Mobile QB - Requirement in CFB?

4 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

No, read the part you didn't quote in my original post.

Ah right.  Yes, I agree. 

People arguing we need a mobile quarterback seem to think we haven't and don't try to recruit them.  But as you said, we end up with a runner and not a quarterback.  Now we have quarterbacks who are less mobile, and the mob is crying again for a mobile quarterback- forgetting what kind of "mobile quarterbacks" we get at Nebraska.

What this year has tought people is that having an NFL arm that isn't Peyton Manning level doesn't do you much good if you don't have elite skill talent that you find at the likes of USCw, Florida State, and the like. 

At Nebraska we have learned that a running QB is a better recipe for success. 

Name me a pro style statue QB at Nebraska that has one 10 games in a season. Now name me mobile QB''s that have won 10 games at Nebraska. 

/thread. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ahhh...just 5 months ago everyone was creaming their underoos about finally having that NFL type statue QB...

Now...once again...it has changed.

If Lee continues doing what he has been doing I'm more than fine with him as our QB. If he reverts to pre Illinois Tanner, Tulane can have him back 

On 10/15/2017 at 11:44 AM, Hayseed said:

We can have a mobile QB....doesn't mean he should run on every play. I'm tired of having injured half-speed quarterbacks.

I agree.  It does put pressure on the D to cover more of the field if the QB can pull it down on occasion and pick up some chunk yardage.   Even if it's 3-5 plays a game with a slide or run out of bounds at the end of each.

1 hour ago, jessica0 said:

What this year has tought people is that having an NFL arm that isn't Peyton Manning level doesn't do you much good if you don't have elite skill talent that you find at the likes of USCw, Florida State, and the like. 

At Nebraska we have learned that a running QB is a better recipe for success. 

Name me a pro style statue QB at Nebraska that has one 10 games in a season. Now name me mobile QB''s that have won 10 games at Nebraska. 

/thread. 

I still very much don't believe that this is true. Correlation isn't causation. We've seen some correlation here with this but it doesn't mean that "it doesn't work at Nebraska."

Imagine a scenario where:

A) Our offensive line is Wisconsin's offensive line.

-and-

B) Tre Bryant has zero knee issues and is 100% healthy.

Completely different offensive outlook this season. Completely different. Tre is rumbling for over 125 yards every single game and Lee has time to throw the ball.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

POB and Gebbia are mobile enough. Would rather have those guys and their great arms and serviceable legs over the vice versa. Obviously everyone would prefer great arm and great legs but that isn't terribly common, maybe 3 guys each class have it all. 

POB actually surprised me BIG TIME, with his mobility during the little time he saw in the OSU game...

he looked like a Tin-Man-QB during the spring game and seemed a little overweight... last Sat. he looked in WAAAAY better shape and was a lot more mobile than the Spring game; and a lot more mobile than Lee seems to be.

I've had two people compare Gebbia to Johnny Football already; I can see how one can see the similarities, but it's WAY too big of a comparison to be fairly made at this point... glad to see that a familiarity exist between the two, though; as Manziel is, undoubtedly, one of the greatest CFB QB's of all-time.

3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

POB and Gebbia are mobile enough. Would rather have those guys and their great arms and serviceable legs over the vice versa. Obviously everyone would prefer great arm and great legs but that isn't terribly common, maybe 3 guys each class have it all. 

This^   Accuracy and decision-making trump athleticism for me.  Ideally we would have both, but the chances of getting a DeShaun Watson, J.T. Barrett or Baker Mayfield to come to Nebraska is low.  There are many factors affecting our current offense woes, but lets not throw out the baby (accurate QBs) with the bathwater (pro-style offense).

• Plus1 1