Where we are

Redux

1 minute ago, Toe said:

What, are you still on the Tanner Lee hype wagon? Still holding out hope that Elijah Blades makes it to Lincoln? Are you convinced that a couple highly-rated WRs padding the rankings are all you really need to have a great recruiting class?

Sarcastic-Okay-Gif-09.gif

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, Redux said:

If you think the decision makers are sitting idly by right now, I have some box season tickets to sell you.

Your just speculating.  Is Mike Riley coaching for his job, yes he is.  Do they have a plan to move forward if they fire him, yeah most likely.  But I doubt it is something super mapped out unless MR is going to be fired for sure.  Dave Rimmington is really not going to be part of this process. He is here to do exactly what he said he was doing.  He is here to "calm the waters". 

I mean I do think Ronnie and Gus do want to have a strong athletic program and football is the flagship so they want it to do well.  Harvey would have rather not had to think about it. 

5 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Your just speculating.  Is Mike Riley coaching for his job, yes he is.  Do they have a plan to move forward if they fire him, yeah most likely.  But I doubt it is something super mapped out unless MR is going to be fired for sure.  Dave Rimmington is really not going to be part of this process. He is here to do exactly what he said he was doing.  He is here to "calm the waters". 

I mean I do think Ronnie and Gus do want to have a strong athletic program and football is the flagship so they want it to do well.  Harvey would have rather not had to think about it. 

Yes, I am speculating.  But I am basing that speculation off of different things I have heard the past month.

If our leadership has made up their mind to change coaches but keeps him in place for another year anyway, then they are piss poor leaders and I hope they aren't around the University very long.

You don't make long-term decisions based on short term problems.  That is some lifetime middle management decision making right there.  Awful plan.

If you decide the person you have in the job will never be good enough, you remove them and hire someone who you believe will be.  If you hire the right person, that short term problem will take care of itself.

The B1G West isn't that tough of a division to win for a solid football coach at a program like Nebraska. That is real world realities. A bad coach will finish around 500% in the division. 

Northwestern's ceiling is always random years where they will win 9 games but most of the time they are in the 8 to 6 range. 

Wisconsin is always who they are and they are always betable. Last year they lost to Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. 

Purdue has a solid football coach and will become more competitive. 

Minnesota has a long ways to go before they can challenge at the top. 

IL is bad. 

Right now Nebraska is near the bottom of the division and that is due to who the head coach is. 

• Plus1 2

42 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

If our leadership has made up their mind to change coaches but keeps him in place for another year anyway, then they are piss poor leaders and I hope they aren't around the University very long.

You don't make long-term decisions based on short term problems.  That is some lifetime middle management decision making right there.  Awful plan.

If you decide the person you have in the job will never be good enough, you remove them and hire someone who you believe will be.  If you hire the right person, that short term problem will take care of itself.

Okay, say our top target is Gary Patterson or Scott Frost or Charlie Strong (lol).  Say we offer them the job for next season, all we have to do first is fire Riley.  They say they want the job, but want one more season to finish business at their current job.  They are your top choice, and you can have them in a year.  What do you do?  Fire Riley and look at a different option that wasn't  your top choice or even top 3 or 4?  Name Diaco or someone else as interim for a full season?  Give Riley one more year to reel in another recruiting class with the understanding he is going to retire after the 2018 season?  Or throw a crapload of money at them and hope they have a change of heart?

This is the situation.  Unfortunately for the 2017 season, the head coaching position in 2018 isn't going to ultimately be decided on this years W/L record alone.

37 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I don't think this is necessarily true. It's possible to know you don't have the right coach currently and then to wait until you can get the best fit. I'm not saying that is the case here but if there is nobody we want available this year then it could be better to wait. I'm just playing devil's advocate, I think the writing is on the wall for Riley since SE got canned. I hope to hell they already had a couple coaches in mind but I suppose if they don't locate Mr. Right after the new AD gets here then I could see them waiting without it being a failure of leadership. A worse failure would be bringing in the wrong person again.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, NUinID said:

Where do you come up with some of this stuff?  

not sure if serious and if you are, what specifically do you not think happened in the way I stated.

It's pretty obvious that Scott Frost would come back under the right circumstances, and its also pretty obvious Scott talks to people who thought Perlman was a weasel, and by extension Eichorst and made guys like Meyers, and even TO sick with their lying and sycophant breeding culture

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Redux said:

If he is fired after Saturday, our coach is probably Bob Diaco for a year and a half.  Someone has to be the PATSY for 2018's nasty schedule, nobody wants that person to be Scott Frost.  See Luke Fickell in 2011 before Urban Meyer.

This is one of the absolute dumbest things being thrown around on this board. The Luke Fickell situation is completely different he was taking over a program that was going through NCAA allegations. Having a lame duck coach for a full season? That's ludicrous, and would kill a full year of recruiting. Who cares what the schedule looks like, WIsconsin just last year had to play LSU, at Michigan and Ohio St. All they did was go out and make the Big 10 championship. 

• Plus1 2

All this speculation around having a patsy coach for 2018 due to an tough schedule is nuts.  No one will care if Frost comes in and has a not so good first year.  Heck, people will assume that is the way it will go first year of a new coach.  No one will hold that against him.  The key point is you have to get him now,  cause there ain't no second chances on this one.

• Plus1 2