Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Are you familiar with Husker fans?  They haven't been patient with Solich, Callahan, Pelini and now Riley.  The talk about firing the last three guys started within the first two years they were hired, and within Solich's first three.  The voices grew louder each year until poof! they were gone. 

In the thread announcing the hiring of the new coach there will be much lamenting that we didn't hire __________ other guy, and we'll be reminded by those naysayers that we didn't hire the right guy each time the new coach loses a game.

You're listing some very sound rhetorical descriptions of us all, yes. 

I think that the Riley hire was confusing in large part because of his age. How long would/should we be willing to give a guy that was 62 when his first game was played as head coach just to be competitive at winning the West division? It's a hard question to answer with a lot of specificity, but in my opinion it's not hard to ball park it.

Riley's downfall was bringing in his 'average to bad' assistants. And this is not overly critical or condescending of him; he has now fired his secondary coach, his defensive line coach, and his defensive coordinator, correct? He had to - They weren't coaches that could take your team into the Top 10. They weren't even coaches that could take your team into the Top 25!

Frost does make sense as the guy we'd *have to* be patient with.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Deveany needs to go, that position is pointless.  

New system, yes I get that but honestly like I have said over and over, it doesn't take that long to get a new system in if you are not trying to make it the most complex thing in the world.  

Recruits leaving...sure that will happen.

That was Riley throwing a good buddy of his a few thousand $ a year.

I think it would be funny if Moos brought Devaney into his office next week and asked him Office Space-style "What exactly do you do here?"

25 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Are you familiar with Husker fans?  They haven't been patient with Solich, Callahan, Pelini and now Riley.  The talk about firing the last three guys started within the first two years they were hired, and within Solich's first three.  The voices grew louder each year until poof! they were gone. 

In the thread announcing the hiring of the new coach there will be much lamenting that we didn't hire __________ other guy, and we'll be reminded by those naysayers that we didn't hire the right guy each time the new coach loses a game.

What can I say, I’m hopeful to the point of obstinacy.

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Man, we’ve really gone from “build a support staff like Alabama” to “Billy Devaney has a useless role” just to make Riley a total devil, eh.

Riley has taken strides to build the necessary support staff to a large extent. He's gotten the process rolling with the changes he's made on the defensive side of the ball. But his offensive line coach seems to have been a pretty big hindrance.

Would he have made more changes at the end of this season if we wind up going 6-6? Maybe. And maybe the university administration got wind of conversations he had with Eichorst over the last few months in which Riley made it clear that he would not.

Those are the types of things that get an AD and head coach fired. Pure speculation on my part, pure speculation. But Riley has a long ways to go before his supporting cast is developing talent to the extent that we're able to compete even just with Wisconsin and Iowa. How long would we have given him to make these changes at 64?

Edited by Undone