Lack of talent

5 hours ago, Saunders said:

How many times are we going to bring up this narrative?

We are getting more raw talent than anyone else in our division. We aren't developing and coaching it, and that's why we're losing.

The end.

Yep, Billy C and Bo had the same talent. Billy had a losing season and Bo won 9 games. Suh goes from average to all world. Seven years later, Bo wins 9 games and MR has a losing season with essentially the same players.

• Plus1 2

12 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Yep, Billy C and Bo had the same talent. Billy had a losing season and Bo won 9 games. Suh goes from average to all world. Seven years later, Bo wins 9 games and MR has a losing season with essentially the same players.

I used to think everyone had 20/20 hindsight.  But there are people who will still argue against obvious truths like you just posted because it doesn't fit their narrative.   It's fascinating.

15 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

No, this is a total myth.  One of the more highly propagated myths.  The eye test doesn't give you much of an idea about talent.  What the eye test gives you is a view into how a player is coached.  

Watch UCF.  24/7 Talent composite around #60 in the nation and they look extremely talented, because they're well coached.  Meanwhile, the Huskers have around a #26 talent composite and they look like a bunch of disinterested couch potatoes because they're poorly coached and poorly motivated.

When you see a good team (meaning well-coached) they all look talented.  When you see a bad team, rarely do any of them look talented.

Very true. Well coached teams EXECUTE.  Tom rarely had a top 10 recruiting class but when the team excecuted (which was most of the time) they looked like a machine and far more talented than the rating system suggested.  The coaching staff coached up the players (besides beefing them up in the weight room), they had a vision of what to do and confidence (and the swagger) to make it happen.  We do have talent, we aren't taking advantage of that talent wt good coaching during the week, game time adjustments, and player development.

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I don't want to be a good team.  I want to be a great team.  And there is not enough talent on the current roster for that

Agreed, we can always use more. But I would also argue that Wisconsin is a borderline great (not elite) team, and they don't recruit like we do. They have a system, and play and recruit to it.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Agreed, we can always use more. But I would also argue that Wisconsin is a borderline great (not elite) team, and they don't recruit like we do. They have a system, and play and recruit to it.

They most certainly do, talent is not always about having the most stars.  Talent is also about fitting the system.  Johnathan Taylor would not be nearly as effective in a spread type offense.  He wants to run win his shoulders parallel to the LOS.  Not laterally on some outside zone.   Wisconsin takes great athletes and turns them into other things.  There starting Rt Tackle was a QB in HS.  

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I don't want to be a good team.  I want to be a great team.  And there is not enough talent on the current roster for that

Wisconsin is currently ranked over 30 spots better  than their 24/7 Talent Composite ranking.  If the Huskers were playing good enough to rank 30 points better than their 24/7 Talent Composite ranking, they would be in the NFL because they would be ranked better than #1.  

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Yup. Even with a complete lack of continuity, they have a cultural identity, and embrace it.

Lack of continuity?  Other than Gary Andersen where is the lack?

Just now, Isle of View said:

Really?  Gary Anderson?  

Wisconsin wins because Alvarez stole the Nebraska blueprint.  

Gary Andersen did quite well while at Wisconsin.  

1 minute ago, Isle of View said:

Wisconsin is currently ranked over 30 spots better  than their 24/7 Talent Composite ranking.  If the Huskers were playing good enough to rank 30 points better than their 24/7 Talent Composite ranking, they would be in the NFL because they would be ranked better than #1.  

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite

It's been said the difference between recruiting 50th and 20th isn't as big of a difference as 19th to 1st is. 

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

Lack of continuity?  Other than Gary Andersen where is the lack?

I heard it on the ESPN podcast, so bear with me, but the stat was something like:  since like 2012, Wisconsin has had 3 coaches, 5 DC's, a boatload of assistant changes, and yet has finished ranked every year and averaged double digit wins.

• Plus1 1