Where we are

Redux

Just now, Redux said:

Why setup your too target to fail in year 1.  That schedule is brutal.  I've heard more than once that Diaco is backup coach if Riley were suddenly fired.  If your top choice isn't ready, let the interim navigate the shark infested waters.

Frost will be getting offers after this season 100%. Gotta lock him up now 

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

You think he will stay at UCF 1 more year then come here if we offer him after the 2018 season? 

Absolutely.  Same goes for any other number of coaches we are considering.  Our 2018 schedule is brutal.  May sound crazy, but I would rather have Riley finish this recruiting class, reel in as many of the big fish he can and navigate as much of next season as he can.  Let him try to leave on a positive instead of canning him.  Then 2019 is more manageable and the next guy gets a stronger pool of talent to work with.

Of course that all goes out the window if Saturdays game is a massacre and the boosters get really impatient.

18 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Wisconsin won the B10 that year and went to the Rose Bowl. We also were 9-3 during the season. I'd say slightly different times 

It's just insane though how we've allowed to blow us out since entering the Big 10. 

I posted this in another thread: Going back to 2001, Iowa has never allowed Wisconsin to score more than 34 points. Get your head around that. Iowa, in 15 straight seasons, never allowed Wisconsin to score more than 34. 

We need a defensive coordinator that crafts a defense to stop the run. Period. That's it. All we have to do in order to take the next step is to create a defense that could stop Wisconsin & Iowa's power run offenses. I think Diaco is capable of this, but by the time this season is over I'll quite possibly believe otherwise.

• Plus1 4
5 minutes ago, Redux said:

Why setup your too target to fail in year 1.  That schedule is brutal.  I've heard more than once that Diaco is backup coach if Riley were suddenly fired.  If your top choice isn't ready, let the interim navigate the shark infested waters.

I've seen a lot of people suggest this. Letting Riley or Diaco coach in 2018 solely because the schedule is tough seems like a bad idea to me. I understand the reasoning and logic behind it, but it's just delaying the inevitable.

If there's a problem, fix it. Don't wait a year to fix it. We shouldn't just assume that a new head coach in 2018 means Nebraska will go 4-8. If the current coaches are as bad as some claim, then getting rid of them means Nebraska should be better by default.

• Plus1 4
Just now, Redux said:

Absolutely.  Same goes for any other number of coaches we are considering.  Our 2018 schedule is brutal.  May sound crazy, but I would rather have Riley finish this recruiting class, reel in as many of the big fish he can and navigate as muvh of next season as he can.  Let him try to leave on a positive instead of canning him.  Then 2019 is more manageable and the next guy gets a stronger pool of talent to work with.

A lot of wishful thinking. Sounds like we want the cake and eat it too. It would be a decent scenario in theory, but I cannot take another year of this football. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

It's just insane though how we've allowed to blow us out since entering the Big 10. 

I posted this in another thread: Going back to 2001, Iowa has never allowed Wisconsin to score more than 34 points. Get your head around that. Iowa, in 15 straight seasons, never allowed Wisconsin to score more than 34. 

We need a defensive coordinator that crafts a defense to stop the run. Period. That's it. All we have to do in order to take the next step is to create a defense that could stop Wisconsin & Iowa's power run offenses. I think Diaco is capable of this, but by the time this season is over I'll quite possibly believe otherwise.

Now that we are in the B10 this is the main priority we should look at I agree. Diaco has ran a prevent 3-4 for the past 7 years...don't hold your breath 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Hans Gruber said:

I've seen a lot of people suggest this. Letting Riley or Diaco coach in 2018 solely because the schedule is tough seems like a bad idea to me. I understand the reasoning and logic behind it, but it's just delaying the inevitable.

If there's a problem, fix it. Don't wait a year to fix it. We shouldn't just assume that a new head coach in 2018 means Nebraska will go 4-8. If the current coaches are as bad as some claim, then getting rid of them means Nebraska should be better by default.

And depending on what the higher ups and the boosters want, we very well may see the change after the season.  If a new coach is hired, they will ultimately get a fabricated 1st year pass anyways.

Just now, BIG ERN said:

A lot of wishful thinking. Sounds like we want the cake and eat it too. It would be a decent scenario in theory, but I cannot take another year of this football. 

Who doesn't want to eat their cake?  I can't stand this below average slop either, but little we can do about it.

10 minutes ago, Redux said:

Absolutely.  Same goes for any other number of coaches we are considering.  Our 2018 schedule is brutal.  May sound crazy, but I would rather have Riley finish this recruiting class, reel in as many of the big fish he can and navigate as much of next season as he can.  Let him try to leave on a positive instead of canning him.  Then 2019 is more manageable and the next guy gets a stronger pool of talent to work with.

Of course that all goes out the window if Saturdays game is a massacre and the boosters get really impatient.

That is a lot of ifs and wishful thinking.  

