Lack of talent

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

They sure have.  But I never denied that.

In order for Nebraska to be a great team, would you agree that they must first win the West, then win the B1G?  That really is my point.  Wisconsin hasn't gone to the next level, yet, and may never do so.  But struggling to make a bowl game, or considering whether Nebraska can maybe sneak into one with 5 wins based on APR is a far cry from great.

3 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Fair enough, who in your eyes is a great football team this year?

Probably the top 3 teams in the polls.  Maybe just the top 2.  They have sustained it over several years.

2 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

In order for Nebraska to be a great team, would you agree that they must first win the West, then win the B1G?  That really is my point.  Wisconsin hasn't gone to the next level, yet, and may never do so.  But struggling to make a bowl game, or considering whether Nebraska can maybe sneak into one with 5 wins based on APR is a far cry from great.

Yes.  The path to greatness definitely requires winning your division and then the conference.

5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Probably the top 3 teams in the polls.  Maybe just the top 2.  They have sustained it over several years.

Yes.  The path to greatness definitely requires winning your division and then the conference.

Well then, now we get to the real question, once a team is on the path (in this example, playing in 4 of 6 CCGs), how much further must they go to be considered great?  does making the playoff satisfy that?  What if they lose the semifinal?  Is it winning a semifinal even if the team loses the NC?  Does it require winning the NC?  Are they great if they win the NC but don't win their division the following year?  How much success and what kind makes a team great?

Does missing the playoff and winning one of the NY6 bowls count for anything?

Just now, Frustrated said:

Well then, now we get to the real question, once a team is on the path (in this example, playing in 4 of 6 CCGs), how much further must they go to be considered great?  does making the playoff satisfy that?  What if they lose the semifinal?  Is it winning a semifinal even if the team loses the NC?  Does it require winning the NC?  Are they great if they win the NC but don't win their division the following year?  How much success and what kind makes a team great?

Does missing the playoff and winning one of the NY6 bowls count for anything?

I think a team needs to win their division, conference, and probably be in the argument for a National Championship over the course of several years to be considered great, in my opinion.

Everyone is going to have their own standards.  But Wisconsin has never been mentioned for national titles.  No one has ever argued that they should have been in ahead of someone else.

A 70-80% win percentage isn't what it used to be so greatness has to be elevated as well.

Until Nebraska runs the same offense for more than 4 years, and the same defense for more than 4 years they will never be a great team.

Everyone keeps bringing up Wisconsin, but they have run the same system for years now on both sides of the ball, and yes they have switched coaches and assistants.  But guess what they still run the same thing because it works.  It is a run-heavy pro system on offense and a 3-4 on defense.  (not too far off of what Riley is trying to do.  yes, we have thrown a lot this year, but that is what happens when you get behind and are trying to play catch up.  That's life)

all of the "great" teams have one thing in common.  Some sort of consistency in the system on both sides of the ball, or if there was a change it was to only one side of the ball, and it wasn't a wholesale change.

And until fans have some patience with a coach (any coach) this is never going to happen again at Nebraska.

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

It's been said the difference between recruiting 50th and 20th isn't as big of a difference as 19th to 1st is. 

First, that type of thing shouldn't be surprising.  It's called a Bell Curve.

Second, No one is expecting us to be competing for the National Championship, at least not right now.  The teams at the top have a decided talent advantage.  The question should be how close are we to being a solid Top 25 team looking to move into the Top 10. 

We are currently 29th (693).  We are 160 behind #9 Clemson.  We are 276 ahead of #90 Northern Illinois.  So NIll overcame 170% the talent disadvantage we'd have to overcome to beat the defending National Champions.

• Plus1 2

let me guess....the pipe dream that we can actually or should be able to recruit better than USC, Alabama, OSU etc etc and the history of all our recruiting classes never being in the top ten have already been poo-pooed?

the Coach and culture issue, player development? i could go on but i'm sure there are 100 others who have

We need more talent/depth if we want to compete for a NC, even consistently with the best from the East division. 

We do have enough talent to be getting better results. I don't think anyone is even complaining we aren't a NC contender. But losing to NIU, escaping vs Ark State and Rutgers. Getting beat at home by 21 by Wisconsin in year 3 is way below the bar. Really all 3 seasons have been pretty tough to watch on the whole.

21 hours ago, Saunders said:

How many times are we going to bring up this narrative?

We are getting more raw talent than anyone else in our division. We aren't developing and coaching it, and that's why we're losing.

The end.

The teams coaches a has no identity.  Little bit of this, little that, etc.  And they ARE NOT physically dominant, haven't been since Oz walked out the door.

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

First, that type of thing shouldn't be surprising.  It's called a Bell Curve.

Second, No one is expecting us to be competing for the National Championship, at least not right now.  The teams at the top have a decided talent advantage.  The question should be how close are we to being a solid Top 25 team looking to move into the Top 10. 

We are currently 29th (693).  We are 160 behind #9 Clemson.  We are 276 ahead of #90 Northern Illinois.  So NIll overcame 170% the talent disadvantage we'd have to overcome to beat the defending National Champions.

Did you even read the post I was replying to? I'm gonna guess you didn't.