Bill Moos named AD

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Consider former Oregon coach Mike Bellotti among those impressed by the hire of Bill Moos for the Nebraska athletic director position.

Few in the business have worked with Moos as long as Bellotti did, who served as the football coach during the entire duration of Moos' time as Oregon's athletic director.

https://nebraska.247sports.com/Bolt/Nebraska-Huskers-football-vs-Purdue-Boilermakers-football-time-s-109020738

Here's an interview with Bellotti from today on 1620:

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Phil Knight may be an alumnus, and been "actively involved" in the past, but he never gave substantial sums of money to the athletic department until 1996 (football practice facility).  Bill Moos was hired in 1995.  Seems likely that he had a hand in bringing Knight in, at least based on that timeline.  Also consider what Bill said in his introductory presser about "money growing on trees" at Oregon.  It wasn't at the time he was hired.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2013/08/03/thank-you-phil-knight-oregons-new-68-million-recruiting-tool/#e92d55c3ebd1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2014/12/29/oregon-nike-phil-knight-college-football-playoff/21013009/

Oh I'm sorry, I should have known that you would have more information in South Dakota reading articles than someone who's been around the UO football program since 1975!

3 minutes ago, Luvmaui said:

Oh I'm sorry, I should have known that you would have more information in South Dakota reading articles than someone who's been around the UO football program since 1975!

So educate me.  When before 1996 did Phil Knight donate a sizable amount of money to Oregon's athletic department?  Did the reporters from Sports Illustrated and Forbes magazines get it wrong?  Did Moos lie in the press conference when he said there was no "money trees" at Oregon when he was hired in 1995?  I'm willing to learn.

Edited by Kiyoat Husker
  • Plus1 2

12 minutes ago, Luvmaui said:

The post you're quoting has two linked articles supporting that conclusion. You've got a screen name and 4 posts. You're going to have to post something more than "believe me" to be taken seriously.

• Plus1 2

At his age, I could see Moos being a 2-3 year hatchet man.  Make the tough hires and fires and ride off into the sunset.  Literally.  Maybe raise some money along the way.  He appears to be a great fit for our culture, especially the rural sector.

Rimington came in as a temp on short notice.  He has unfinished business at the Esiason Foundation.  2-3 years should be plenty to get his replacement up to speed.

This is all speculation on my part, not a Rumor, but maybe it belongs in Rumorville. 

38 minutes ago, WhatDoIKnow said:

At his age, I could see Moos being a 2-3 year hatchet man.  Make the tough hires and fires and ride off into the sunset.  Literally.  Maybe raise some money along the way.  He appears to be a great fit for our culture, especially the rural sector.

Rimington came in as a temp on short notice.  He has unfinished business at the Esiason Foundation.  2-3 years should be plenty to get his replacement up to speed.

This is all speculation on my part, not a Rumor, but maybe it belongs in Rumorville. 

I had the same thought. I hope that Dave will be back in a few years as well and take over the AD position. 

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

The post you're quoting has two linked articles supporting that conclusion. You've got a screen name and 4 posts. You're going to have to post something more than "believe me" to be taken seriously.

I can understand that!  I'm a Corvallis, Oregon native so I'm an Oregon State fan, but NO fan of Riley, and since UO is only 40 miles south most of us are also UO fans until the Civil War. In fact many households in Oregon are "mixed".  We have 4 sons, all OSU grads and one of our daughters-in-law is a UO grad. Our youngest son is a good friend of Mike Bellotti's nephew, also named Mike Bellotti. I'm a female who loves sports, but not with nearly as much football knowledge as all of you.

I guess the reason I came over to visit your board is my interest in your surprise hiring of Bill Moos, especially knowing his connection to Mike Riley, and very familiar with the histories of both men and the athletic depts they worked for.  I don't know how much money the poster considers "substantial" giving by Phil Knight before 1996 but it seemed substantial to us. Phil Knight didn't need to be "brought in" by anybody.  His father was donating enough to have his name on campus buildings before Phil did.  No, Bill Moos wasn't lying about "money trees" but Knight had a great deal of influence before Moos came along.  The article I read about the greeting Riley gave Moos yesterday was a very good representation of their relationship....The two men are friends!  I don't know if it will make any difference in whether or not he fires Riley, but it will be very interesting to watch.

Now I'll get back to the huge mess we have going on in our own football program and not bother you guys.  Good luck with the rest of your season!

• Plus1 3
15 minutes ago, Luvmaui said:

I can understand that!  I'm a Corvallis, Oregon native so I'm an Oregon State fan, but NO fan of Riley, and since UO is only 40 miles south most of us are also UO fans until the Civil War. In fact many households in Oregon are "mixed".  We have 4 sons, all OSU grads and one of our daughters-in-law is a UO grad. Our youngest son is a good friend of Mike Bellotti's nephew, also named Mike Bellotti. I'm a female who loves sports, but not with nearly as much football knowledge as all of you.

I guess the reason I came over to visit your board is my interest in your surprise hiring of Bill Moos, especially knowing his connection to Mike Riley, and very familiar with the histories of both men and the athletic depts they worked for.  I don't know how much money the poster considers "substantial" giving by Phil Knight before 1996 but it seemed substantial to us. Phil Knight didn't need to be "brought in" by anybody.  His father was donating enough to have his name on campus buildings before Phil did.  No, Bill Moos wasn't lying about "money trees" but Knight had a great deal of influence before Moos came along.  The article I read about the greeting Riley gave Moos yesterday was a very good representation of their relationship....The two men are friends!  I don't know if it will make any difference in whether or not he fires Riley, but it will be very interesting to watch.

