Mobile QB - Requirement in CFB?

It's becoming more and more apparent (to me, at least) that teams want a QB that can (and want to) escape the pressure and steal 10-15 yards on a broken play is essential in today's football; especially CFB, but it's looking that way in the NFL as well.

I see two reasons for this in CFB specifically,

1. The offensive lines just aren't reliable enough to protect the QB on a consistent enough basis, game-in and game-out. This is probably due to not having enough time to 'gel' together on , both, a micro & macro level. They do not have as much time practice-time/off-season time as they do in the NFL; and they certainly do not have the years of work to put in together (especially at a starting level).

2. The defenses simply cannot effectively contain every receiver AND be on the lookout for the scramble on the consistent basis, UNLESS the d-line is consistently causing major disruption; in which case, no offensive scheme will work . The defense may be able to contain both on 3 out of 4 attempts, at best; but their seems to be a busted coverage or a loss of containment on the QB on at least 25% of plays.

Currently watching the Red-River Rivalry, and Ehlinger and Mayfield are both killing the opposing Defenses late in the game with their ability to run; which is another bonus to a mobile QB... It further wears a Defense down, and makes it easier to put up a score late, or run the clock out if you have a lead.

Just my opinion on the most important position; what are your guy's thoughts?

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, FTW said:

A stout offensive and defensive line is a requirement.

Agreed. Nebraska should quit with the notion that we must have an offense that send skill players to the pros. FOCUS ON THE TRENCHES.

The Cornhuskers should focus on being one of the top programs in the country when it comes to training and developing the players in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Having a mobile-QB is a close second. Make the defense have to defend All-11 players. Give the offense a chance with option plays to make it 11 vs 10.

Edited by The Duke

3 minutes ago, jcsmhammel said:

I've been saying this forever. Outside of Alabama and USC maybe Stanford or Michigan. Who runs a pro style offense that is good year in year out. Alabama and USC put lineman in the NFL every year. If you don't have the line a pro style does not work in college period. 

Bama has gone to a dual threat QB and they can pretty much whatever they want to. 

11 hours ago, jcsmhammel said:

You are right but it's still a pro style offense

Actually Bama runs quite a bit of spread/zone read. Jalen Hurts was just shy of 1,000 yards rushing last season. He's almost at 600 yards this season. 

The rest of college football gets it. A complete QB is one that can throw AND run. We will never win anything of significance with a slow QB and an old school, pro style offense

Of course there is a difference between a mobile QB and an offense where they have numerous designed plays to use the QB as a runner. A mobile QB makes it easier to win without dominant O line.  

6 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

We can have a mobile QB....doesn't mean he should run on every play. I'm tired of having injured half-speed quarterbacks.

Exactly 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

We can have a mobile QB....doesn't mean he should run on every play. I'm tired of having injured half-speed quarterbacks.

I agree.  You want your running backs to be your best runners.  Your qb should be a better passer than runner.  He needs to be just a good enough runner that the threat of him breaking it for 10 - 15 yards exists, but you don't want that to be your primary use of him.  As Don Brown (Michigan's DC who blitzes about 50% of the time) says, you don't want to blitz every down, but you want the threat of the blitz to exist in the QB's head every down.  Same way with the qb, you want the threat that he can run to exist 100% of the time.

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

I agree.  You want your running backs to be your best runners.  Your qb should be a better passer than runner.  He needs to be just a good enough runner that the threat of him breaking it for 10 - 15 yards exists, but you don't want that to be your primary use of him.  As Don Brown (Michigan's DC who blitzes about 50% of the time) says, you don't want to blitz every down, but you want the threat of the blitz to exist in the QB's head every down.  Same way with the qb, you want the threat that he can run to exist 100% of the time.

Of course you don't want your QB to be the the only reliable running threat. Ideally your RBs are really good too. It still helps big time if you have a Jalen Hurts, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, JT Barrett/Cardale Jones, Cam Newton. etc.

Why would you want A QB who is "just a good enough runner" if you can have a dynamic passer AND runner?

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, bhunt7 said:

Of course you don't want your QB to be the the only reliable running threat. Ideally your RBs are really good too. It still helps big time if you have a Jalen Hurts, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, JT Barrett/Cardale Jones, Cam Newton. etc.

Why would you want A QB who is "just a good enough runner" if you can have a dynamic passer AND runner?

Most teams are now running dual threat qb systems so getting the next one of those guys is difficult.  So, if you can't land any of the elite dual threat qbs, you have to make some sacrifices.  I say err on the side of not as dynamic of a runner.  We have seen here what happens when you err on the side of a more dynamic runner and try to make them a passer.

And I'll just leave this here:

Cam Newton (MNC year)  - 2,854 yds., 66.1%

JT Barrett (MNC year) - 2,834 yds., 64.6%

Cardale Jones (MNC year) - 860 yds., 60.9%

Marcus Mariota (final year) - 4,454 yds., 68.3%

Deshaun Watson (MNC year) - 4,593 yds., 67%

Jalen Hurts (last year) - 2,780 yds., 62.8%

Anything jump out at you?

16 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

And I'll just leave this here:

Cam Newton (MNC year)  - 2,854 yds., 66.1%

JT Barrett (MNC year) - 2,834 yds., 64.6%

Cardale Jones (MNC year) - 860 yds., 60.9%

Marcus Mariota (final year) - 4,454 yds., 68.3%

Deshaun Watson (MNC year) - 4,593 yds., 67%

Jalen Hurts (last year) - 2,780 yds., 62.8%

Anything jump out at you?

Yes, what jumps out at me as that none of those players came to Nebraska to play.  Here's a list for you:

Zac Lee

Cody Green

Johnny Stanton

Taylor Martinez

Tommy Armstrong

AJ Bush

Zack Darlington

Brion Carnes

Anything jump out to you?

Edited by Kernal
1 minute ago, Kernal said:

Yes, what jumps out at me as that none of those players came to Nebraska to play.  Here's a list for you:

Zac Lee

Cody Green

Johnny Stanton

Taylor Martinez

Tommy Armstrong

AJ Bush

Zack Darlington

Brion Carnes

Anything jump out to you?

Exactly my point.  Thanks.