Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

I think NU should have Frost at the top of their list of coaching candidates.  The NC State head coach seems like an intriguing candidate, given his success at 2 schools, and Midwestern ties.  However, he hasn't torn up the ACC, until this year.  But, that's nit-picking at his resume.  Shaw is an interesting name, but I doubt he ever looks to leave Stanford, unless he goes for a NFL job if Stanford struggles for a year or two.

EDIT -- I think Moos will open up the checkbook for this hire.  He was brought in to fix the football program, and that's going to be what he's evaluated on for his tenure at NU.

Edited by ColoradoHusk

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

Ern - Nobody said $7M. Nobody in this thread has put any numbers up until you just did.

Dabo makes $5.3M.

The coaches some others have brought up would need a big increase in salary. They aren't coming over to Nebraska to make slightly more. Therefore, Frost makes the most sense in that regard as well as many other points brought up. 

1 minute ago, Saunders said:

Regardless of the NU ties, somebody is gonna take a run at Frost. He's 2017's "Tom Herman" hire.

Exactly right.  I have heard countless times "would we be interested if he wasn't from Nebraska?"  I think that answer should be a resounding YES.  He has a great resume, that lines up with many P5 coaches that have been hired recently.  The fact that he is a NU grad and knows what takes to succeed at a program like Nebraska is a BONUS.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

The coaches some others have brought up would need a big increase in salary. They aren't coming over to Nebraska to make slightly more. Therefore, Frost makes the most sense in that regard as well as many other points brought up. 

You make a good argument, Ern.

The upshot of bringing in Frost at a lower salary would be if we then have the budget to bring in some good coordinators. Doing that would also be very encouraging. 

Just now, BIG ERN said:

I think it comes down to other offers he will receive after the season. I think around $4M would do (doubles what he is making now). 

Yeah, but you know UCF will give Frost a big raise if he continues to have a great season this season, so I would put his baseline salary at UCF at around $3.0M per year.

If I were Frost and I know that NU fans are "desperate" to get me back to Lincoln, I would use that as leverage for an even higher base salary.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

What would you consider a lower salary for Frost?  I think he will command $3.5-5.0M per year.

Given that our expectations will be for Frost to essentially take us back to playing Top 10 football within 3 seasons, I'd consider "a lower salary" to be in teh $3.5M - $4.0M range. 

As of 2016's numbers, James Franklin and Kirk Ferentz made $4.5M-ish and were the 10th & 11th highest paid coaches last years, respectively.

So, with that as somewhat of a benchmark, what do you expect Frost to be paid?

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Given that our expectations will be for Frost to essentially take us back to playing Top 10 football within 3 seasons, I'd consider "a lower salary" to be in teh $3.5M - $4.0M range. 

As of 2016's numbers, James Franklin and Kirk Ferentz made $4.5M-ish and were the 10th & 11th highest paid coaches last years, respectively.

So, with that as somewhat of a benchmark, what do you expect Frost to be paid?

I think it starts at $4.0M and could go up to $4.5-$5.0M based on other schools pursuing him.

EDIT-I have also said this in other threads, you pay the salary for the job/position, not necessarily the man.  If the University wants to be in the top 10-15 programs nationally, I would expect the salary to match the expectations.

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 1

I think someone has already listed it in one of these endless threads, but pretty much every great coach was relatively "unproven" when he took the HC job at the team who made him famous.

Simply reaching for the checkbook can smack of desperation. I don't think Osborne was wrong to promote Solich from within, and Bo Pelini looked like a Scott Frost kind of hire -- with the emphasis on defense we really needed in 2007.  If you announce your intention to throw tons of money at consistent championship coaches, you have to be absolutely certain they consider Nebraska a step forward in their career. We'll never know for sure, but it's likely that UNL has made informal queries to some of these coaches or their agents over the years to avoid public rejection. And as somebody else mentioned, we can't feel too bad about it because they're in a position to reject pretty much everybody. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

EDIT-I have also said this in other threads, you pay the salary for the job/position, not necessarily the man.  If the University wants to be in the top 10-15 programs nationally, I would expect the salary to match the expectations.

I was waiting for someone to say this. Thank you. I totally agree. In yet, it's not the (completely unreasonable) trend that Osborne set us up for. 

If Frost is the guy to pay $4.0M+ per year, let's do it. He's the guy then. But look at what the teams who consistently play Top 10 football pay their coaches. You said it - You get what you pay for. Are we going to pony up the cash? 

Or, does our fan base just assume that Lincoln is sprinkled with fairy dust and Frost will just dash in here and be happy to be paid whatever we offer?

18 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Regardless of the NU ties, somebody is gonna take a run at Frost. He's 2017's "Tom Herman" hire.

Given this, it's going to be tough to not go after Frost right now. Whether that's the right move will remain to be seen. But even if Riley is kept -- which I'd like to see, as I'm quite partial to him -- every assistant who is able to is going to jump ship. Bray, for example, surely gone. Diaco? He'd be smart to try.

The die was cast when Eichorst was fired. The blow up of the operation is inevitable now. Billy Devaney, the whole crew. Hope Frost's ready. Hope we're ready for the fallout.

Edited by zoogs
Just now, zoogs said:

Given this, it's going to be tough to not go after Frost right now. Whether that's the right move will remain to be seen. But even if Riley is kept -- which I'd like to see, as I'm quite partial to him -- every assistant who is able to is going to jump ship. Bray, for example, surely gone. Diaco? He'd be smart to try.

The die was cast when Eichorst was fired. The blow up of the operation is inevitable now. Hope Frost's ready.

I'm pretty sure that decision will be made for them.  I think Frost would bring a lot of his current staff.  

• Plus1 2