have an issue when you try and paint us all with a broad brush with ridiculous comments like the one above. 

I know that you have a pretty low opinion of me, and I get why. Some of my past posts were unnecessary and wrong, I admitted it and reached out to you to try and rectify it as best as possible. 

However, in this thread I posted a video that I found interesting and thought related to how people of different races have a different experience with police. You responded to it by calling me lame and saying my post is BS. I tried to engage you in a civil manner and give other examples, and you continue to call it all BS.  

Maybe the damage has been done so that a conversation about this can't be had between you and I which is unfortunate, and I acknowledge my role in that. I would actually very much enjoy an open conversation about this topic as it is important to a lot of people in this country. 

On 4/15/2018 at 4:08 PM, Whistlebritches said:

The next time someone says they don't understand what 'white privileged' is, show them this story.

Some of the things from this story just don't add up.  Did the Starbucks manager call the cops because they are black or because they came in, used the bathroom, and sat at a table without ordering anything?  It sounds like the manager asked them if they were going to order something.  All they had to do was tell the manager they were waiting for someone and would order when he (she?) arrived in a few minutes.  Isn't that what most anyone would do?  Or did I misunderstand what happened?  :dunno 

3 minutes ago, NUance said:

Some of the things from this story just don't add up.  Did the Starbucks manager call the cops because they are black or because they came in, used the bathroom, and sat at a table without ordering anything?  It sounds like the manager asked them if they were going to order something.  All they had to do was tell the manager they were waiting for someone and would order when he (she?) arrived in a few minutes.  Isn't that what most anyone would do?  Or did I misunderstand what happened?  :dunno 

I don't know what exactly was said back and forth.  But, witnesses said they did absolutely nothing that would warrant calling the police and getting arrested.

49 minutes ago, NUance said:

Not a week later there was another incident of a black man going into Starbucks, saying he was going to order but he needed to use the restroom first and the manager wouldn't give him the bathroom code. A few minutes later the black guy sees a white guy exit the bathroom and finds out he hadn't purchased anything yet he asked the manager why they let the white guy use the restroom and not him. The black guy was then kicked out of the Starbucks.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/starbucks-employee-denies-black-man-access-restroom-article-1.3938440

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Not a week later there was another incident of a black man going into Starbucks, saying he was going to order but he needed to use the restroom first and the manager wouldn't give him the bathroom code. A few minutes later the black guy sees a white guy exit the bathroom and finds out he hadn't purchased anything yet he asked the manager why they let the white guy use the restroom and not him. The black guy was then kicked out of the Starbucks.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/starbucks-employee-denies-black-man-access-restroom-article-1.3938440

Now THAT makes sense for a valid complaint.   I mean, if this second Starbucks denied the black guy for lack of purchase, then then allows white guys bathroom privileges without purchases, then it's clearly a case of bias.  

My point above in regards to the first Starbucks was: Can't a store deny a person use of their restrooms if they don't make a purchase?  I've had clerks tell me that I couldn't use their bathroom unless I made a purchase.  So I made a purchase.  Or I let them know I would be making a purchase shortly.  If the guys in the first Starbucks had simply said they would be buying coffee as soon as their friend showed up then it wouldn't have turned into a whole s#!tstorm.  OTOH, it seems waaay out of line for the manager to call the cops just because a couple of guys sit down without buying a cup of coffee right then.   I feel sorry for the unfortunate cop who was called to handle this.    

22 minutes ago, NUance said:

Now THAT makes sense for a valid complaint.   I mean, if this second Starbucks denied the black guy for lack of purchase, then then allows white guys bathroom privileges without purchases, then it's clearly a case of bias.  

My point above in regards to the first Starbucks was: Can't a store deny a person use of their restrooms if they don't make a purchase? I've had clerks tell me that I couldn't use their bathroom unless I made a purchase.  So I made a purchase.  Or I let them know I would be making a purchase shortly.  If the guys in the first Starbucks had simply said they would be buying coffee as soon as their friend showed up then it wouldn't have turned into a whole s#!tstorm. 

Without reading again, I believe the same thing happened at the first Starbucks.

Ok I looked it up - this is from the original incident:

Lauren said another woman had entered the Starbucks minutes before the men were arrested and was given the bathroom code without having to buy anything and that another person in the restaurant at the time of the incident "announced that she had been sitting at Starbucks for the past couple of hours without buying anything."

This backs up the idea that the police were called because they were black, not because they were doing anything they don't let other customers do.

To the bolded - it seems like you're making an assumption that they didn't say anything to that effect.

• Plus1 1