OWH Barfknecht: Nebraska closing in on naming next athletic director

The Duke

9 hours ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

Not so sure anything we have seen is true, more sock talk basically.  Got one crowd saying Danny White(not the former Cowboys Danny White btw) and then these 2 from Jessico0.  We will continue to wait and see.

edit: btw not calling anyone out as to whose wrong or BS'ing us, just stating conflicting sources here now so no one really knows other than maybe former coach Bo Pelini's aquarium guy,

I agree....mostly wishful thinking. Aquarium Guy says Karen is a shoe-in.

59 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Mullens might be looking to get away from the shadow of Knight and Pat Kilkenney (other huge booster that everyone forgets to mention and is arguably more meddlesome than Knight).  I'm sure he gets told on a daily basis that if weren't for the above two that Oregon athletics would be no where.  That would eat at a person after a while.  You have to think he'd get a pretty wide berth when it comes to making decisions.  I know NU athletics is a bit of a mess particularly with the flagship program.  That being said, this is a great time to step in if you're the new AD.  You always want to be the guy after the guy who replaces the man (Eichorst replacing TO).  Eichorst certainly screwed some things up, he did a lot of pretty good things as well.  The next AD will heap the benefits provided he/she (I see you out there Hayseed with your Karen Jennings TShirts) isn't completely tone deaf.  Lastly, money isn't the end all, be all but Mullens would command a pretty nice raise.  I believe he's making around $750k @ Oregon.  Nebraska would probably make an offer in the $1.1-$1.3 range.  

As for the Danny White talk.  He's an intriguing candidate no doubt and I'm sure one day he'll make a great P5 AD.  That being said I'd rather take the guy who has already spent 15+ years at P5 jobs.  Plus, Mullens is in his late 40s so age isn't really a factor.

Wasn't Pat Kilkenney one of the reasons Matt Rhule turned them down this past offseason? 

Dunno about Mullens relationship with those guys, but still would seem weird to leave a better job. Wouldn't be shocked if he used it to get more money out of them, though. 

12 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Wasn't Pat Kilkenney one of the reasons Matt Rhule turned them down this past offseason? 

Dunno about Mullens relationship with those guys, but still would seem weird to leave a better job. Wouldn't be shocked if he used it to get more money out of them, though. 

Honestly, I think Nebraska is the better AD job than Oregon. Yes, Oregon will have Nike money, but that means dealing with Phil Knight. I also wonder how much the student body and the community is invested in the athletic program at Oregon. Eugene is a pretty liberal city that probably has more concerns than sports. I think people know that the students and the community supports the Husker athletic programs, especially if the teams are winning. 

7 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Hiring White seems like such a cheap and thinly veiled attempt to get close to Frost. It's like a kid who has a crush on a girl and he invites her sister to his birthday party. 

Just go after the girl, Skers. 

Thing is we could get the best of both worlds if we went out and got Mullens as AD. An actual proven AD and ties to Frost. That said White has done a good job with his hires at UCF