Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I actually think Devaney was a great hire.  I really believe that it was Devaney that finally convinced Riley to fire Banker.  Doesn't make much sense that Riley did it on his own the way it happened.  Devaney probably had a hand in getting rid of Reed to.

So basically I think it took Devaney to finally get Riley to do what he should have been doing on his own but couldn't/wouldn't.  I think there's a spot for a position like that, no matter who the coach is.  Just didn't get things to happen fast enough and the changes that were made haven't improved anything.

But the fans already have the job of telling the HC what to do!

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Saunders said:

I don't know if it's that far, but I do question our ROI on some of these guys.

Our ROI on our DC would put us in Chapter 11 - or should I say Chapter 7

But to your point, our DC had a reputation built on one primary year at ND - which was also built around one great linebacker - kind of how our 2009 D was built on and succeed with SUH.

1 hour ago, Redux said:

My source guy is pretty high on him.  But he's also been pretty high on the staff as a whole overall.  Has had nothing but good things to say about he and Parella both .

I wonder if Parella would be held over by the new HC if that is SF or will he take the blame wt the DC for our poor D.  It seems like he got the line fired up and improved but it is kind of to tell overall due to the D line play getting mired in the overall D play.  Pass rush hasn't been what I expected but I expected the 3-4 to be more of the attacking version (which I believe SF's DC runs).  So the lack of pass rush may be tied to the overall bend and break (yes I said break intentionally:o) scheme. 

Edited by TGHusker
5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I wonder if Parella would be held over by the new HC if that is SF or will he take the blame wt the DC for our poor D.  It seems like he got the line fired up and improved but it is kind of to tell overall due to the D line play getting mired in the overall D play.  Pass rush hasn't been what I expected but I expected the 3-4 to be more of the attacking version (which I believe SF's DC runs).  So the lack of pass rush may be tied to the overall bend and break (yes I said break intentionally:o) scheme. 

Parrella is being told to coach the DL the way the DC wants them to be coached.  In Diaco's 3-4, the D-line isn't expected to make many plays.  It's expected to take on blockers, and create seams for the LB's to come in and make plays.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Parrella is being told to coach the DL the way the DC wants them to be coached.  In Diaco's 3-4, the D-line isn't expected to make many plays.  It's expected to take on blockers, and create seams for the LB's to come in and make plays.

Yes, I when I heard that concept - I expect much more in blitz packages involving our linebackers or corners or a safety.  I remember Bo's year as our DC and he had D Williams constantly blitzing from outside linebacker spot.  He was hard to stop. Unfortunately we don't have a LB wt that speed and ability now. 

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, I when I heard that concept - I expect much more in blitz packages involving our linebackers or corners or a safety.  I remember Bo's year as our DC and he had D Williams constantly blitzing from outside linebacker spot.  He was hard to stop. Unfortunately we don't have a LB wt that speed and ability now. 

This is just my guessing, but I think Diaco doesn't like to blitz because 1) it can create big plays for the opposing offense and 2) he's not confident with the secondary that NU currently has.

That's just a guess, but Bo's D from 2003 had future NFL guys in the secondary (Bullocks twins and Fabian Washington).  That enabled Demorrio Williams (another future NFL player) to be used on a variety of pass rushing areas.

• Plus1 1