Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

1 hour ago, 4skers89 said:

I don't know what they called Georgia Southern's offense from 2013 but I could watch this all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwohXO5tadY

Contrast with Paul Johnson's system from this week vs Miami.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RdE2x3qQtcU

They're both flexbone systems, but notice how many more formations your video has than mine. Paul Johnson's offense is a base flexbone with two split receivers, two slots (A backs) and a fullback (B back). Sometimes those receivers are lined up in twins, sometimes a jumbo. That's pretty much it, though. He has a handful of core plays they run very well. It has a deceptive ability to throw the ball because you can use those slots much the same as any 2x2 team would.

I find it boring to watch because you're always seeing the same look. That's by design, of course. It's part of what makes it effective.

Edited by brophog
4 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I bet several people have already talked to him, former coaches and players, and they know if it's a possibility or not.
If not, everybody needs to move on. 

Yes, this is certainly a case where we should make back-channel contact and find-out where a potential candidate stands.  If he isn't interested wish him the best and  move-on. If yes then we know we have a very nice bird in the hand and Riley is gone barring a miraculous turnaround. We'd also have a standard by which to gauge other potential candidates. If Frost wants the job then anyone else we look at better be top-notch. 

The Navy coach deserves to be at a better place, IMO. Not because of his style offense but his players play hard for him. This is what Nebraska desperately needs. I don't see Frost coming here and I have a hard time seeing us land any current Power 5 coach. If I had it my way, I'd offer David Shaw $8 or $9 mil a year and a huge buyout. That guy can flat out coach. He always has a physical offensive line, old school I-Formation offense with play action. He is at his alma mater, sure but maybe money talks.

6 hours ago, Bad2theBONES said:

What are the chances we could throw a ridiculous number out at Jon Gruden and get him? Not too many people I could get excited about, but he would be one. I know this isn't realistic, but just for fun. 

Let's just stop.  Callahan 2.0.

Litterally no evidence that he could build a successful college program.  He's become an announcer that once was a football coach.

• Plus1 3
37 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Let's just stop.  Callahan 2.0.

Litterally no evidence that he could build a successful college program.  He's become an announcer that once was a football coach.

I agree. I don't get the love for Gruden. He hasn't coached in nearly 10 years, and he would want to stick with a pro-style offense which I don't think is a good fit for the college game. 

7 hours ago, skersfan said:

I would take Kyle Whittingham over all of them.  Stoops is not coming here to die.  He is concerned with health and family.  This place is far more stressful than Oklahoma.

But anyone thinking that Coach Osborne has not talked to Scott Frost has no idea of their relationship.   Not saying he has been offered or anything of the such.  But I would bet a years pay they have talked.'

I do not personally know Coach Frost, but do know he is very important to Coach Osborne.   Personally I think Coach Frost coming to Nebraska will fall mostly on Coach Osborne and his recommendation, not to Nebraska but Scott.  I am not sure he would tell him to come at this time.   

I hope TO told him something along the lines that "sure Nebraska is a high stress job with a demanding fan base, but there is no such thing as a job that pays $5 million per year that is not high stress. If you a coaching job at that salary, in addition to high stress, you will have demanding fans, numerous journalist second guessing every move you make, and thousands of knuckleheads on football bulletin boards complaining about every move you make."

I don't think the poor situation here worries Frost at all. If you are hired (not replacing a retired coach like Solich did)at a top school for $5+ million per year, then the previous coach got fired, fans are upset, and expectations are high. Any job Frost wants will be no different. Tennesse's fan base seems to want Frost. I don't the the pressure there will be any less. It may even be worse, because what the remember the most about Frost was the curb stomping he delivered in 1997, and the brash talk afterward.

7 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

My guess is that sufficient conversations have been had between the Frost camp and the University to know pretty well if Scott would be interested and what it would take to get him here if he is interested.  He's got a great thing going at UCF and would not jeopardize this year by letting anything out of the bag, even hints or suspicions at this point.  But the fear of "waiting till the last minute" are moot.  U.N.-L. already knows whether or not he's interested and if he is, they've done all they can to lock it up and not be johnny come lately to the Frost courting dance.

What are the rules about officially contacting Frost? Could Frost sign a contract with Nebraska next week, and the entire thing be kept a secret until the end of the year?

35 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I don't think college coaching is as "James Bondish" as you might be thinking.  

If NU is interested they will have a firm contact UCF to ask for permission...they will say "yes"...the firm will contact Frost's agent and it will go from there.

It would be "James Bondish" if half the former players and a former coach/AD didn't talk to him regularly....a little different than poaching a stranger. That doesn't mean the current admin is going that way though.

2 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

Sean Callahan says this morning on the radio that Scott Frost has told those close to him that he wants the Nebraska job. 

Can anyone confirm? Saw that on twitter. 

What's the character of this guy Callahan? Is he known to make things up to get attention?