Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

7 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Based on everything I’ve heard from Moos mouth it sounds like Kelly wouldn’t be a good fit due to ethical/recruiting violation issues. Also, sounds like Riley won’t be fired during the season and an evaluation will occur at seasons end.

Riley's fate has already been determined. The move to getting the next coach will start soon. 

Moos played up 'culture' and 'fit' about as much as you possible could. He also brought up 'tradition' and 'history' a whole lot.

judging by that; I'd say Frost is in consideration because he has 'history' w/ NU and is familiar with Neb's culture...

However, Frost's offense doesn't really seem like the 'fit' that comes to mind when we think of the storied tradition of success in NU's history.

A 'downhill/attack' style defensive coach and/or a power-football/ball-control offensive mind will be hired if Moos was being 100% genuine during the presser. That would check off fit, culture, return to tradition & history.

Just now, mnhusker said:

I'm  supportive of frost but his lack of power 5 HC experience concens me a bit I would at least like to see how the rest of the season goes for him.

I understand your concern, but how many power 5 head coaches who are actually "successful" are in a place to leave their current school in favor of another? It just doesn't happen very often. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Red_Payne said:

Moos played up 'culture' and 'fit' about as much as you possible could. He also brought up 'tradition' and 'history' a whole lot.

judging by that; I'd say Frost is in consideration because he has 'history' w/ NU and is familiar with Neb's culture...

However, Frost's offense doesn't really seem like the 'fit' that comes to mind when we think of the storied tradition of success in NU's history.

A 'downhill/attack' style defensive coach and/or a power-football/ball-control offensive mind will be hired if Moos was being 100% genuine during the presser. That would check off fit, culture, return to tradition & history.

I wouldn't worry too much about Frost's offense. He's smart enough to do whatever it takes to succeed against RB team their playing against. He QB'ed in the WCO and the power run game (with a little spread option thrown in) in college, defended against NFL offenses as a pro, and has been both a DC and OC at the college level. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

True, but Eichorst went the cheap route with Riley and fans are already saying that $3.0M for Frost would be too much to pay for him. Again, you pay for the job, not the person you are hiring. 

$5M would not be too much to pay for Frost.  If we don’t pay it I guarantee another school like Tennessee will.  Heck Florida might pay it. 

1 minute ago, neepster said:

$5M would not be too much to pay for Frost.  If we don’t pay it I guarantee another school like Tennessee will.  Heck Florida might pay it. 

It would be a shame for NU to lose a head coach because they weren't willing to shell out the necessary cash to get them. The athletic department basically prints money, and the contract of the next coach shouldn't be an issue. 

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, unlfan said:

Exactly. There is a very, very small group of schools that have the ability to poach successful power 5 coaches away. Nebraska isn't one of them, which isn't a slight. 99% of schools are in this group.

Lets even look at the "blue bloods" of the college football world and their most recent hires:

Michigan - picked up Harbaugh after he was being shown the door at the NFL. Harbaugh being an alum is the only reason this happened. Clearly would not have happened if Harbaugh was in a secure position in the NFL.

Ohio State - hired Urban from the booth.

Alabama - hired Saban away after two mediocre seasons in NFL.

Oklahoma - hired a coordinator

Texas - hired a guy with 2 years of experience outside the Power 5

Notre Dame - hired a guy from outside the Power 5

USC - hired a coordinator

Florida State - hired a coordinator

Penn St. - hired a HC with 3 relatively successful years at SEC doormat

Almost nobody hires away other power 5 coaches with sustained success because, frankly, there just isn't that many of them.

LSU hired their defensive line coach after previously hiring Saban away from Michigan State and Miles from Oklahoma State. Georgia hired a defensive coordinator. Miami hired a coach that got fired from Georgia. Syracuse hired a coach from a MAC school. Virginia Tech hired a coach from Memphis. Virginia hired a coach from BYU. 

Every head coach moves up from the ranks of assistant or coordinator. You strike gold when you get the next stud that is moving up from assistant or coordinator. 

The reality is, even if you hire a coach from another P5 school that wins big, it is highly unlikely to happen twice in a row. 

Oklahoma hired a coordinator and again hired a coordinator. 

If a P5 coach gets poached soon, I suspect it will be the Iowa State head coach. 

Penn State hired their coach from Vandy after two 9 win seasons. Before that they were hiring guys from the NFL. 

Edited by jessica0
  • Plus1 1

Here is what I feel is going to happen if we don't move towards Frost.  Florida will come open, and with the ties that Frost already has with Florida in recruiting, this might be his destination job if we don't go after him.  Sounds like the natives are restless.  Could we fire this Riley guy already, and get our ducks in a row!

1 minute ago, Nebhawk said:

Here is what I feel is going to happen if we don't move towards Frost.  Florida will come open, and with the ties that Frost already has with Florida in recruiting, this might be his destination job if we don't go after him.  Sounds like the natives are restless.  Could we fire this Riley guy already, and get our ducks in a row!

I bet several people have already talked to him, former coaches and players, and they know if it's a possibility or not.
If not, everybody needs to move on. 

• Plus1 1