Now I'll get back to the huge mess we have going on in our own football program and not bother you guys.  Good luck with the rest of your season!

Thanks for the clarification!  As with most things related to hiring and firing in college football, there are always "many sides" (Trump reference, couldn't resist) to the story.  Some in this thread are saying that Moos had very little to do with the growth and success of Oregon's athletic programs in the late 90's and early 2000's, or that Kilkenny did far more in the 3 years he was AD.

That may be true, but I have a hard time believing that he wasn't a major factor, being he was the AD at that time.  Bellotti has lots of praise for him, but I guess that could just be because they were friends.  Obviously Moos and Knight had a falling out, since he apparently was the force behind Moos's firing.  That is concerning.  Maybe Knight never liked Moos from the start.  That would seem odd, though, since Moos was there for twelve years.

Any insights you have on Moos are appreciated.  We like outside perspectives on this board.  I guess I just don't understand the criticisms or minimizing of his resume.  Seems like he has had a positive impact on the three programs he has touched.  I don't get it.

• Plus1 2

Not sure I understand this hire.

Why get a guy who is past retirement age to run the future of your athletics program?

Why get a guy who has his department in a huge budget deficit?

Why NOT get someone with Nebraska ties who would know the culture of the program?

Why NOT get someone with Nebraska ties who would already have an "in" of familiarity and trust with boosters/fans for fundraising?  I'd have a lot more trust in giving money to Paul Meyers, Trev Alberts, Rimington, Ed Stewart, etc..  then some unknown dude.

Why NOT get a guy who we know Frosty would like to work for?

Makes me nervous about a hopeful coaching hire.  This fan base is almost lost of hope, another WTF coaching hire and you could lose a big chunk for a long time.

Just get Scott Frost here and you'll be ok, Moose!

Edited by Husker Q
35 minutes ago, Husker Q said:

Not sure I understand this hire.

Why get a guy who is past retirement age to run the future of your athletics program?  All speculation on my part, but see my post a few above yours.

Why get a guy who has his department in a huge budget deficit?  It would almost be impossible to do this at UNL

Why NOT get someone with Nebraska ties who would know the culture of the program?  See my first comment, but why do you think he doesn't understand our culture?  I got "old school" from the start.

Why NOT get someone with Nebraska ties who would already have an "in" of familiarity and trust with boosters/fans for fundraising?  I'd have a lot more trust in giving money to Paul Meyers, Trev Alberts, Remington, Ed Stewart, etc..  then some unknown dude.  He's a freaking cattle rancher.  What better fit would there be?  All for "Remington" (It's Rimington) down the road, but he wasn't available at this time.  Very well could be in a couple of years.

Why NOT get a guy who we know Frosty would like to work for?  Who says Frost wouldn't want to work for this guy?  Again, he came off as completely Old School.  That seems to be what everyone wants.  Being from the PAC12, he for sure knows who Frost is.

Makes me nervous about a hopeful coaching hire.  This fan base is almost lost of hope, another WTF coaching hire and you could lose a big chunk for a long time.  Just my opinion, but he doesn't seem like a guy that would run a one-man search committee and pick a .500 coach.

Just get Scott Frost here and you'll be ok, Moose!

Edited by WhatDoIKnow
36 minutes ago, WhatDoIKnow said:

Yeah, could be a hatchet man but there's really no logic in doing that anyway, a longer term guy could easily fire Riley.

Would you want someone who succeeded in his budget or failed?  (even if it's harder to fail here)

He has no connections and doesn't know Nebraska.  Does he even know one person in Nebraska.  He just used to watch NU-OU games.  His personality/style might fit in well but doesn't know NEbraska.  Mike Riley's personality might fit in but he sure doesn't know NE.

I hope you're right in Rimington or similar in a couple years (but then only sign Moos to 2 years!).

Frost MAY like the guy but he would almost certainly rather work with one of the other guys.

Every decent AD in the country should know who Frost is! 

Do you KNOW what kind of search and hire he would do?  It's all question marks with him.

I'm not saying it's a terrible hire (like I said Callahan and Riley were), but there sure seem to be a lot more question marks with Moos than some of the others.  I certainly hope he works out but with uncertainty comes apprehension.

I think you have my favorite picture :)

Literally all Bill Moos has to do is hire Scott Frost and he will be a hero at Nebraska for the next century. You have 3 easy ass jobs: 1. keep giving money to john cook, 2. hire scott frost 3. find a replacement for miles literally almost anyone you hire will be better and if it isn't then it's not that big of a deal it's husker basketball we always suck

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, FearAmeer said:

Literally all Bill Moos has to do is hire Scott Frost and he will be a hero at Nebraska for the next century. You have 3 easy ass jobs: 1. keep giving money to john cook, 2. hire scott frost 3. find a replacement for miles literally almost anyone you hire will be better and if it isn't then it's not that big of a deal it's husker basketball we always suck

In terms of #3:

Maybe we can steal Tyronn Lue from the Cavs once LeBron leaves for LA after this season (I wish).

Or maybe we should offer the job to a former player who young players grew up admiring & respect and wouldn't mind learning from and hanging out with for a year or two... offer the job to Manu Ginobli, Tim Duncan, Steve Nash, Vince Carter, Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Dwayne Wade (if he retires)... Big names w/ clean reputations. Just a thought.