Mobile QB - Requirement in CFB?

27 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

This^   Accuracy and decision-making trump athleticism for me.  Ideally we would have both, but the chances of getting a DeShaun Watson, J.T. Barrett or Baker Mayfield to come to Nebraska is low.  There are many factors affecting our current offense woes, but lets not throw out the baby (accurate QBs) with the bathwater (pro-style offense).

Baker Mayfield, Johnny Manziel, Tayor Martinez, Trace McSorley, and Marcus Mariota were all 3* recruits. I've said many times it is much easier to get a good DT QB than a pocket QB. 

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

Ahhh...just 5 months ago everyone was creaming their underoos about finally having that NFL type statue QB...

Now...once again...it has changed.

Not me, I'm still a firm believer in getting the absolute BEST passing QB you can get.   If he has some mobility, added bonus.   First and foremost for me, regardless of who the QB is or the system you run, you get 5 OL beasts ever year and 4 nasty dirty DL players every year.   Win the trenches win the game.   Doesn't matter your system or the level, if you can control the line of scrimmage, the rest of the game is easy.

4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

If Lee continues doing what he has been doing I'm more than fine with him as our QB. If he reverts to pre Illinois Tanner, Tulane can have him back 

This isn't directed only at you because I've seen this sentiment several places.  

I think people are confusing "better than the abysmal performance to start the year" with "playing well lately."

Over everyone's last three games, we are #60 in completion percentage, #38 in QB rating and #32 in yards per attempt.  Those aren't bad numbers but they are more 'average' than 'good'.  Cutting back on the interceptions has been a big improvement but, like I said, it's more moved him from 'terrible' to average'.  

Those kind of numbers would have beaten Northern Illinois.  They probably aren't getting us over the hump in the West let alone competing with Ohio State (obviously).

Incidentally, Central Florida is right at the top of the list in all those categories.  With a low-three-star QB whose only offers were UCF, Hawai'i and Air Force.  And a kid from Wahoo.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, jessica0 said:

What this year has tought people is that having an NFL arm that isn't Peyton Manning level doesn't do you much good if you don't have elite skill talent that you find at the likes of USCw, Florida State, and the like. 

At Nebraska we have learned that a running QB is a better recipe for success. 

Name me a pro style statue QB at Nebraska that has one 10 games in a season. Now name me mobile QB''s that have won 10 games at Nebraska. 

/thread. 

5 hours ago, jessica0 said:

What this year has tought people is that having an NFL arm that isn't Peyton Manning level doesn't do you much good if you don't have elite skill talent that you find at the likes of USCw, Florida State, and the like. 

At Nebraska we have learned that a running QB is a better recipe for success. 

Name me a pro style statue QB at Nebraska that has one 10 games in a season. Now name me mobile QB''s that have won 10 games at Nebraska. 

/thread. 

First off, it's 'won' not 'one'.

Your post is completely disingenuous as Nebraska has rarely had a traditional pocket passer @ QB.  That being said...Vince Ferragamo and Brook Berringer both pop to mind.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Baker Mayfield, Johnny Manziel, Tayor Martinez, Trace McSorley, and Marcus Mariota were all 3* recruits. I've said many times it is much easier to get a good DT QB than a pocket QB. 

If memory serves, Taylor Martinez was not recruited as a quarterback by any major Power 5 schools. I seem to recall UCLA recruiting him as an "athlete." I could be missing your point but I probably wouldn't put Martinez on the same level as Mayfield, Manziel, & Mariota.

The zone read offense is kind of a feast or famine scheme when your dual threat quarterback isn't exactly much of a *threat* when throwing the ball. I remember so many times with Martinez & Armstrong where on first down, when the run option was called, our line would not hold up and then we're at 2nd & 12. Then it's 3rd & long, and your QB just doesn't have the tools to be the guy to sit in the pocket in the shotgun and be expected to throw well. That does not describe Mayfield, Manziel, & Mariota.

But it's possible that the final product for us has a better chance at being its best when we're going with the run/pass option scheme. I mean, just look at how much better our offense was statistically when Riley & Langsdorf were coaching Bo's offensive players in the zone read versus what we have now. Obviously there's a marked difference.

At this point, I'd take a guy who rolls out of the pocket and throws the ball away.  If he took the 5 easy yards here and there that would be great.  Given our O-line difficulties, I find it odd there are so few roll outs.  The QB doesn't need the threat of taking one to the house on every play, but maybe a little mobility and the threat of extending drives with their feet.  Lee might as well be running on most downs given how many times he gets hit in a game back while he's in the pocket.

Maybe they don't because Lee has a tendency to throw off his back foot.

Edited by InOmaha

25 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

If you don't have good line play no offense will work at any level of football.

Interesting point from Sean Callahan today on this subject.  He noted that finding quality tackles for a pro style system is very hard.  He noted that Osborne had a lot of success by running a system that played to his linemen's strengths.  Noted that even some of the best Pipeline tackles - mentioned Wiegert specifically - played guard in the NFL.

• Plus1 2
Just now, Mavric said:

Interesting point from Sean Callahan today on this subject.  He noted that finding quality tackles for a pro style system is very hard.  He noted that Osborne had a lot of success by running a system that played to his linemen's strengths.  Noted that even some of the best Pipeline tackles - mentioned Wiegert specifically - played guard in the NFL.

One of the things that NFL media guys point out is that the college offenses are making it harder for NFL coaches to find and develop offensive linemen.  There just aren't enough quality linemen to play in the NFL.  If NFL coaches are having issues finding these guys, how do we expect college coaches to do it?

• Plus1 1