Purdue - ?

Wisc - L

NW - ?

Minny - ?

OSU - L

Illinois - W

MichSt - ?

Iowa - ?

Frankly thats the scenario I see with Frost or Riley at the helm. I would prefer Frost be here implementing his scheme and mentality...plus a year of going after his recruits and going 6-6 then another year of Riley going 6-6. How would Riley even be able to recruit next year, people aren't dumb. Then Frost would have a step up for a more manageable 2019. 

That's if Frost is willing to leave UCF after this season 

31 minutes ago, Whistlepig said:

the conventional thinking is that Frost wants to come back, but only if the deep seated issues are solved and to his liking- some have, Eichorst fired, Perlman forced out- the big thing will be the AD- if Rimmington were to stay I'd say Frost would be looking at Lincoln real estate right now.

Where do you come up with some of this stuff?  

It doesn't matter who they get, if the new coach is afraid of next year's schedule, why would the University hire them?  It's not like we can run and hide from the teams in our conference.  He'll have to face them. 

We want to hire someone that isn't afraid of Colorado, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Michigan.  Jeez.  If they don't believe they can beat those teams, they shouldn't get an interview.  I bet only one on the list has a shot at playing in a conference title game.  A new coach had better get the players more afraid of what he thinks than of teams on the schedule.

52 minutes ago, NUinID said:

That is a lot of ifs and wishful thinking.  

I personally am not sure that Frost even wants to come back and coach at Nebraska.  There is going to be multiple big time power job openings this year and if he wins 10 at UCF he will be a huge commodity on the market.  Right now I could see jobs open up at Ole Miss, Tenn, A&M, Baylor, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St, Nebraska, LSU just off the top of my head.  

Now all those jobs won't come open, but some will, of all of those jobs the one that is the hardest to recruit to isssssss Nebraska.  Now if he really wants to come back to Nebraska great, I would understand that, but I don't think it is a slam dunk that he does.  

Nothing is a slam dunk, or Houston Nutt would have been our coach in 2004.  And it may sound like a lot of what ifs, but you have to believe that the future is being planned out constantly for what direction this program goes.  Talks are happening.

3 minutes ago, InOmaha said:

It doesn't matter who they get, if the new coach is afraid of next year's schedule, why would the University hire them?  It's not like we can run and hide from the teams in our conference.  He'll have to face them. 

We want to hire someone that isn't afraid of Colorado, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Michigan.  Jeez.  If they don't believe they can beat those teams, they shouldn't get an interview.  I bet only one on the list has a shot at playing in a conference title game.  A new coach had better get the players more afraid of what he thinks than of teams on the schedule.

Being afraid of playing teams was mentioned nowhere.

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

Being afraid of playing teams was mentioned nowhere.

It's implied when people talk about leaving current staff on board at the end of the season to absorb a difficult season rather than saddle a new coach with a losing season.  If the new coach comes in expecting a losing season, or the fans expect a losing season with him, given that schedule, we hired the wrong guy.  Because it's basically the schedule you get every year playing in this conference.

12 minutes ago, InOmaha said:

It's implied when people talk about leaving current staff on board at the end of the season to absorb a difficult season rather than saddle a new coach with a losing season.  If the new coach comes in expecting a losing season, or the fans expect a losing season with him, given that schedule, we hired the wrong guy.  Because it's basically the schedule you get every year playing in this conference.

Well, no that's not exactly right.  I see why you assume that though.  The 2018 conference slate is NOT a standard schedule, FYI.  Go look at it and tell me you feel good about any nee coach coming in and winning most of them.

44 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

I disagree with this. Looking at next year's schedule:

Akron - W

Colo - ?

Troy - W

Mich - L

Purdue - ?

Wisc - L

NW - ?

Minny - ?

OSU - L

Illinois - W

MichSt - ?

Iowa - ?

Frankly thats the scenario I see with Frost or Riley at the helm. I would prefer Frost be here implementing his scheme and mentality...plus a year of going after his recruits and going 6-6 then another year of Riley going 6-6. How would Riley even be able to recruit next year, people aren't dumb. Then Frost would have a step up for a more manageable 2019. 

The ? games are wins if Frost comes and losses if Riley stays.  And I'm not so sure Akron and Troy are wins if Riley stays.

• Plus1 3
35 minutes ago, Redux said:

Nothing is a slam dunk, or Houston Nutt would have been our coach in 2004.  And it may sound like a lot of what ifs, but you have to believe that the future is being planned out constantly for what direction this program goes.  Talks are happening.

Talks with who?  Talks between our Interim AD, the President, and Chancellor?  I am sure they are talking in very broad terms, but that is it.  I don't believe they are dividing up the world just yet.  You know MR just might keep his job.   

6 hours ago, Undone said:

It's unbelievable that we're on the verge of repeating the 2007 season, but here we are...

It's totally believable that we're on the verge of repeating the 2015 season, Riley is here.

1 hour ago, Redux said:

May sound crazy, but I would rather have Riley finish this recruiting class, reel in as many of the big fish he can

Do some people have permanent rose-colored glasses attached to their faces when it comes to Riley's recruiting, or what? He's had a couple bites from big fish, but that's really about all he's accomplished - at the end of the day, the catches in his boat are really no better than Bo's.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Talks with who?  Talks between our Interim AD, the President, and Chancellor?  I am sure they are talking in very broad terms, but that is it.  I don't believe they are dividing up the world just yet.  You know MR just might keep his job.   

If you think the decision makers are sitting idly by right now, I have some box season tickets to sell you.

I want a new coach that looks at next year's schedule and says, we should dump Akron or Troy and pick up Miami, Florida State, or OU so our strength of schedule is better at the end of the year.  Sure you'll lose one every once and a while like OSU does, but it seems to build character and pay off in the end.

How far we've fallen if we're debating if the team can get to 6-6 in a season when Akron, Colorado, Troy, Purdue, NW, Minnesota, Illinois, and Iowa are on the schedule?  Nebraska would pick up teams like these in our non-conference schedule back in the old days to pad the W column.

A new coach should only need to pull out one win against Michigan, Michigan St,  Wisconsin, or OSU to get to 9 wins next year and the first 3 teams should be toss ups given how they've played the last 3 years.

Just now, Toe said:

It's totally believable that we're on the verge of repeating the 2015 season, Riley is here.

Do some people have permanent rose-colored glasses attached to their faces when it comes to Riley's recruiting, or what? He's had a couple bites from big fish, but really about all he's accomplished - at the end of the day, the catches in his boat are really no better than Bo's.

No, and not true.  I'm  ot going to try to convince you otherwise though, not worth the effort.

4 minutes ago, Redux said:

No, and not true.  I'm  ot going to try to convince you otherwise though, not worth the effort.

What, are you still on the Tanner Lee hype wagon? Still holding out hope that Elijah Blades makes it to Lincoln? Are you convinced that a couple highly-rated WRs padding the rankings are all you really need to have a great recruiting class?

• Plus1 1