What is the BIG RED identity....Land of 10

I really don't think the system matters much, I think the key is physicality.  Physically dominating your opponents (especially on the lines) is the key, period.  As mentioned by someone before, MSU runs a pro-style offense.  the key to their success is they are physically dominant and aggressive.   They don't run a "bend don't break" defense, or a "take what the defense gives us" offense. They punch you in the mouth on both sides of the ball, like we used to.  We haven't done that in a long time.  Even Bo's defenses were weak and soft (with the exception of the Suh years, which I credit mostly to Suh).  We have not been a physical football team in this century, its time to return to that.  

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

So you really don't think the staff knows what they are looking for in recruiting? This identity thing is blown way out of proportion imo. I think we have an identity, it's just not working out so well as far as on field results. Maybe we need to go out and get someone to give us a new identity or something but to say Riley is just here throwing players on a field with no vision or direction is a false narrative imo.

Riley has an idea of what he wants to do, however it is the implementation aspect that is missing.

And NEBRASKA has an identity, but it has been missing here since 2003.

No need to get to far into this, Riley is gone.  

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Inside zone and counters out of tight sets and deep PA shots on offense. Our identity might suck but wouldn't you say week to week what we are trying to do is basically the same? I think Riley knows what he wants to do and recruits to that. It hasn't been effective but I think he has a direction. 

I won't disagree that's what Riley WANTS our identity to be but I would argue we are far too inconsistent week to week to say that's what our identity IS.  

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, RedSavage said:

I won't disagree that's what Riley WANTS our identity to be but I would argue we are far too inconsistent week to week to say that's what our identity IS.  

And I don't disagree that we have been inconsistent in results. I think we have been consistent in the gameplan but that is really a moot point. We really just have different ideas of what identity really means. I do understand what you mean and I think you understand what I mean though. 

Our main problem is Langs absolutely will not run the ball on 2nd and 9. If first down was an incomplete pass we may run on second and long, but if first down was a stuffed run you can bet your ass 2 passes are coming. 

17 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Our main problem is Langs absolutely will not run the ball on 2nd and 9. If first down was an incomplete pass we may run on second and long, but if first down was a stuffed run you can bet your ass 2 passes are coming. 

Ha. I kind of got a chuckle out this. You didn’t even entertain the notion that we might possibly pick up the first down with the first pass play. Not saying you’re wrong to approach it that way, just struck me as funny....and accurate.

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

So you really don't think the staff knows what they are looking for in recruiting? This identity thing is blown way out of proportion imo. I think we have an identity, it's just not working out so well as far as on field results. Maybe we need to go out and get someone to give us a new identity or something but to say Riley is just here throwing players on a field with no vision or direction is a false narrative imo.

I think Riley is doing just that, throwing players on the field and hoping for some kind of positives.  This group of coaches do n't recruit Big 10 talent.  They are still recruiting Pac 12 talent to play in the B!G.  The talent they recruited to Oregon St in the last 6 years couldn't win either.  

How many original starters who are hurt now would even get another snap this season when healthy?  This speaks volumes.  Ozigbo is clearly the most consistent back and usually gains positive yards, but didn't play in the first two games.   You can defend Riley, but he can't even defend himself with some of his lack of coaching.

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

And I don't disagree that we have been inconsistent in results. I think we have been consistent in the gameplan but that is really a moot point. We really just have different ideas of what identity really means. I do understand what you mean and I think you understand what I mean though. 

Ok, as a fan what is our identity?  Ask 90,000 people in the crowd tommorrow night and see what they say our identity is right now?  I guessing that you will here"losers" more often than anything else.  

41 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I think Riley is doing just that, throwing players on the field and hoping for some kind of positives.  This group of coaches do n't recruit Big 10 talent.  They are still recruiting Pac 12 talent to play in the B!G.  The talent they recruited to Oregon St in the last 6 years couldn't win either.  

How many original starters who are hurt now would even get another snap this season when healthy?  This speaks volumes.  Ozigbo is clearly the most consistent back and usually gains positive yards, but didn't play in the first two games.   You can defend Riley, but he can't even defend himself with some of his lack of coaching.

You're wrong man. At our best we would look like a more explosive version of '15 Michigan State. Can Riley get the kids to perform to that level? Likely not. But to say he is just throwing s#!t at the wall to see what sticks is dead wrong from what I've seen.

1 hour ago, El Diaco said:

Ha. I kind of got a chuckle out this. You didn’t even entertain the notion that we might possibly pick up the first down with the first pass play. Not saying you’re wrong to approach it that way, just struck me as funny....and accurate.

Yep. More often than not we don't. I was encouraged by our ability to convert on 3rd down against Wisconsin, especially impressed with the way Spielman came through in alot of those situations. But too many times we get hamstrung after a 1 yard run on first because Langs won't run it again. sometimes we will hit a decent play on second down through the air to make it 3rd and short but then we go to the air again for some reason and miss or throw a pick. Langs will catch you off guard with some really nifty calls. A series of plays or a repeated look that we do something new on later in the game with success where you think, wow Langs if you did this more often you wouldn't be half bad. Then he proceeds to screw it all up. 

I don’t feel like we really have an identity. About the closest description I can come up with is offensively we’re trying to be exactly like the NFL, very bland predictable play calling that relies on exceptional athletes and perfect execution except we don’t have the very top athletes at every position that system requires and we don’t have perfect execution. It just doesn’t have a college team feel to it and that’s very bad IMO. Defensively we are a bend bend bend and break prevent style D. I’d much prefer descriptors like swarming, aggressive, blitzing, physical.....