Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

3 minutes ago, zoogs said:

The die was cast when Eichorst was fired. The blow up of the operation is inevitable now. Billy Devaney, the whole crew. Hope Frost's ready. Hope we're ready for the fallout.

zoogs, can you elaborate on what this fallout will be?

Alabama hired six coaches in 10 years prior to brining in Saban (or was it five prior to Saban - I'd have to check for sure). This really is the new reality of college football. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Isle of View said:

I'm pretty sure that decision will be made for them.  I think Frost would bring a lot of his current staff.  

Exactly.  About the only position coach that Frost (if it's him) would consider is Parrella (given his NU ties).  Even the guys known as "ace recruiters" haven't shown me much in terms of on-field coaching, so I wouldn't be heart broken to see them leave.  Usually, assistant coaches are tied to the head coaches, not the school.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Given this, it's going to be tough to not go after Frost right now. Whether that's the right move will remain to be seen. But even if Riley is kept -- which I'd like to see, as I'm quite partial to him -- every assistant who is able to is going to jump ship. Bray, for example, surely gone. Diaco? He'd be smart to try.

The die was cast when Eichorst was fired. The blow up of the operation is inevitable now. Billy Devaney, the whole crew. Hope Frost's ready. Hope we're ready for the fallout.

I mean, the reality is that the 2017 team is pretty dang bad, so maybe blowing it up ain't so bad.

• Plus1 3

@Undone, by fallout I mean how far we have to start over. There's going to be a new system. A lot of coaching turnover. A LOT of support system turnover -- you'd have to think Billy Devaney will move on since that was the Riley connection and Eichorst's idea to begin with. A lot of assistant turnover. Keyshawn won't be coming back. A lot of our best recruits are tied to KW and Riley's offensive system. Tanner...I don't know. Grad transfer? He's not likely to fit in what Frost wants to do. And Frost, while he has a bright future ahead of him, doesn't have as deep a pool of connections as Riley does. So we're going to bring in a bunch of UCF guys, probably, and let's see how well they can do recruiting. 

Maybe it's not bad, saunders, we'll just require a great deal of patience for Frost. I'm sure we'll have it, native son and all. The "it's been 20 years since the last conference title" talk should probably die down for a while.

1 minute ago, zoogs said:

Maybe it's not bad, saunders, we'll just require a great deal of patience for Frost. I'm sure we'll have it, native son and all. The "it's been 20 years since the last conference title" talk should probably die down for a while.

Are you familiar with Husker fans?  They haven't been patient with Solich, Callahan, Pelini and now Riley.  The talk about firing the last three guys started within the first two years they were hired, and within Solich's first three.  The voices grew louder each year until poof! they were gone. 

In the thread announcing the hiring of the new coach there will be much lamenting that we didn't hire __________ other guy, and we'll be reminded by those naysayers that we didn't hire the right guy each time the new coach loses a game.

• Plus1 3

@zoogs I don't think it's a bad thing when programs are completely blown up by a new coaching staff, especially given the new AD that has been brought in, as well.  One thing that Sam McKewon has stated that has been key in the Riley failure is that he didn't blow things up in year 1.  He was too nice, and trying to appease to the fans and the players, tried to stick with a lot of the existing roster and dual-threat QB system.  He delayed any long-term changes until year 3.  If he was going to make it work for him long-term, he should have done it year 1, thinned out the roster of guys right away, and gone with a huge recruiting class in his first full year of recruiting.  

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, zoogs said:

The difference is that Nebraska wasn't "broken" when Riley was brought it. The talk out of the AD was that he was brought in to tweak things, and that we had the talent to win.

Then 2015 happened, and "toxic" became a buzzword, and the rebuilding talk started. Maybe the kids just didn't buy in because what they were being taught sucked? I can't say that anything in the program has really improved other than appearances. Recruiting isn't substantially better (interest means nothing if you don't land them), and our players don't seem to be getting better, or are just flat out not playing well (Hello Lamar Jackson).

Now, whoever takes over is getting a soft team with a daunting 2018 schedule, so they're getting a mulligan out of the gate, which should help things.

• Plus1 4
11 minutes ago, Undone said:

zoogs, can you elaborate on what this fallout will be?

Alabama hired six coaches in 10 years prior to brining in Saban (or was it five prior to Saban - I'd have to check for sure). This really is the new reality of college football. 

Alabama had 10 HC's (Including interims) between Bear Bryant and Nick Saban

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Are you familiar with Husker fans?  They haven't been patient with Solich, Callahan, Pelini and now Riley.  The talk about firing the last three guys started within the first two years they were hired, and within Solich's first three.  The voices grew louder each year until poof! they were gone. 

In the thread announcing the hiring of the new coach there will be much lamenting that we didn't hire __________ other guy, and we'll be reminded by those naysayers that we didn't hire the right guy each time the new coach loses a game.

Eh, yes and no.

Callahan and Riley had those calls early because they had disastrous first seasons, and had huge regressions compared to their predecessor.

Bo's detractors really started around 2011-ish, and the 2012 B1G championship game when we got pantsed.

The key is the first 3 years. If whoever takes over has success in that timeframe, that's a very, very good indicator.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Saunders said:

The difference is that Nebraska wasn't "broken" when Riley was brought it. The talk out of the AD was that he was brought in to tweak things, and that we had the talent to win.

Then 2015 happened, and "toxic" became a buzzword, and the rebuilding talk started. Maybe the kids just didn't buy in because what they were being taught sucked? I can't say that anything in the program has really improved other than appearances. Recruiting isn't substantially better (interest means nothing if you don't land them), and our players don't seem to be getting better, or are just flat out not playing well (Hello Lamar Jackson).

Now, whoever takes over is getting a soft team with a daunting 2018 schedule, so they're getting a mulligan out of the gate, which should help things.

It was broken.  It just wasn't in shambles like 07 or potentially this year

• Plus1 1