Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

Just now, lo country said:

With our past records, switching schemes, poor coaching, getting blown out on national tv, we still land classes around 22-25....Plenty good to win the West every year with a winning coach.  We start winning the West and not get blown out, these classes start to crack the top 20...  Might point being, for all the can't recruit to NU we don't do bad at all.  If we start to win, all that other stuff goes away...

But they've travelled all over the country to get them. Yes, we've had a few walkon diamonds, but there has never been a recruiting base like other schools. Good programs attract recruits from wherever. 

14 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

But they've travelled all over the country to get them. Yes, we've had a few walkon diamonds, but there has never been a recruiting base like other schools. Good programs attract recruits from wherever. 

There is talent in Nebraska. But if the coach assumes there is no talent in state, then they do not try to identify it.

NU1997.jpg.92d45f65aeec28ddba9b6f567ee72cad.jpg

Edited by MichiganDad3

I'm not sure if Nebraska would ever hire Bohl but with that said I don't care if he isn't flashy... he is a blue collared hard nosed football coach.  We would definitely be physical and tough for sure. 

Talking about Nebraska in-state talent, Bohl  has some very good Nebraska talent on his roster now at Wyoming. Kids that we don't always deem worthy now but probably would've been takes by Osborne and his system. 

Edited by BartonHusker
  • Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

It tells us that if you have pre-conceived notions about in state talent those notions will come true because you will not try to identify the local talent.

Do you legitimately think we could win a natty with mostly in state or local talent now? 

For the record, if you say yes I won't bash you for it. Actually interested because we have no way of knowing for sure. I don't disagree there is talent in state and around us and we should utilize that as much as we can. But personally I doubt we could recreate what we did in 97 as far as in state talent is concerned. If it did happen I think it would be after years and years of building the program into an incredibly well oiled machine, not unlike TOs journey to that point. 

Edited by Nebfanatic

2 minutes ago, BartonHusker said:

Depends on what positions you were recruiting from within in-state?   We may not be a state full of skill position players but there's a lot a tough SOB's that have been getting overlooked.   We can still load up our roster with plenty of quality Nebraska lineman imo. OL, TE, DT, DE and LB's for sure. 

I don't see that. Many of the towns are full of old childless people or just withering away. The demographics are not the same.

10 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I don't see that. Many of the towns are full of old childless people or just withering away. The demographics are not the same.

Disagree. First of all, the cities in Nebraska are bigger, so there's more to choose from, not to mention that you'll see a pretty good athlete here and there in some of these little towns

21 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Do you legitimately think we could win a natty with mostly in state or local talent now? 

For the record, if you say yes I won't bash you for it. Actually interested because we have no way of knowing for sure. I don't disagree there is talent in state and around us and we should utilize that as much as we can. But personally I doubt we could recreate what we did in 97 as far as in state talent is concerned. If it did happen I think it would be after years and years of building the program into an incredibly well oiled machine, not unlike TOs journey to that point. 

I am stating that it is silly to say there is no in-state talent. I prefer a coach that builds relationships with every in-state football, basketball and track coach, and works hard to see find kids with potential at the next level. Maybe a kid is 6'3" bu 190 lbs. Can this kid play at NU? Maybe he is all conference after 3 years in the NU weight system. All I want is for our staff to put in this effort. 

• Plus1 2