Bill Moos named AD

“Basically the reaction across college sports was ‘WTF.’ ”

That’s USA Today’s Dan Wolken on his college football podcast commenting on Nebraska’s new athletic director, Bill Moos. His partner in crime, George Schroeder, concurred. 

“I’m going to read you a text I got from a Power Five administrator. ‘Most shocking P5 AD hire since Sandy Barbour.’ I think it’s more shocking than Sandy Barbour getting hired (at Penn State). It’s the equivalent of Nebraska hiring Mike Riley as the football coach. It’s that far out of left field.”

Now, before we go on, it’s worth pointing out that Wolken and Schroeder aren’t known to fly off the handle. These are reasonable minds who know the business. They’re well-connected. 

Hiring Bill Moos won’t necessarily pan out as badly as Riley’s hire, Schroeder said. “But it’s a wild hire. Just crazy.”

Wolken and Schroeder agreed that age is the eye-raising factor. A school like Nebraska usually hires someone in his prime. Not someone at the end of his career.

“There’s nobody in college sports who understands the direction they’re going with this hire,” Wolken said. “Maybe there is somebody out there who thinks it’s perfect … but the reaction I got generally was sort of like, why did they want to go this route when they probably could’ve had a bunch of other guys?”

OWH

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Why let Riley take the sinking ship further down into the water?  Let Frost (or whomever is named coach) get into Lincoln this year and start making wholesale changes. I don't care if this hurts this year's recruiting class. One "poor" recruiting class is better than one more year of terrible leadership and pushing a turnaround down another year. 

Besides - Naming Frost early will help the recruiting class IMHO

1 hour ago, InOmaha said:

Who cares who built what stadium at Oregon for Football or Basketball?  This athletic director was not hired to find donor money to build new facilities at Nebraska.  What's he going to do, tear down the Pinnacle Bank Arena and build us a better basketball venue?  Build a new and improved Devaney Center for Volleyball?  Haymarket Park seems like a good venue.  The new soccer field was built in 2015 so we're good there, etc. etc.  The football stadium has undergone major renovations to increase it's capacity significantly.  (though personally I wish they would have torn it down and built a smaller 75,000-80,000 stadium that traps noise and has actual seats).  

He's here to raise money to spend on finding and paying for winning coaches, not for vamping up our facilities.  Three fourths of UNL's main sports are struggling to put out winning seasons.  Football and Men's and Women's basketball are all getting to the point of being unwatchable even with good solid fan bases and incredible venues.

He said exactly that in the presser "the support, the facilities, they are already in place, which isn't the case in a lot of colleges.  We can come in and focus on the competitive part right away.."

That, among other comments really sold me.

23 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

Man why did reading that give me an uneasy feeling? 

We don't know if it was the first choice.  I think with where the fan base is, it would be hard to get many people to take the job.  I mean, how many threads are there speculating on who the next coach will be before MR has his walking papers.  It actually gets annoying.  I think culturally BMAD is a good hire.  He seems to fit the culture way better than SE.  A lot of UNL issues right now seem to be relational outside of the football coach.  Damon Benning and others have said the firing of SE was only about 20%-25% had to do with FB.

I wonder who he's going to go after for a basketball coach.  Miles can't keep fielding doormat teams with losing records and struggling to stay at #11 out of 12 teams for too long before that catches up. 

I think it's funny that people think message boards represent a fan base.  There's no guarantee a person posting is even a fan.  Fans are the easiest people to troll on the internet.  Facebook, Twitter, message boards are not the fans.  Nobody cares about our opinions here.  They care about ticket sales, ad revenue, TV timeslots, and the people who pay the bills.  Random opinions on the internet, ha.

Edited by InOmaha
  • Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, zoogs said:

If he ever has to get fired, how are we going to get mad about a guy who grew up on a ranch and can talk to people in jeans?

He didn't hire Frost. Frost goes to some other university and goes on a 60-3 win loss streak. :D

(I just want NU to win.) 

• Plus1 1

Consider former Oregon coach Mike Bellotti among those impressed by the hire of Bill Moos for the Nebraska athletic director position.

Few in the business have worked with Moos as long as Bellotti did, who served as the football coach during the entire duration of Moos' time as Oregon's athletic director.

https://nebraska.247sports.com/Bolt/Nebraska-Huskers-football-vs-Purdue-Boilermakers-football-time-s-109020738

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, The Maudfather said:

Why the f#*k would we give Riley one more year to keep is 31st ranked recruiting class intact? There's this misconception that Mike Riley and co. are killing it on the recruiting trail. He's doing an adequate job. 

Hot take: if anyone deserved another year based on keeping a recruiting class together, it was Callahan. 

This ranking is mainly due to the fact we have way less scholarships to offer this year then everyone else. The average quality of recruit is good though

• Plus1 1