Bill Moos named AD

10 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

Why do we keep hiring people from the PAC12? They are insignificant at best compared to all the other power five leagues. The only person I would take from that league is Scott Frost who is a product of Tom Osborne. I do not know the guy but having experienced what the PAC12 offers, I am not sure he is the answer. We will see if he is depending on what he does with the HC of the football team. 

Alabama just hired an AD from Arizona this past offseason. Just because our last Athletic Director made a bad hire from that conference doesn't mean we should ignore the conference as a whole. 

5 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I don't have it in for him.  I wanted somebody more accomplished.  Did he do well at Oregon?  He did, but the next guy in line did light years more in less time.  Had Nebraska hired him (Kilkenny), I'd be dancing the River Dance right now.  That guy hired the baseball coach away from Cal State Fullerton.  That guy hired the current softball coach that has made Oregon a Top 5 team.  That guy hired Dana Altman.  He built the basketball arena and baseball field.  And then there's all of those football facilities that kids drool at when they visit.  Did I mention he was only AD for three years?  That's the guy I want. 

As for Moos, ask yourself what you know about WAZZU athletics.  Is WAZZU a sports juggernaut?  Not even close.  Besides football, I can't think of another sport, men's or women's, where they are top half of the Pac 12, and Moos has been there for seven years.  I think it's a mediocre hire and I fear he was way down on the list.  

Don't get me wrong, I want him to succeed.  I yearn for our Huskers to be a perennial Top 15 team again.  I also want to see other sports do well.  I hope my knee jerk reaction is wrong.      

Didn't Kilkenny kick in a lot of his own money to get facilities built?  I know his net worth his supposed to be north of $100mm.

6 hours ago, FearAmeer said:

Watched the press conference and post press conference interviews. I really get a genuine good vibe by the way he talks like he isn't a complete phony spitting obvious fake stuff he doesn't really believe in. The only thing I found concerning for what he said was that he has a short list of names if he were to hire a head coach. Doesn't completely count Frost out but it concerns me that our next head coach again won't be a national search for a big name guy but instead another AD quick, uninteresting hire. 

Lists can change depending on what school you are at. And it means he is organized and prepared in case something like that happens. You dont want someone who doesnt have any idea what they want if a change were to be made. 

7 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I don't have it in for him.  I wanted somebody more accomplished.  Did he do well at Oregon?  He did, but the next guy in line did light years more in less time.  Had Nebraska hired him (Kilkenny), I'd be dancing the River Dance right now.  That guy hired the baseball coach away from Cal State Fullerton.  That guy hired the current softball coach that has made Oregon a Top 5 team.  That guy hired Dana Altman.  He built the basketball arena and baseball field.  And then there's all of those football facilities that kids drool at when they visit.  Did I mention he was only AD for three years?  That's the guy I want. 

As for Moos, ask yourself what you know about WAZZU athletics.  Is WAZZU a sports juggernaut?  Not even close.  Besides football, I can't think of another sport, men's or women's, where they are top half of the Pac 12, and Moos has been there for seven years.  I think it's a mediocre hire and I fear he was way down on the list.  

Don't get me wrong, I want him to succeed.  I yearn for our Huskers to be a perennial Top 15 team again.  I also want to see other sports do well.  I hope my knee jerk reaction is wrong.      

Please know that if you were sitting at a table with me and we were talking about Husker football you would hear that my 'Boy you've really got it in for him"' statement was said like you would say it to your brother or good friend.  I hope I didn't  offend you.:) 

I'm sure that being from Oregon you have the inside tract.  I don't know Mr. moos from Adam but my first impression was that he appears sincere and has some chops. Is he 'top of the line'? I have know idea but he's willing to step into this mess and try to make it better.  While I hope he tends to all sports, football is why he was brought here. I wish him well and hope he can help us out. 

Edited by ladyhawke

Anyone that wasn't concerned about Tom Osborne's age when he became AD at 70 but is concerned about Moos' age as AD at 67 should re-examine their objectivity.

He has a unique perspective of evaluation of Mike Riley.  So I think whichever way he decides to go, we should accept it as the appropriate step.

He and Bounds and Green talked about fit when discussing coaches in general.  Mike Leach is not a fit in any sense of the word at Nebraska.  Lets just stop with it.

Anyone that has a problem with this hire before seeing what he actual does or can do just wants a reason to bitch about anything.

• Plus1 6
20 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Anyone that wasn't concerned about Tom Osborne's age when he became AD at 70 but is concerned about Moos' age as AD at 67 should re-examine their objectivity.

He has a unique perspective of evaluation of Mike Riley.  So I think whichever way he decides to go, we should accept it as the appropriate step.

He and Bounds and Green talked about fit when discussing coaches in general.  Mike Leach is not a fit in any sense of the word at Nebraska.  Lets just stop with it.

Anyone that has a problem with this hire before seeing what he actual does or can do just wants a reason to bitch about anything.

TO will always and should get benefit of the doubt.  He earned to be AD at Nebraska. It was not a great fit but imagine if they passed on him.  Age at this point in time is a valid point ( though not a concern of mine).  I can't blame some for equating young with energetic even though that doesn't always hold true.

MR is gone.  I would find it odd if Moos was brought in to evaluate him.  

I like Leach a lot, but he is not coming to Lincoln.  I don't know what all the fuss is about. Forget fit, I don't think Leach wants to come to Lincoln nor does every AD bring their most recent hire.  

It's a message board.  People are going to question, and debate and bitch.  If it wasn't for that this board would be quite boring and contain strictly repetitive go-team  posts and memes of varying comical value.  The reason the most successful sports TV and radio programs have controversy and alternate points of view in the programming is because that is what people tune into to experience.  

Edited by HuskerPowerVA

15 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

After watching the press conference, I think there's little doubt about Riley's future. He's gone. 

Just now, The Maudfather said:

After watching the press conference, I think there's little doubt about Riley's future. He's gone. 

Dunno. I could see Moos giving Riley another year and requesting that certain coaches be terminated (e.g. 'Dorf, Cavanaugh). 

I honestly would prefer we terminate Riley and go after someone that can turn the program and its culture around, but that 2018 schedule...it's a bad one. 

2 minutes ago, The Maudfather said:

I got that impression as well.  But I can also see him thinking waiting another year could prove beneficial.  That doesn't mean I think it would be beneficial.  Just that he seems like a guy that has a plan for everything.