Bill Moos named AD

Would it be in Neb best interest to talk to Frost about the possible 2019 opening, if Riley is allowed to stay one more year,  to get the kids he has commitments from. Give Frost one more year at UCF, to let him leave with a program on the up swing.

Next year is a going to be tough for who ever the coach is. Why bring him into that. I want Frost as much as the next guy, but we wouldn't be doing him any favors throwing into that s%&t storm. Just a thought..

GBR!!!

1 minute ago, huskered17 said:

Would it be in Neb best interest to talk to Frost about the possible 2019 opening, if Riley is allowed to stay one more year,  to get the kids he has commitments from. Give Frost one more year at UCF, to let him leave with a program on the up swing.

Next year is a going to be tough for who ever the coach is. Why bring him into that. I want Frost as much as the next guy, but we wouldn't be doing him any favors throwing into that s%&t storm. Just a thought..

GBR!!!

Why let Riley take the sinking ship further down into the water?  Let Frost (or whomever is named coach) get into Lincoln this year and start making wholesale changes. I don't care if this hurts this year's recruiting class. One "poor" recruiting class is better than one more year of terrible leadership and pushing a turnaround down another year. 

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, huskered17 said:

GBR!!!

Why the f#*k would we give Riley one more year to keep is 31st ranked recruiting class intact? There's this misconception that Mike Riley and co. are killing it on the recruiting trail. He's doing an adequate job. 

Hot take: if anyone deserved another year based on keeping a recruiting class together, it was Callahan. 

• Plus1 4
6 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

GBR!!!

It's a once thought, but college football is a "now" business.  They don't hold jobs open and there are no guarantees. By 2019 Frost could be very satisfied with UCF or hired by another top program. 

5 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

GBR!!!

Only way I see this is if Frost turns us down to stay at UCF and others on our list do the same. I have been skeptical Frost is willing to leave now for sure, but after reading some stuff this morning I am starting to think Frost is inevitable, which is a good thing. First year at UCF wasn't pretty for Frost necessarily, but now look what he is doing in year 2. With an easier schedule in 2019 Frost could possibly repeat that here. 

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Only way I see this is if Frost turns us down to stay at UCF and others on our list do the same. I have been skeptical Frost is willing to leave now for sure, but after reading some stuff this morning I am starting to think Frost is inevitable, which is a good thing. First year at UCF wasn't pretty for Frost necessarily, but now look what he is doing in year 2. With an easier schedule in 2019 Frost could possibly repeat that here. 

I agree.  After being skeptical (I like to think open minded) and hesitant to focus on a single HC candidate, I think Moos already has been told who his next coach will be and was brought in to close the deal.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I would rather have Frost or the next coach work to establish a new team culture during a rough schedule, than an easy one. If there are tough games and results, it will give the new coach more power to work to change to the kids. 

• Plus1 2

Frost wouldn't go 12-1 his first year, anyhow. There will be bumps in the road. There will be games you lose that make you scratch your head. It's all part of the process. Year 2, you expect a lot more. Year 3, you better be getting there. Year 4, you should know either way.

With the Big Ten, who knows years ahead of time, Hawaii may have joined the conference and they've been swapped for Rutgers. Right now, that year 2 schedule, when you're expecting a bump, is about as favorable as we may see for awhile. Our future conference schedules aren't pretty, it's just how it is.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I would rather have Frost or the next coach work to establish a new team culture during a rough schedule, than an easy one. If there are tough games and results, it will give the new coach more power to work to change to the kids. 

Yep. If 2018 is going to be as bad as everyone is expecting then we will be way better off with Frost than Riley. The team will be ready to dominate the 2019 schedule instead of having to deal with all of the change when we have a good shot for a run given our schedule. Now I don't know if we'd be better off with our option Z over Riley, but that is a discussion for a later time. 

The sooner the better.  Look what Michigan alum Harbaugh has done with their recruiting.  He has had some tough schedules but was competitive immediately and his last few classes have been filled with top recruits.  If is was not for QB troubles they would have an excellent chance at beating OSU.  Point being, the sooner the culture and rebuild starts the better.  Forget about schedule.  Focus on us first.  This might take a while. 

• Plus1 1

Who cares who built what stadium at Oregon for Football or Basketball?  This athletic director was not hired to find donor money to build new facilities at Nebraska.  What's he going to do, tear down the Pinnacle Bank Arena and build us a better basketball venue?  Build a new and improved Devaney Center for Volleyball?  Haymarket Park seems like a good venue.  The new soccer field was built in 2015 so we're good there, etc. etc.  The football stadium has undergone major renovations to increase it's capacity significantly.  (though personally I wish they would have torn it down and built a smaller 75,000-80,000 stadium that traps noise and has actual seats).  

He's here to raise money to spend on finding and paying for winning coaches, not for vamping up our facilities.  Three fourths of UNL's main sports are struggling to put out winning seasons.  Football and Men's and Women's basketball are all getting to the point of being unwatchable even with good solid fan bases and incredible venues.

Edited by InOmaha
13 hours ago, Luvmaui said:

Just a small correction to an earlier post saying that Moose brought Phil Knight to Oregon.  Phil Knight graduated from Oregon and Stanford.  He ran track at Oregon and co-founded Nike with his track coach.  He's given billions of dollars to both schools and has always been actively involved at Oregon.

Phil Knight may be an alumnus, and been "actively involved" in the past, but he never gave substantial sums of money to the athletic department until 1996 (football practice facility).  Bill Moos was hired in 1995.  Seems likely that he had a hand in bringing Knight in, at least based on that timeline.  Also consider what Bill said in his introductory presser about "money growing on trees" at Oregon.  It wasn't at the time he was hired.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2013/08/03/thank-you-phil-knight-oregons-new-68-million-recruiting-tool/#e92d55c3ebd1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2014/12/29/oregon-nike-phil-knight-college-football-playoff/21013009/

• Plus1 1