Bargain shopping

When we hire our next coach I hope we don't go discount bargain shopping. While I don't think it is wise to throw exceptional amount of money on an unproven coach, in today's age of football you have to pay any one 3-4 million to stay competitive and if it is a proven coach perhaps more.

Too often i feel nebraska makes itself less attractive not because of unrealistic expectations, or because of location, but because we try to get a "bargain" and expect them to do their job as good as people making 2-3 time the amount. As a result it seems likely we will be paying 3 coaches salaries; riley's, pelini's, and the new coach.

If I was ad, for my next hire, I think I would right a contract where there was a base salary of 3-4 million then a million extra for every win after 8. This way every year a person would earn their paycheck.

http://www.midlandathletics.com/coach/14/6.php

Not sure a candidate could check more boxes. Former Nebraska player. Used to be an Assistant AD at Nebraska. Was a walk on. Academic All-American. Turned around a 1-10 team his first year to 7-4 in year two. 

Like you said no Bargains though. We are going to need to break out the checkbook to get him away from Midland. Tradition Coalition unite!

The amount you need to pay will depend on a few factors. For example, Paul Chryst was at Pitt but it didn't take much for him to go back home and Barry knew that. It was a cheap transaction that is a perfect fit for their school. Now, go and look at Michigan. They had to drive a dump truck into Harbaugh's backyard to pull him away from the NFL. Alabama had to pay big money in order to pull Saban away from the Dolphins. 

For Nebraska, depending on the target, they will need to pay at least $5M a year to get a top 25ish level coach. Tom Herman is close to $6M at Texas. That is the kind of hire that Nebraska needs to make. Scott Frost gets paid $2M/year. There is going to be some competition to land him. I don't see Frost taking up an offer below $5M. 

I think if Nebraska pays below $4.5M/year it will end up being another failed hire. There is no Paul Chryst that will come on the cheap. 

• Plus1 1