Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

9 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

Pelini had 16 years of coaching experience after college before TO hired him.  

At the end of this season, Frost will have 13 years of coaching experience after college, plus 6 years of NFL playing experience.  

Thank you for that data, Isle of View. You're making a good point. 

Still, in all seriousness I want the proven veteran head coach over Frost.

Would I take Frost over Riley? Absolutely, yes. So if Frost is actually the best we can do I'll be happy to have him. I just don't think he's the best we can do, and 18 seasons without any conference titles is a long time. Time to turn it around as sensibly as we can.

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Thank you for that data, Isle of View. You're making a good point. 

Still, in all seriousness I want the proven veteran head coach over Frost.

Would I take Frost over Riley? Absolutely, yes. So if Frost is actually the best we can do I'll be happy to have him. I just don't think he's the best we can do, and 18 seasons without any conference titles is a long time. Time to turn it around as sensibly as we can.

Name us at least 3 names......that are realistic 'veteran' coaches  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

I have now named two coaches two different times on this page of this thread - David Shaw and Mark Dantonio.

Now name a third one since you would strike out on both of those. 

I can name two names too...Urban Meyer and Nick Saban. 

My top two are from UCF and Navy. 

• Plus1 2

27 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Eh, I don't really agree with that.

Bo's resume was coordinating good defenses with great or even elite talent.

Frost took an 0-12 team that recruits in the 60-70 range, and got them to a bowl in year 1, and now is ranked and murdering teams in year 2. They lead the country in margin of victory.

Let's put it this way. UCF beat Maryland, a Power 5 team, by 4 touchdowns.

Nebraska hasn't beaten a single Power 5 opponent by that kind of margin in 3 years (45-14 vs Illinois in September of 2015).

Saunders, you have not been listening to the new talk.  Sure Frost took over an 0-12 team BUT it was not REALLY an 0-12 team...it was more like a bowl team that just had some bad luck.

• Plus1 3
34 minutes ago, Undone said:

You're absolutely correct in terms of head coaching experience. And I am serious.

But Pelini had been around football as a coach (in any capacity) much longer than Frost. The two things are roughly a wash, IMO.

Again, Frost is not at the top of my list. A proven trophy-winning head coach is.

You can say we're too in love with Scott Frost because he's a hometown hero, but the guy has exactly the credentials to step into a major P5 head coaching position. That he's younger and comes in with more to prove only helps the situation. The two years he's putting together at UCF will have him on everyone's list, including every other school who can afford to throw money at a more "proven" Head Coach. You can make the case that Frost is a better bet at this point than his mentor, Chip Kelly, who has more years of success under his belt, but comes with baggage and questionable motives. 

Unless you're inking one of maybe a half-dozen proven coaches who have no reason to leave their current program,  you're going to have to take a calculated risk. Frost was riskier two years ago, not so much now. If we don't go with Frost, there are other guys with Frost-like resumes.

Edited by Guy Chamberlin
  • Plus1 1
Just now, jessica0 said:

Now name a third one since you would strike out on both of those. 

I can name two names too...Urban Meyer and Nick Saban. 

My top two are from UCF and Navy. 

We would "strike out" because they wouldn't leave their current gigs because we wouldn't offer them enough money, or we'd strike out because we don't have the funds to buy out their current contracts? Please answer that question.

I know who your choices are, as I'm relatively confident that I know who you are

Just now, teachercd said:

Saunders, you have not been listening to the new talk.  Sure Frost took over an 0-12 team BUT it was not REALLY an 0-12 team...it was more like a bowl team that just had some bad luck.

I'm one of those.  It just seems weird to have that kind of drop off.  I could see going from 9-4 to 4-8 or even 3-9.  But 0-12 just doesn't add up

3 hours ago, fire mike said:

Let me explain a bit more. The guy was super engaged/involved with the program, both past players and the staff at that time. He was showing me pictures of him with former players at their weddings, talking about their kids, etc. He was some real estate guy from Oregon and I really don't have any reason to believe otherwise. Sure, he could've been blowing smoke but I choose to be optimistic, the same way you've been overly optimistic in the recruiting forum for the last umpteen years. Hell, at this point all we have to hang our hat on is hope.

Most importantly he was the one that said he has heard numerous of those former players and others well connected with the staff mention that Frost would take the job if offered. Considered it his dream job.

Okay, much better explanation than "guy on plane ride said he is going to Nebraska in 2016"

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You can say we're too in love with Scott Frost because he's a hometown hero, but the guy has exactly the credentials to step into a major P5 head coaching position.

Agreed, and Rivals agrees as well. They put out an article this last week saying he's on the top of their list as the next up-and-comer to take over a Power 5 gig.

I will be happy with Frost, but I still maintain that in 20 years our program has not done this - We have not ponied up huge money to bring in a head coach of a Power 5 school that had won or consistently competed for conference titles in the last 5-8 years. To me, this seems like the very first thing that we'd do, but Osborne didn't want it that way when he had his two opportunities to name a new head coach (Solich and Pelini).