Lack of talent

I’m going to say this, my opinion is Nebraska lacks talent. Their best player last season couldn’t make an NFL practice squad. Who on this team is an elite difference maker that you can rely on? We have no one. Look at years past we had Abdullah, David, Amukamara, Dennard, Compton, Helu, Suh, heck even Martinez. This team lacks talent so much. Maybe our young guys might be a great player, but right now I think we are far from coaching. (Even though I think this staff isn’t great by any means) could Coach Bo win with these players?

Lastly, is Nebraska getting worse, or is the rest of the conference just getting better? Or both? I think the conference is definitely getting better. 

3 minutes ago, Saunders said:

How many times are we going to bring up this narrative?

We are getting more raw talent than anyone else in our division. We aren't developing and coaching it, and that's why we're losing.

The end.

I am thinking this is the new "toxins" right?

I guess this means that there are not many excuses left, right?  If Riley wasn't nice and friendly and personable these excuses would all be gone by now.  We have used up the...

New offense

Wait for the statue qb

New defense

Toxins

Texts from former coaches (or was that under toxins)

Now it is recruiting rankings

By my count...that is all of them!

Could it be that a guy who has coached like 150 games and is around .500 is just that...

• Plus1 8

We have the talent. We do not have the staff to maximize said talent.......Recruiting service are not perfect, but when one looks at the totality of the composites, NU is higher than any team in the West and generally would be considered the 4th best in the East......That's coaching.  Look at the play calling by Langs, the defensive fronts of Diaco....That's poor coaching.  Look at the improvements on OL due to replacements because of injuries...That's coaching.

Do people really think a coach who can't even manage the clock after 40 years of coaching is really going to be able to maximize talent.....Remember when people said he would be able to do so much more with more talent, facilities, etc.......Well the proof is currently in the pudding that he hasn't and isn't going to get NU where it wants to be.  That's coaching....

• Plus1 7
27 minutes ago, lo country said:

We have the talent. We do not have the staff to maximize said talent.......Recruiting service are not perfect, but when one looks at the totality of the composites, NU is higher than any team in the West and generally would be considered the 4th best in the East......That's coaching.  Look at the play calling by Langs, the defensive fronts of Diaco....That's poor coaching.  Look at the improvements on OL due to replacements because of injuries...That's coaching.

Do people really think a coach who can't even manage the clock after 40 years of coaching is really going to be able to maximize talent.....Remember when people said he would be able to do so much more with more talent, facilities, etc.......Well the proof is currently in the pudding that he hasn't and isn't going to get NU where it wants to be.  That's coaching....

Agreed!

It is not a slam to call a coach average.  They keep records and it is easy to see who is average and that is what Riley is.  The real issue is not that Riley is average as a coach it is that for the longest time "experts" wanted to jock him up as this coach that was average due to his environment but that really wasn't the case.  People also liked to pretend that the 45 pound plates in Corvallis were not 45 pounds...and that they only had one squat rack...Riley isn't a bad coach he is just average.  

• Plus1 3

I have never seen this board as a whole, in such a wreck.  Every thread, a disaster, every post a speculation.  As mere fans of football, the sensible among us must admit, that we know little about how to right this ship.  We are amateurs after all.    Nor do we know when or if it will be righted.  

All we know is that we live to fight another day.  And though the outcome is in doubt, fight we must!

• Plus1 5
6 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Sorry, but the recruiting services aren't God.  Anybody with eyes can see we lack talent.  The fact that half of our starters didn't receive any other D1 offers says it all.  

Now you're just making stuff up.  I heard that Riley makes the players chug 6 shots of Fireball before every practice.  That's just as true as your claim.

• Plus1 2

I don't think it's hard to get a class that is #25-#30. It takes like four 4:star players is all. We aren't on the same planet as the top three consistent teams the past 5 years, but we are better than teams in the West - this is why we need to be competing for the West every single year. 

I do think the lack of 'next level' players has been an issue though in the recent past. Next level meaning athleticism/measurables mixed with a little bit of IT factor coming out of HS. I thought that the 17' class had 3 NL with 3 others who have high potential to be good college players. DT looks to be the breakout 3* at this point, but it's early. 

NL

Guy Thomas

Damion Daniels 

Tyjon Lindsey 

---------------------------------------- 

Jaevon McQuitty 

Tristan Gebbia 

Avery Roberts

As much as I liked our 17' class, let's take a look at the top 5 B10 teams in terms of recent year's W/L's....Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State have a large advantage going forward while Wisconsin and Michigan State continue to out kick their recruiting. 

Ohio State: (6) 5:star (11) 4:star

Michigan (3) 5:star (16) 4:star

Penn State (1) 5:star (10) 4:star

Wisconsin (5) 4:star

Michigan State (4) 4:star

---------------------------------------------------

Nebraska (7) 4:star

This shows me that we aren't coaching these kids up, or aren't recruiting to fit the scheme and needs of the team, but just trying to get talent and hoping they pan out. ---Three positions I think we lack soooo bad at are LB, TE, and OT. You need good LB play if you want to ever beat Wisconsin. 

In some very important areas Nebraska does lack talent.  

Nebraska lacks talent at RB.  They have decent backs, but they don't have anyone on their roster that looks like Barkley,  Johnathan Taylor, Watley or any of the backs at OSU.  We haven't had a back that can just run away from people for a long time.  Even Ameer Abdullah didn't have that speed.  Look at Johnathan Taylor that kid is a freshman and is the 4th leading rusher in the nation right now.  Yeah he has a great line to run behind, but Ozigbo, Bryant, or Wilbon is not breaking through the LOS and running 75 yards for a TD like he did.  

Nebraska lacks talent at TE.  I am not even talking about catching footballs.  I am talking about blocking.  I lot of what NU wants to do in the run game is very dependent on good TE blocking and we don't get that a lot of the time.  Troy Fumagali is not just a great pass catching TE he is also a great blocking TE.  Iowa, Michigan, MSU, PSU, OSU, Wisconsin, all have great TE.  Nebraska could benefit greatly from an Aaron Golladay or Mark Gilman type TE right now that could block first and then catch.  

Nebraska Lacks talent at the offensive tackle spot.  Everyone they have playing would make a great guard.  They are short on true tackles.  That is why you have a true freshman playing at RT right now.  Unlike most of you guys I think the O-line is very steadily getting better.  They played way better against Wisconsin than I expected.  

NU lacks talent at the OLB spot.  I think Gifford is good and will be even better next year.  I think Ben Stille will be pretty good, but he is a RS frosh that just switched positions.  But after that they are lacking badly.  I have never thought Marcus Newby was ever that good.  Sedrick King?,  Adams?  

They lack talent at CB which is a surprise.  They have missed on guys.  Eric Lee and Avery Anderson were both 4* guys that were suppose to be real good.  Lee is playing out of a lack of anyone else were is Anderson?  Haven't heard a peep out of them.  

The talent at these positions is nothing better than average for a team like Nebraska. 

Part of the problem is the overall lack of talent at these spots from the state of Nebraska.  Nebraska always used to have at least 1 good RB from Nebraska on the roster.  Forever Central out of Omaha produced a great back.  Heck Damon Benning, Clinton Childs, and Ahman Green were all from Nebraska and all on the roster at the same time.  Calvin Jones, Kieth Jones, Leodis Flowers, Ken Clark all these guys were from Nebraska.  Who is the last great back from Nebraska?  

Nebraska has some good talent at spots they have good talent at QB, inside backer, D-line, safety,  and WR they just need more.