OWH Barfknecht: Nebraska closing in on naming next athletic director

The Duke

7 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

No, but most here know lots about the athletic departments around the country. Of which Washington State isn't very impressive on any front. 

He's the Mike Riley of AD hires

Not a fair statement. We don't know that. Mike Leach is a top 20 coach and Moos got him to Pullman.

I'm not saying Moos is great or bad or anywhere in the middle. He'll be judged by who he hires to replace Riley and how that coach does. Let's at least see who he hires before freaking the f#&$ out.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

This does not sound good. I thought the AD was supposed to get along with the big money people.

"Moos left Oregon in 2007 after a dispute with Nike founder Phil Knight, who was a big donor to the Oregon Athletics program"

It's cool. He's only the first or second biggest booster in college sports. Don't need people like that monopolizing things, ya know? 

7 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

This does not sound good. I thought the AD was supposed to get along with the big money people.

"Moos left Oregon in 2007 after a dispute with Nike founder Phil Knight, who was a big donor to the Oregon Athletics program"

That's the part that DOES sound good....like this guy is not a cheater and involved in any scandals. I too am wondering why all the NW hires, but they have to be better than the Wisconsin ones.

I think it would be fair to the man for none of us to jump to conclusions. The man's history shows he has been a part of some impressive athletic department turnarounds.

Montana was playing for a National Championship in 1995 by the time he left to take the AD job at Oregon.

What he did for that program along with Phil Knight's money, and Chip Kelly's football innovation speaks for itself.

The key is hiring the right coach that fits Nebraska, and what Nebraska needs right now.

Let's give the man a chance.

Edited by The Duke
  • Plus1 4

People are crazy, jeebus, Wash State was a freaking disaster before Moos came in... HAve you seen where they are now? Hiring Leach took balls, and vision. Moos clearly understands what a coach looks like. Paulwoof went 9-40 at WSU. Leach has this team in the top 10 to 15 range. Beating USC. This Moos guy was an AD at Oregon, this guy knows a helluva lot more to being an AD than Eichorst ever dreamed of... Rejoice husker fans. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

That's the part that DOES sound good....like this guy is not a cheater and involved in any scandals. I too am wondering why all the NW hires, but they have to be better than the Wisconsin ones.

You may be right. If a booster was pushing for skirting the rules, then someone that will stand up to a guy with this much money is a top rate AD.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I think it would be fair to the man for none of us to jump to conclusions. The man's history has been apart of some impressive athletic department turnarounds.

Montana was playing for a National Championship in 1995 by the time he left to take the AD job at Oregon.

What he did for that program along with Phil Knight's money, and Chip Kelly's football innovation speaks for itself.

The key is hiring the right coach that fits Nebraska, and what Nebraska needs right now.

Let's give the man a chance.

I knew nothing about him, but he does have a good record.