I personally am not sure that Frost even wants to come back and coach at Nebraska.  There is going to be multiple big time power job openings this year and if he wins 10 at UCF he will be a huge commodity on the market.  Right now I could see jobs open up at Ole Miss, Tenn, A&M, Baylor, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St, Nebraska, LSU just off the top of my head.  

Now all those jobs won't come open, but some will, of all of those jobs the one that is the hardest to recruit to isssssss Nebraska.  Now if he really wants to come back to Nebraska great, I would understand that, but I don't think it is a slam dunk that he does.  

5 hours ago, Redux said:

So I made a thread, or at least a post, like this in 2015.  I can't find it now unfortunately.  We sit 3-3 on the year, or .500 if you prefer, with Ohio State looming on the horizon before a mercy bye week.  My plans for Saturday night?  I picked up a bottle of Glenlevit Founders Reserve a month ago.  I am going to crack it open during kickoff and pour myself a nice glass over ice and take in what pretty likely could not only be our coaches final game donning Husker gear but final game period.  This is a team that smeared us by almost 60 points last year, I don't expect a W or even to be THAT conpetetive.  Hence the lonely scotch drinking game plan.

I bring this up because I saw something this morning I hadn't seen since 2 years before, it was after the Purdue loss in 2015 I believe.  In my small town of 2,200 there is a gentleman who has a sign out front every Fall.  It showcases his prediction for the game every week.  He ALWAYS predicts a Husker win, even when we are super dogs he predicts a 1 point dog fight win.  After the Purdue loss, the sign was gone.  He took it down mid season, that's how disgusted this super fan was.  Today, it was still there.  But today it read:

Nebraska 13

Ohio State 49

That's where we are.  Year 3 of a staffs tenure right back where we were in year 1.  I have a source who sends me some info time to time and he is really an optimistic guy that loves this staff.  I won't lie, I like Riley and what he is building.  Problem is you can't throw results to the side and build Nebraska up for years and years before the results start pouring in.  That goes double if you're as old as Riley.  That goes quadruple if you're coaching at Nebraska during an almost 20 year conference title drought.  Maybe he finishes the year and retires.  Maybe he is gone this Sunday.  Maybe we announce the AD and he gives Riley one more year.  I have no idea.  I only know that Saturday is going to be a milestone game for one reason or another.  My emotion for this season is basically gone, my fandom is in idle.  I'm at the point I was before I became a fanatic, I'm indifferent towards football Saturday.  Fans can only take so much disappointment after being spoiled.  I just want to see something I can be proud of again.

your small town gentleman seems to be an optimist.

9 minutes ago, NUinID said:

That is a lot of ifs and wishful thinking.  

I personally am not sure that Frost even wants to come back and coach at Nebraska.  There is going to be multiple big time power job openings this year and if he wins 10 at UCF he will be a huge commodity on the market.  Right now I could see jobs open up at Ole Miss, Tenn, A&M, Baylor, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St, Nebraska, LSU just off the top of my head.  

Now all those jobs won't come open, but some will, of all of those jobs the one that is the hardest to recruit to isssssss Nebraska.  Now if he really wants to come back to Nebraska great, I would understand that, but I don't think it is a slam dunk that he does.  

the conventional thinking is that Frost wants to come back, but only if the deep seated issues are solved and to his liking- some have, Eichorst fired, Perlman forced out- the big thing will be the AD- if Rimmington were to stay I'd say Frost would be looking at Lincoln real estate right now.

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, Football Guy Bob said:

This.  Rimington was not brought in to fire anyone, and Green/Bounds are not going to fire anyone.

You're right, Rimington was not brought in to fire anyone. He was brought in to hire the AD that will fire Riley and hire the new HC. And the new AD will likely have to agree to a predetermined short list of HC candidates. No way they risk a repeat of how it's gone the last 20 years.

Anybody who thinks the Eichorst dismissal was not about the performance of the football team is fooling themselves.

.500 or below and Riley is gone this year. 7-5 is a bit of a gray area, I would suppose it's how and to whom we get those next 2 defeats but I think they would have to be pretty stellar performances for Riley to survive at 7-5.

8-4 or 9-3 are such pipe dreams that I won't even address them seriously but I do believe it would take minimum 8 wins for Riley to be around another year and I'm betting 8 wins wouldn't even do it. So it may just depend on if they can find the right person now and/or on Frost's preference to wait another year.

They didn't can ADSE because of basketball.

59 minutes ago, Redux said:

I disagree with this. Looking at next year's schedule:

Akron - W

Colo - ?

Troy - W

Mich - L

Purdue - ?

Wisc - L

NW - ?

Minny - ?

OSU - L

Illinois - W

MichSt - ?

Iowa - ?

Frankly thats the scenario I see with Frost or Riley at the helm. I would prefer Frost be here implementing his scheme and mentality...plus a year of going after his recruits and going 6-6 then another year of Riley going 6-6. How would Riley even be able to recruit next year, people aren't dumb. Then Frost would have a step up for a more manageable 2019. 

• Plus1 2