Bill Moos named AD

1 hour ago, Red_Payne said:

In terms of #3:

Maybe we can steal Tyronn Lue from the Cavs once LeBron leaves for LA after this season (I wish).

Or maybe we should offer the job to a former player who young players grew up admiring & respect and wouldn't mind learning from and hanging out with for a year or two... offer the job to Manu Ginobli, Tim Duncan, Steve Nash, Vince Carter, Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Dwayne Wade (if he retires)... Big names w/ clean reputations. Just a thought.

Tom Crean is available 

15 hours ago, WhatDoIKnow said:

At his age, I could see Moos being a 2-3 year hatchet man.  Make the tough hires and fires and ride off into the sunset.  Literally.  Maybe raise some money along the way.  He appears to be a great fit for our culture, especially the rural sector.

Rimington came in as a temp on short notice.  He has unfinished business at the Esiason Foundation.  2-3 years should be plenty to get his replacement up to speed.

This is all speculation on my part, not a Rumor, but maybe it belongs in Rumorville. 

Had the same thought.  Actually, my first thought was "In 3-4 years Alberts might be ready to take a crack at it" but then I thought Remington might be in front of him in line.

I think Moos is about as close to a win-win situation as you can get.  He really doesn't have anything that needs "fixing" under his direct control - that is, in the athletic department admin side.  Facilities are good.  B1G money is going to be rolling in.  He had plenty of experience to keep things rolling fine on that side.  And he seems like a guy who will hit it off well with boosters to keep them engaged.

He's going to have to fire a football coach but he will get almost no objections to that.  He will have the chance to bring a native son home or (possibly) shoot for the moon to try lure some big name with a blank check.  If he goes the Frost route, he will likely have at least 3--4 years where people will be willing to be patient.  By that time, he'll be close to retirement.

Really the only "tough" thing he'll have to do is evaluate the basketball coach.  If there isn't marked improvement, he probably won't get much push-back if he decided to make a change there, given past results.  If there is improvement, people will quickly get back behind Miles because of his personality.  If he makes a change, he'll again have a least a 3-4 year window where people won't be expecting much from a historically bad program.

Not a lot of down side for Moos for grabbing a quick 33% raise plus incentives.  Not a lot of risk by Brown/Green when they can truly grab a guy who they think is the best "fit" because he's not likely to have to make drastic changes that will be lacking in public support.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Had the same thought.  Actually, my first thought was "In 3-4 years Alberts might be ready to take a crack at it" but then I thought Remington might be in front of him in line.

I think Moos is about as close to a win-win situation as you can get.  He really doesn't have anything that needs "fixing" under his direct control - that is, in the athletic department admin side.  Facilities are good.  B1G money is going to be rolling in.  He had plenty of experience to keep things rolling fine on that side.  And he seems like a guy who will hit it off well with boosters to keep them engaged.

He's going to have to fire a football coach but he will get almost no objections to that.  He will have the chance to bring a native son home or (possibly) shoot for the moon to try lure some big name with a blank check.  If he goes the Frost route, he will likely have at least 3--4 years where people will be willing to be patient.  By that time, he'll be close to retirement.

Really the only "tough" thing he'll have to do is evaluate the basketball coach.  If there isn't marked improvement, he probably won't get much push-back if he decided to make a change there, given past results.  If there is improvement, people will quickly get back behind Miles because of his personality.  If he makes a change, he'll again have a least a 3-4 year window where people won't be expecting much from a historically bad program.

Not a lot of down side for Moos for grabbing a quick 33% raise plus incentives.  Not a lot of risk by Brown/Green when they can truly grab a guy who they think is the best "fit" because he's not likely to have to make drastic changes that will be lacking in public support.

Totally agree...this is a huge win for him and if it works out well he basically has a lifetime pass to come back and still shoot the s#!t at games.

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The only other thing mentioned that Moos will have to do is evaluate the staffing levels at the Athletic Department.  Eichorst had a LOT of support staffers, that Moos may not see as necessary and they will trim some fat there.

11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The only other thing mentioned that Moos will have to do is evaluate the staffing levels at the Athletic Department.  Eichorst had a LOT of support staffers, that Moos may not see as necessary and they will trim some fat there.

Yea but that is chump stuff, not too difficult at all. As long as he doesn't go out to left field for a FB coach.....

Edited by Nebfanatic

Honestly if Moos gets it done and hires Frost it will feel like a National Championship win in itself. For once our administration might not f up a hire and go out of left field. Hiring Frost people will be patient and allow him 5 years MINIMUM before calling for his head in extreme situations and if he doesn't pan out who's gonna be mad at the AD because we all wanted him anyway

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, FearAmeer said:

Honestly if Moos gets it done and hires Frost it will feel like a National Championship win in itself. For once our administration might not f up a hire and go out of left field. Hiring Frost people will be patient and allow him 5 years MINIMUM before calling for his head in extreme situations and if he doesn't pan out who's gonna be mad at the AD because we all wanted him anyway

Just so I'm clear.  If Moos hires anyone other than Frost, you'll consider that a f'up hire?  Pretty narrow window there if so.   I have Frost so far at the top of my "want" list that he's two pages ahead of anyone else.  But if Moos winds up hiring someone else (heck Frost may not want to come here even if offered), I'm willing to get on board.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, grandpasknee said:

Just so I'm clear.  If Moos hires anyone other than Frost, you'll consider that a f'up hire?  Pretty narrow window there if so.   I have Frost so far at the top of my "want" list that he's two pages ahead of anyone else.  But if Moos winds up hiring someone else (heck Frost may not want to come here even if offered), I'm willing to get on board.

I am willing to accept anyone but Frost if Frost is offered and declines. But if it's for a reason such as not offering him enough, he goes elsewhere before we talk with him, we hire someone else and he wants the job, then I will be highly highly disappointed.