Lack of talent

2 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

I have never seen this board as a whole, in such a wreck.  Every thread, a disaster, every post a speculation.  As mere fans of football, the sensible among us must admit, that we know little about how to right this ship.  We are amateurs after all.    Nor do we know when or if it will be righted.  

All we know is that we live to fight another day.  And though the outcome is in doubt, fight we must!

It's the same damn thing post after post

1 hour ago, Huskers44 said:

So I guess we have some guys like Abdullah, Suh, David, and others on this team. I call BS. We don’t have one player on this team worthy of being drafted inside round 6. How many of our players start at Clemson, Ohio State, Alabama? I’d hope maybe 1. 

What about Wisconsin?

• Plus1 2

I'm good with guys like:

POB, Gebbia

Morgan, Lindsey, Spielman, Pierson-El, McQuitty

Ozigbo, Bryant, Bradley, Mazour(if he ever sees the field)

Jaimes, Farmer, Foster, Gates, Farniok, Raridon, Decker

Thomas, Davis, Davis, Neal, Jackson, Stoltenberg (kinda)

Roberts, Gifford, Alexander, Stille, Barry, Ferguson & Weber

Reed, Bootle, Williams, Dismuke, Domann, Anderson, Jackson, Lee, Jones, Kalu, Williams & Jackson

Drew Brown, Lightbourn, Ober

Give a good coaching staff that team and they'll beat most teams on our schedule this year. 

It's not a lack of talent. It's coaching.  We need a better system on both sides of the ball and we need a better mentality from both staff & players.

• Plus1 6

Just now, knapplc said:

I'm good with guys like:

POB, Gebbia

Morgan, Lindsey, Spielman, Pierson-El, McQuitty

Ozigbo, Bryant, Bradley, Mazour(if he ever sees the field)

Jaimes, Farmer, Foster, Gates, Farniok, Raridon, Decker

Thomas, Davis, Davis, Neal, Jackson, Stoltenberg (kinda)

Roberts, Gifford, Alexander, Stille, Barry, Ferguson & Weber

Reed, Bootle, Williams, Dismuke, Domann, Anderson, Jackson, Lee, Jones, Kalu, Williams & Jackson

Drew Brown, Lightbourn, Ober

Give a good coaching staff that team and they'll beat most teams on our schedule this year. 

It's not a lack of talent. It's coaching.  We need a better system on both sides of the ball and we need a better mentality from both staff & players.

Bingo. Everybody wants more talent. Hell, even Bama has had holes that they needed to fill with transfers and Juco's.

• Plus1 1

I have said for a long time that Nebraska has enough talent on this team to dominate smaller programs and be competitive with the best programs.  The mentality of the team is not right.  Ultimately, that needs to be instilled in younger players from older players.  This is exactly what players from the 90s have been talking about for a long time.  Now, the problem is, the older players don't have that mentality either.....so.....it needs to be instilled in them from the staff.  And...they are failing at doing that.

I'm still haunted by a quote from one of our players last week, prior to the Wisconsin game.  Paraphrasing, they said, "Now is the time to step up our game because we are playing Wisconsin this week".

My reaction was....WTF????  You should have stepped up your game about June 1st preparing for this season and had a take no prisoners mentality in the first 5 games.  If you had, we wouldn't have been sitting here with two losses and barely beating teams like Arkansas State.

Lots of fans get tired of hearing people like Jason Peter talk about their whole attitude towards practice and games back in the 90s.  BUT....that's exactly what has been missing for a very long time.

• Plus1 6
9 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Anybody with eyes can see we lack talent.  

No, this is a total myth.  One of the more highly propagated myths.  The eye test doesn't give you much of an idea about talent.  What the eye test gives you is a view into how a player is coached.  

Watch UCF.  24/7 Talent composite around #60 in the nation and they look extremely talented, because they're well coached.  Meanwhile, the Huskers have around a #26 talent composite and they look like a bunch of disinterested couch potatoes because they're poorly coached and poorly motivated.

When you see a good team (meaning well-coached) they all look talented.  When you see a bad team, rarely do any of them look talented.

• Plus1 3