Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

4 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I'm nominating you for Guinness 'Most Depressing Guy In the World'. A good coach attracts and develops good players. It's contagious.

Players will come if they think its a pipe line to the pros and their parents will push them if they think their kids will get an education.  The rest is on the assistants to make the person to person connection and then to develop the players- their fundamentals, their conditioning, their pride and their motivation.   The Nebraska players are still out there. There plenty of NU grads and ex-players around the country who can find good talent and pass it on to the coaches.

We can't have revolving door coaches and offensive/defensive systems.  I always felt that Solich got fires a year too early and Pelini needed someone to slap him up side the head while he grew up.  Didn't happen- so the fans in the blogs yell for a new coach that will surely solve our problems.

Successful coaches are already employed by big name schools.  If you want one, you need to hire him away with huge salaries and guarantees.  The only other sensible route is to find a very successful winning coach at a second or third tier school looking for his next step.  Then buy the great assistant coaches to develop players and do the recruiting.  Should be simple to do with tens of millions of dollars.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, austintxhusker said:

Thanks, Austin. So if NU wants to still think themselves as a big program, we need to start shelling out cash for our head coach. I don't care if he has 20 years of coaching experience or this is the guy's first head coaching job, pay the guy the market rate for a head coach at one of the pre-eminent programs in college football. 

4 minutes ago, lo country said:

Got fired after the 2002 season.  Had been on staff since 95 (LB's) and D.C. 2000-2002.

His stints at NDSU and Wyoming show him to be a "big picture guy" IMHO...

I have heard press commentary that he is still upset over it and does not like to talk about it.  He is from Nebraska, a player, assistant and then a Defensive coordinator for one year before being fired by Solich.  It was embarrassing, hurtful and was a scapegoat.  He has also said that Wyoming is his last stop before retiring.

4 minutes ago, URSS said:

I have heard press commentary that he is still upset over it and does not like to talk about it.  He is from Nebraska, a player, assistant and then a Defensive coordinator for one year before being fired by Solich.  It was embarrassing, hurtful and was a scapegoat.  He has also said that Wyoming is his last stop before retiring.

He was DC for 3 years after McBride retired (1999) and before Pelini's one year as DC (2003). 

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Thanks, Austin. So if NU wants to still think themselves as a big program, we need to start shelling out cash for our head coach. I don't care if he has 20 years of coaching experience or this is the guy's first head coaching job, pay the guy the market rate for a head coach at one of the pre-eminent programs in college football. 

This is the key.  You have to pay as if you are one of the best jobs out there if you want to be one of the best jobs out there.

2 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

He was DC for 3 years after McBride retired (1999) and before Pelini's one year as DC (2003). 

This is the key.  You have to pay as if you are one of the best jobs out there if you want to be one of the best jobs out there.

You don't pay the market rate based on the guy you're hiring, you are paying the market rate based on the job you are paying for. 

• Plus1 1

I have a very strange feeling that this hire was meant for us to hire Chip Kelly as HC. He is available and will jump on the opportunity to coach a power five team. Keep in mind that the word power being used with our current team is an insult to the concept of power.

Chip Kelly is available and not tied to any team and many teams will be looking for coaches by end of this season. I feel that the administration moved fast so that they can line up Chip Kelly, especially with this new AD being a PAC12  product. 

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I have a very strange feeling that this hire was meant for us to hire Chip Kelly as HC. He is available and will jump on the opportunity to coach a power five team. Keep in mind that the word power being used with our current team is an insult to the concept of power.

Chip Kelly is available and not tied to any team and many teams will be looking for coaches by end of this season. I feel that the administration moved fast so that they can line up Chip Kelly, especially with this new AD being a PAC12  product. 

Thoughts?

Honestly, I think people are making too much out of the potential head coaching connections to the new AD.  With NU continuing to struggle this year, it's a 2-step process. 1.  Hire the new AD.  2.  Let him conduct a full search for the next head coach.

If people are thinking Leach, Kelly, or even Frost, they are trying to make connections that aren't completely there. 

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Honestly, I think people are making too much out of the potential head coaching connections to the new AD.  With NU continuing to struggle this year, it's a 2-step process. 1.  Hire the new AD.  2.  Let him conduct a full search for the next head coach 

I honestly do not think that we can keep Riley any longer given that he will not change no matter how much time you give him, and good coaches get snagged very quickly as universities are getting desperate to compete. The AD has a very narrow window to snag a good coach. Whether it is Chip Kelly or Scott Frost, we need to move fast. I prefer Frost but I would take Chip Kelly in a second over the average clown we have right now.

5 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Thoughts?

How many years of college HC experience does Kelly even have?  3 or 4?  He's like the Jon Gruden of college football.  People talk like he's Saban and he's as fresh a HC as Frost.

• Plus1 2