Ohio State Game....What Did We Learn?

Hayseed

Nothing new.

On one sideline you have a coach that wants to win and instills a winning mentality and killer instincts into his players. On the other side of the field you have a coach who doesn't seem to care.

It's bigger than just talent. Yes OSU is the better and bigger team and yes Urban has created a power house, but that still doesn't make Ohio State 42 points better than Nebraska in Memorial Stadium. The Huskers have been outscored 118-17 the last two years to Ohio State... that's not acceptable.

I “learned”(ok I knew this and said it last year as well, but bears repeating) that the only chance a player has in this program to show what they can do or build a semblance of depth is injury to a starter.  Another blowout and the starters are still in the game.  

After the same thing last year against OSU Riley said he wanted starters to get more reps working together.  Never mind this wasn’t the first, second or third game of the year but mid October after fall camp as well.  Same crap.

Depth is built by playing guys in games like this.  Also by holding guys accountable who are sucking ass and getting the next guy in, but that is another rant.

• Plus1 2

i learned that there's been no difference in a year (it didn't take this long to realize that, just the nail in the coffin.) This year's OSU game and last year's were both unbearably awful with a team that looked like they had no idea what they were doing.

At least last year we were on the road during a night game at Ohio Stadium and had a backup QB. This year looked identical.

As a fan I want them to win every single game. Obviously. I want them to be Bama. But I will settle for just not getting absolutely destroyed in games to the highest degree. Wisconsin is a good team. But why can NW hold their back to 89 yards and we let up 300? Why can't we even make these games respectable? We get absolutely MASSACRED in this games every single time it feels like and thats whats so frustrating. If they beat us they beat us. But for the love of God, please don't make me watch 70 point blowouts, single game rushing records, 66-3, 42 points in a half, QB's with 7 touchdowns through three quarters, 40 first downs, etc. How is that so hard to just be decent at least

1 hour ago, Saunders said:

That I would put money on the 2007 team to beat this team.

This was a 42 point loss. The worst loss in 2007 was by 'only' 35 points.

But hey, last year we lost to Ohio State by 59 points, so things are obviously looking up! Like Riley said, in just a couple more years he should be totally competitive!

Edited by Toe
  • Plus1 1

I was at this game. And what I learned is that the fans, coaches, players, and just about everyone were ready for disappointment from the very beginning. I kept hearing fans say, "I just hope we aren't embarrassed," or "If we could just make it competitive, I'll be happy," and I got to thinking... this is how broken our program is. There is something wrong with everyone going in with a defeatist attitude. We had good seats for this, and all around us were bleachers. THERE IS A PROBLEM WHEN A FAN BASE THAT IS AS DEDICATED AS HUSKER FANS HAS TONS OF EMPTY SEATS FROM KICKOFF. And by the end of the 3rd, we were like an island in a city of metal seats.

Fans shouldn't feel like they have to release the balloons when we get our second 1st down. We stayed through the 3rd quarter, and my spirit was so worn down that I just couldn't stay. I'm hoarse, I yelled and cheered as long as I could and I love Husker football so much. But this isn't Husker football.

It's not that I think Riley is a bad person, he's a very likeable guy, but he is not right for this program. Period.

Edited by ebohnart
  • Plus1 7
15 minutes ago, Toe said:

This was a 42 point loss. The worst loss in 2007 was by 'only' 35 points.

But hey, last year we lost to Ohio State by 59 points, so things are obviously looking up! Like Riley said, in just a couple more years he should be totally competitive!

Did you hear him post game? You could

tell he thought we had absolutely no shot at winning. How are you supposed to effectively coach your team up when you go in with the attitude that there's no way you can win? 

It's okay though, I'm sure he took them all out for ice cream and gave them participation awards.

On 10/13/2017 at 0:51 AM, huskerfan74 said:

Ohio State hangs 56 points on us. Tanner Lee has three interceptions. Fans booo during half time and stadium empties by beginning of fourth quarter. Riley chews his gum calmly as if we are winning. He points out that his players did not execute well but that the coaches have to do a better job. He also mentions that they had a very good practice week but he does not know what went wrong.

bla bla bla...same old story, please fast forward and offer Frost what he wants to come here.

This is how sad and pathetic our team has become. Two days ago, I posted my prediction. I would like to think I am genius for predicting what would happen two days later but sadly it is not an accomplishment since everyone on earth could see this coming.

what did learn!? NOTHING I DO NOT ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THIS TEAM AND COACHING STAFF.

we keep saying it time and time again. It is not funny anymore. In fact, it is sickening and disheartening. What was once a proud husker nation has been reduced to the laughing stock of the BIG 10. we are the new Kansas of the Big 10. I would respect Riley so much if he came out and admitted that this job is way above his head and simply resigned and let someone else try and pick up the peices of what is left of husker pride. Every game, we have a new record broken over our spineless backs. Can we plummet any lower? That is what I want to learn. Did we reach rock bottom or do we still have more embarrassment coming our way...sadly, I think we still have some more ways to drop before hitting rock bottom.