Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

After thinking and reading a bunch of responses the last few hours. I'm convinced (although unfounded) that the timing of the firing of SE is completely due to Scott Frost having a great start, and becoming the next hot name for a P5 offer.

Bounds/Green probably went up to SE and said "look, here's the deal, you are going to contact UCF and Frost...and give him this offer." 

Shawn said No and so they canned him. They hire Moos and in the interview said the exact same thing. You want this job, you're going to go get Scott Frost for us. He said "ok, easy enough" and now here we are waiting for 5 weeks till the announcement of MR being fired, and another month+ for the announcement that Frost is our guy (if UCF gets to a new years six bowl)

There's literally no one else. This was the plan from the get go, because the window is getting small on Frost. Had to go get him this year, even if they wanted to wait for another year. 

26 minutes ago, Coach Power'T said:

After thinking and reading a bunch of responses the last few hours. I'm convinced (although unfounded) that the timing of the firing of SE is completely due to Scott Frost having a great start, and becoming the next hot name for a P5 offer.

Bounds/Green probably went up to SE and said "look, here's the deal, you are going to contact UCF and Frost...and give him this offer." 

Shawn said No and so they canned him. They hire Moos and in the interview said the exact same thing. You want this job, you're going to go get Scott Frost for us. He said "ok, easy enough" and now here we are waiting for 5 weeks till the announcement of MR being fired, and another month+ for the announcement that Frost is our guy (if UCF gets to a new years six bowl)

There's literally no one else. This was the plan from the get go, because the window is getting small on Frost. Had to go get him this year, even if they wanted to wait for another year. 

They won’t wait until after the New Year to hire Frost. They will have Frost (or any other coach) hired as soon as they can, and have that new coach come aboard to start recruiting, especially with the early signing period now available in December. 

While I'd love to see Chip Kelly stroll through the doors at Nebraska, I'm not sure how doable it is.  Kelly is still owed $19ish mm from his NFL stints so he's making around $6.5mm/yr through 2019.  That's some decent scratch.  Surprisingly his contract with ESPN states that any money he makes gets deducted from what SF owes him.  Plus there's the issue of his show cause penalty.

9 hours ago, knapplc said:

Are you familiar with Husker fans?  In the thread announcing the hiring of the new coach there will be much lamenting that we didn't hire __________ other guy, and we'll be reminded by those naysayers that we didn't hire the right guy each time the new coach loses a game.

I'ma go out on a limb and say there won't be as many of those posts if we don't hire another .500 coach.

11 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

You have an unhealthy attachment to this whole thing

Are you familiar with Husker fans?

11 hours ago, Undone said:

I would take Chip Kelly over Frost, 11 times out of 10.

TBH, I'd probably take Frost just because the potential for him being a long-term coach here is much higher.

9 hours ago, Saunders said:

The key is the first 3 years. If whoever takes over has success in that timeframe, that's a very, very good indicator.

Callahan took us to a conference championship game in year 3...

9 hours ago, Undone said:

Riley's downfall was bringing in his 'average to bad' assistants. And this is not overly critical or condescending of him; he has now fired his secondary coach, his defensive line coach, and his defensive coordinator, correct?

Don't forget his 'special' teams coordinator.

Edited by Toe
  • Plus1 1
10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think NU should have Frost at the top of their list of coaching candidates.  The NC State head coach seems like an intriguing candidate, given his success at 2 schools, and Midwestern ties.  However, he hasn't torn up the ACC, until this year.  But, that's nit-picking at his resume.  Shaw is an interesting name, but I doubt he ever looks to leave Stanford, unless he goes for a NFL job if Stanford struggles for a year or two.

EDIT -- I think Moos will open up the checkbook for this hire.  He was brought in to fix the football program, and that's going to be what he's evaluated on for his tenure at NU.

NC State beats Clemson last year if they have a competent field goal kicker.

The show cause has been over quite awhile.  Oregon was using an outside source to recruit.  The story is not easy to track, but he is under no restrictions from the NCAA.  But according to Coach Kelly he has not been contacted by any college programs since he departed the Eagles.  You would think there is more to the story for that to happen.  But I am not really interested in knowing anymore about it.  I think he and Oregon walked on it, and I really don't want Nebraska involved with him.  

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Coach Power'T said:

I don't see it. Frost should obviously be a top candidate but I don' t buy that SE was canned because of him. SE was handpicked by Perlman to pursue his agenda, if it meant saving his own ass SE would pursue a new agenda in a heartbeat. IMO they canned Eichorst because of all the stupid crap he'd done and they didn't trust him to fire Riley and make a good hire. Since SE was canned Frost has notched some nice wins and made himself the hottest up-and-comer out there. I'm sure he was the subject of extensive discussion in the Moos talks. 

• Plus1 1