Tre Bryant

11 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

They're talking about a medical redshirt - I think you have to apply for it or in some way get approval from the NCAA, but if you only played a few games they usually don't care. I think the cap is 4 games played, but I might be making that up.

I'm not sure the cap either, but 1.75 games would make me think he'd be eligible.

This also means they don't think he'll be able to play for the rest of the year.  Because if he could come back in 2 weeks with the potential put up 150-200 yards a game, there would be zero chance of the coaches entertaining the idea of a medical redshirt.

Edited by InOmaha

Don't even think about it...just do it.  The way this injury is being described (or actually NOT described at all) there must be something strange going on. He is not going to be effective. He won't be helping himself get to the league (if that is a goal) by playing at less than 100%.  Just get the medical redshirt, find the best Dr., get it fixed and start the rehab.

Seems obvious unless there is something I am missing. 

Edited by Husker N StL
grammar
  • Plus1 2

Medical Hardship Requirements

To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:

• The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
  • The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
  • The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.
  • Plus1 3

That's super helpful - I there might be some debate about whether it's truly incapacitating since he's already getting close to back, I don't know how picky they are about that. I'm not sure the NCAA will buy "knee issues" as a season-ending injury, but I'm sure they get more details than we do. If 'season-ending' just means he doesn't play again that year, barring a setback sounds like it's up to him and the coaches. It would really suck if they denied it because it shouldn't have stopped him from coming back though.

Edited by Husker in WI

Sure seems like it's heading that way.

Unfortunately I fear it's just delaying the inevitable.  Riley said he's had knee issues since he got here and basically his knee is shot.  They were already resting him in fall camp to try to help but obviously it didn't. 

Not sure he can be expected to be able to carry much of the load going forward if his knee is already this bad.

6 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Bad coaching.  If you were resting him in the offseason already, then why give the guys so many carrys with the back ups we have at RB?  This might have been avoidable.  Not sure how many carrys he had on the season, but guessing that we could have limited some of them.

Obviously I'm unaware of the details of the injury but this is what confused me. His knee is in bad enough shape he's missing practice....so we run him 31 times against ArkySt. Then he was on pace for 25-30 vs Oregon.... was at 20 when for hurt.

7 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Bad coaching.  If you were resting him in the offseason already, then why give the guys so many carrys with the back ups we have at RB?  This might have been avoidable.  Not sure how many carrys he had on the season, but guessing that we could have limited some of them.

Said the same thing in another thread.  Appears he has acute tendonitis of his knee (think I read that somewhere).  He was limited in spring and fall and then ran a lot the first game.  Unsure if he truly separated himself from the pack at RB.  Regardless, knowing he had this issue, why would the staff think it would not be a factor in the season.  Odd.  Wish him the best.  Hopefully it will heal up and he can get the issues fixed up.  Health is more important than football...

10 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

IIRC this is something that has affected Bryant all the way back to HS.  Riley and the other coaches were aware of it.  Sometimes you just need to roll the dice on a guy and hope it works out.  The juice was worth the squeeze in this case.  Definitely bummed for Bryant.  Hopefully this doesn't affect any long term quality of life issues.

Edited by Xmas32