Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

27 minutes ago, skers44 said:

David Shaw

IMO the field is wide open.   I think Frost gets a seat at the table along with other qualified candidates.  I think this hire shows they are serious about finding the right one for the job not just pandering to the masses.

I'm a fan of Shaw and I think his flavor of football would play well here, he could turn down the intellectual a few notches and ramp up the brutality pretty easily.

• Plus1 2
33 minutes ago, skers44 said:

Of course,

Leach

Frost

but after that who would be a realistic hire

from Moos? (btw it is pronounced M-oh-s, i was crushed when I heard that)

Chip Kelly? David Shaw? Interested in your opinions on this

I've always heard it pronounced as "Moose."  Not that it's correct, but the folks around here called him "Moose."  

Let's get real.  Why would a top coach come to UNL?  The expectations are not realistic.  The recruiting base in crap.  Ahman Green and Eric Crouch are not coming through those doors.  Nebraska high school football does not produce like it once did.  Our 500 mile radius hasn't been good lately either.  

Money?  We don't pay nearly as much as other schools so don't mention money.  Look at Riley's salary and then look where it ranks in the country.  People like to talk about money, but Nebraska didn't pay until Diaco this year.  And that's been a disaster.  

Why would David Shaw give up California recruiting?  Chip Kelly recruited GREAT.  So much so Oregon was sanctioned by the NCAA.  That's why Chip ran for the NFL.  Does anybody else remember the coaching search that yielded us Pelini?  People didn't want to come here then.  My guess is less so now.    

Riley is right.  This is a four or five year rebuild.  But without Riley.  And there is no way we go back to being the old Nebraska.  Other schools have caught up, and again, we don't get the kids we need to consistently be contenders for the national championship.  The pipeline is gone. 

15 minutes ago, Hingle McCringleberry said:

I'm a fan of Shaw and I think his flavor of football would play well here, he could turn down the intellectual a few notches and ramp up the brutality pretty easily.

?

Pretty sure if Stanford played Nebraska next week, it would be pretty brutal

It is clear he was brought in to build the football program back up. That means Riley is basically already fired without being fired yet. 

Chip Kelly, IMO, now becomes a realistic candidate because of the connection from Oregon. 

Realistic:

Chip Kelly

Frost

Utah caoch

Navy coach (might be pushing it, but still a solid coach)

His focus will be to build the football program back up so I suspect he goes with someone that is a bright football mind. 

12 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I've always heard it pronounced as "Moose."  Not that it's correct, but the folks around here called him "Moose."  

Let's get real.  Why would a top coach come to UNL?  The expectations are not realistic.  The recruiting base in crap.  Ahman Green and Eric Crouch are not coming through those doors.  Nebraska high school football does not produce like it once did.  Our 500 mile radius hasn't been good lately either.  

Money?  We don't pay nearly as much as other schools so don't mention money.  Look at Riley's salary and then look where it ranks in the country.  People like to talk about money, but Nebraska didn't pay until Diaco this year.  And that's been a disaster.  

Why would David Shaw give up California recruiting?  Chip Kelly recruited GREAT.  So much so Oregon was sanctioned by the NCAA.  That's why Chip ran for the NFL.  Does anybody else remember the coaching search that yielded us Pelini?  People didn't want to come here then.  My guess is less so now.    

Riley is right.  This is a four or five year rebuild.  But without Riley.  And there is no way we go back to being the old Nebraska.  Other schools have caught up, and again, we don't get the kids we need to consistently be contenders for the national championship.  The pipeline is gone. 

Luckily in Nebraska we GROW and BUILD things..... Maybe in some parts of the country things are just USED until they are gone.

Edited by GBRFAN