Racism - It's a real thing.

On 8/12/2018 at 7:36 PM, Ric Flair said:

The key differences for me are that racial distinctions fly in the face of American values, divide us along racial lines

America was founded with slavery divided along racial lines, and grown to prosperity off the back of slave labor divided along racial lines. Racial distinction is, historically and fundamentally, as an abstract idea and as literal as a constitution, more of an American value than almost anything else. 

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Landlord said:

America was founded with slavery divided along racial lines, and grown to prosperity off the back of slave labor divided along racial lines. Racial distinction is, historically and fundamentally, as an abstract idea and as literal as a constitution, more of an American value than almost anything else. 

Slavery ended in 1865. The Civil Rights Act passed in 1964. Trillions of dollars have been spent trying to remedy the effects of slavery and historic discrimination. 

The goal is to have a color-blind society where people are valued based on the content of their character not the color of their skin. So how do we get there by judging and valuing people based on their skin color?

“Thank you for your interest in careers at Mantality Health. Unfortunately we do not consider candidates that have suggestive ‘ghetto’ names. We wish the best in your career search,” reads the rejection letter, which Robinson posted to Facebook on Monday. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/multiple-women-were-rejected-from-jobs-because-of-their-ghetto-names_us_5b757be4e4b0df9b093cdd40

The company claims they were hacked, at the bottom of the article that is being denied as well.

Indeed.com, the job site that hosted the Mantality Health application, said in a statement that they do not believe their site was hacked. 

“Account security is of utmost importance to Indeed and something that we diligently monitor,” the statement reads. “Account holders are responsible for use of their password and we recommend frequent updates and complete confidentiality of your password. Our investigation into this particular account shows no evidence of compromise.”  

This is so Iowa.

This story is really something else. But more than anything, it interests me because you can draw a line straight through Trump getting elected to intensified racism in our country.

Administrative Law Judge Beth Scheetz had originally approved Diers's request for aid, saying that derogatory comments about "blacks and foreigners" were commonplace at the commercial washer and dryer manufacturing plant where Diers worked.

“Since President Trump’s election, it was common for workers to talk about hating blacks or hating foreigners,” Scheetz wrote in her ruling. “If management wishes all workers to be treated with respect, it must enforce respectful treatment amongst co-workers and supervisors, and apply those expectations consistently throughout the chain of command."

Diers testified at her unemployment hearing that she was frustrated by a co-worker “dancing and singing Mexican” early in the morning before Cinco de Mayo. Diers acknowledged that she hated "f---ing Mexicans" in front of several coworkers.

The newspaper reported that Diers later tried to clarify that she meant she only hated “illegal Mexicans.”

“We talk about everything out on the floor — whether it’s the president or the vice president,” Diers testified. “There has been talk on the floor: Some people don’t like blacks, certain people don’t like Mexicans, certain people don’t like foreigners. We talk, and then we just move on.”

Diers reportedly told Scheetz that rhetoric against African-Americans and immigrants intensified since Trump took office.

“There was a lot of controversy out on the floor during the presidential election,” she testified. 

This is all kinds of nuts. It has a happy ending, though.

Iowa's Employment Appeals Board, however, ruled that Diers was clearly violating the company’s definition of misconduct and reversed Scheetz’s decision on the woman's unemployment claim.

“Her clarification that she only meant ‘illegal’ Mexicans does not absolve her of culpability,” the board wrote, according to The Register.

15 minutes ago, commando said:

i don't think i quoted anyone for that post.   if it somehow did i don't know how.   

You did by accident but I really enjoyed the tweet so I'm not complaining. The more time goes on, the more I embrace Trump as president. He is terrible but I think this time of unique division will hopefully lead to a time of unique unity. I think this turbulant time may be a sign of change, a sign new ideas are emerging and old paradigms are dying. 

So, there's a strong, female, black, democratic candidate running for governor in GA ... think this is at all connected?   The county is 60% african americans and they're planning to close 7/9 polling sites.  Supposedly "access" is an issue.  (btw they were used just a month ago when the R's were running in primaries)

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

So, there's a strong, female, black, democratic candidate running for governor in GA ... think this is at all connected?   The county is 60% african americans and they're planning to close 7/9 polling sites.  Supposedly "access" is an issue.  (btw they were used just a month ago when the R's were running in primaries)

the magic 8-ball says....oh hell yes!