Ohio State Game....What Did We Learn?

Hayseed

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:54 AM, StPaulHusker said:

I learned hiring Bob Diaco was a grave mistake.  And it may cost Riley his job.

meh. Diaco sure hasn't improved any results on the D side but keeping Banker wouldn't have done Riley any good either. The coordinator that cost him his job is Langsdorf. And he's got nobody to blame but himself because this seems to be exactly the type of offense Riley wants.

We're 5-8 in our last 13 games. In 6 of those losses (and 1 win) we've scored 17 or fewer. In 7 of those losses (and 2 wins) we've scored 24 or fewer. Oregon this year is the only game we've lost where we scored a seemingly sufficient amount of points. Yeah the defense has been bad but the thing costing him his job is the inability to compete with any team with a heartbeat (and often struggling with those that don't) and an offense that struggles when faced with any defense at all.

Edited by El Diaco
  • Plus1 4

More "learning" post TOSU smack down.

NE D:

-99th total D

-96th passing D

-88th rushing D

-107th 3rd down D

-113th sacks

-also really bad @ takeaways

Bob Cosgrove`s...er Fiasco`s "thing" he puts on the field that he calls a "defense" is the absolute worst than I have ever seen @ NE or maybe even in CFB in general over 50+ yrs of watching the game.

Well, these "coaches"-i.e., large paycheck extorters-are all gone at seasons end, so theres a light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by Big Red Commie

Speaking respectfully as an Ohio State Fan.

From the outside it really appears that you need to change the entire coaching staff. Nebraska is a proud program like OSU and you should expect a high level of performance on the field. You don't need a head coach that chews gum and smiles while his team is getting beaten badly.

Don't accept excuses like "he needs 3 years to build his program" or "once he gets his guys we'll win". Winning is a mindset, regardless of the talent. It's up to the coaches to maximize the talent that they have on hand. 

Examples from OSU: Jim Tressel took over a team that was 2-9-1 against Michigan. He went 9-1 against them after that and appeared in 3 NC games. Urban Meyer inherited a 6-7 OSU team with no eligibility for a bowl game, but he won 12-0 in his first year without "his players".

Get a great head coach and you'll see a turnaround in no time. As another example, look at what Chris Petersen has done at Washington.

If I were the Nebraska AD, I would be looking for young, hungry coaches that are succeeding at a lower level.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, OSU1993 said:

From the outside it really appears that you need to change the entire coaching staff. Nebraska is a proud program like OSU and you should expect a high level of performance on the field. You don't need a head coach that chews gum and smiles while his team is getting beaten badly.

Don't accept excuses like "he needs 3 years to build his program" or "once he gets his guys we'll win". Winning is a mindset, regardless of the talent. It's up to the coaches to maximize the talent that they have on hand. 

Examples from OSU: Jim Tressel took over a team that was 2-9-1 against Michigan. He went 9-1 against them after that and appeared in 3 NC games. Urban Meyer inherited a 6-7 OSU team with no eligibility for a bowl game, but he won 12-0 in his first year without "his players".

Get a great head coach and you'll see a turnaround in no time. As another example, look at what Chris Petersen has done at Washington.

If I were the Nebraska AD, I would be looking for young, hungry coaches that are succeeding at a lower level.

The bolded is being a little melodramatic now isn't it?  You go on to claim all the great things Jim Tressel did only to say Urban Meyer inherited a 6-7 team.  Jim Tressel could recruit right?  There was just one season between his last and Meyer's first right?  Tons and tons of talent brought in by Tressel was on Urban Meyer's first Ohio State team.  The 6-7 OSU team in question was also without five players for the first five games of the season.  Four of those five players found their way into the NFL.  One withdrew from OSU which set the stage for true freshman Braxton Miller at QB. 

No offense, but you make it sound like Urban Meyer inherited a mess.  Urban Meyer inherited a gold mine.   

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, Big Red Commie said:

I watched the whole game w a sorta neutral fascination at our inability to stop them even once-the probability of that happening is next to zero.

Plus I bet my cat that we wouldnt, and we didnt, so I won.

You put up your cat in a bet or you made a bet with your cat?  Either way, what did you win?

Edited by 4skers89
17 hours ago, OSU1993 said:

15 hours ago, junior4949 said:

The bolded is being a little melodramatic now isn't it?  You go on to claim all the great things Jim Tressel did only to say Urban Meyer inherited a 6-7 team.  Jim Tressel could recruit right?  There was just one season between his last and Meyer's first right?  Tons and tons of talent brought in by Tressel was on Urban Meyer's first Ohio State team.  The 6-7 OSU team in question was also without five players for the first five games of the season.  Four of those five players found their way into the NFL.  One withdrew from OSU which set the stage for true freshman Braxton Miller at QB. 

No offense, but you make it sound like Urban Meyer inherited a mess.  Urban Meyer inherited a gold mine.   

I agree with junior4949 and everything OSU1993 said except for the Urban Meyer situation (he's still a great coach).

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Nebraska is getting outscored 80-38 in the first quarter.  We're getting outscored in the second quarter 67-48.  So 147-86 before halftime.

I'd attribute this, in this order, to:

1. Lack of drive by the players to step onto the field from the first minute and curb stomp the other team.

2. Completely predictable and not-creative-enough play calling from Langsdorf.

• Plus1 1