The debate is over... right?

Branno

7 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I've seen a number of posts saying that Riley will be fired this week. Does that really help us in any way? Unless the replacement coach isn't currently coaching, I don't think firing Riley before the end of the season does much for us.

In theory it lets you get things done early, but that can be done behind the scenes just as easily. It's a nothing decision, IMO, but that's probably because I feel the ultimate decision has been made and we're just debating the timing.

47 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

We had a favorable schedule? I seem to recall folks saying this year would be difficult due to the schedule. And I'm not sure how playing Oregon, Wisconsin, Ohio St and Penn St in the same year is favorable.

Check out next year....no year is favorable for this staff.
We beat Oregon last year, lost to Wisconsin in overtime, Penn State has been beatable for a while....yeah, I thought having a great passing QB and a crack DC might give us a great year. Wrong.

It wasn’t the score. Goodness, most people who follow football expected this to be lopsided. But it was how it unfolded that had people looking for car keys at halftime.

The gap in talent and depth is understood. But the Huskers didn’t come out with fight or passion or execution or seemingly any intention of trying to win this game.

The defense lines up differently than at the end of last season, but the results are the same. Poor tackling. Poor position. What was Bob Diaco brought in for? To change the defense? Or the narrative?

OWH

This is the worst part.  Losing is understandable (to some extent).  But I could tell in the Tunnel Walk that we barely even wanted to be there.  Maybe that's always the way it is now.

Either the players have given up on these coaches or we have such an awe-shucks attitude that we don't even get excited to play.

Not good in either case.

• Plus1 1

Nebraska coach Mike Riley, captain of this pigskin Titanic, looked cold as he passively watched his program sink, perhaps for good, during Ohio State’s 56-14 destruction of the Huskers. OSU led 35-0 at halftime, cleared half of Memorial Stadium in the process, and didn’t let up, throwing the ball on its final drive, ahead by six touchdowns. It was the second-worst home conference loss in school history.

“We really just had a hard time, obviously, keeping up with what they were doing,” Riley said afterward. His postgame mood matched his in-game persona. Solemn. Reserved. No anger.

But whatever guts were left in Riley’s three-year tenure may have been ripped out by OSU quarterback J.T. Barrett, the dozen Buckeye skill players who touched the ball, and the imposition of Ohio State’s collective will on both sides of the line of scrimmage. The scene evoked memories of the 2007 Oklahoma State game, when the Cowboys led big at half and sent dejected Husker fans for the exits.

OWH

In regards to the previous post, Riley sure does himself no favors in trying to dissuade those who might think the latter option is most at fault.

• Plus1 2

29 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Either the players have given up on these coaches or we have such an awe-shucks attitude that we don't even get excited to play.

You notice there wasn't nothing unique about this game. No new formation, onsides kick, fake punt, trick play....

Nothing that suggested this was a big game against a top opponent, and here's what we wanna do to gain an edge. You would have thought it was Rutgers. No excitement, no joy, no surprise that we played like that. Just another day.

• Plus1 2
On 10/15/2017 at 0:21 AM, gobiggergoredder said:

Doesn't he have to finish the season?  Who in the hell would be interim?

Langs....$h7t no.

Smiling Bob....he's a hot mess too

Barney Cotton available? Haha!

DR Pepper Guy should do.   He has the "football intelligence" to do so.  Well, at least some passion on the side lines.

image.thumb.png.18837dd5f44da56e2386db36f1d02f94.png

• Plus1 3

On 10/15/2017 at 2:26 AM, Blackshirt316 said:

I can legitimately give one scenerio to keep Riley.

Instead of maybe only spending 3-4 million on a new coach while also paying Pelini and Riley, Doing a full reboot again, they do this.

For 2018 Riley stays

Cavanaugh and Langsdorf are fired

They bring in a top tier OLine Coach and Pay up for an ELITE Offensive Coordinator on a 1 year deal. An OC who runs a more power run focused version of the WCO.

You hire that elite OC with the understanding that if things go well they will be given the head job within 5 years.  

This gives Diaco a full year to let us see if his D will work, you give yourself a shot at an elite OC with a senior QB without a system change and if you strike gold GREAT. You have solidified your future on Offense and Defense and don't go full panic mode.

If it fails then you fire Riley and reboot with more money (say $5-7M) to put towards a new coach (Pelini, Riley and Eichorsts contracts are 1 more year off the books) and an easier schedule in 2019 for that first year transition.

Basically I'd rather risk 2018 being a complete throwaway year in hopes of getting lucky than to trust our Adminiatration not to just make another on the cheap midlevel hire simply because we're paying Millions of dollars for a bunch of people not to work at Nebraska anymore.

It sounds insane after watching what happened tonight, but honestly I Still would trust Riley's ability to hire an elite OC and OL Coach for next year more than I trust our Admin's abilty to hire a new Head Coach that is what we want them to be.  As long as those coaches have no affiliation with Oregon State.

Uncle Sam Drugs.jpg

• Plus1 1