Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

14 minutes ago, FTW said:

So a back injury started your arm chair coaching career? Nice. Lucky I have free time today otherwise I'd surf HB all day long like you :snacks:

Keeping your back healthy is no laughing matter.  Same with keeping down your cholesterol, don't be so salty.

chuckleshuffle

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, FTW said:

I'd put a lot more stock into Jim Walden's comments than anyone here. He probably knows a thing or two but per the article SF has to decide on UCF or NEB, smart aleck.

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-assistant-bill-moos-hire-not-good-for-mike-riley

If he knew a thing or two, the article wouldn't have to try to convince you he knew a thing or two. That's the easiest way to filter out these kinds of 3rd party "source" articles. A lot of time establishing connections, zero time showing Jim in the actual process. 

• Plus1 3

Having watched Chip Kelly coach the talent-deprived San Francisco 49ers  last year, I'm not sure we should treat him as a savior, and visions of Oregon 2.0 aren't going to happen overnight -- that's assuming Husker fans prefer speed, multiplicity and gambling over the power running game.

I think Kelly was a game-changing coach in his day, but he was resigned and far from inspirational with the Niners, and left plenty of bad blood in Philly. He was not able to coach up the talent or devise a better scheme than the coach he replaced.

Returning to college might give Chip Kelly some kind of spark, but he'd be likely to treat Nebraska HC as a job rather than a career. He's a big name, maybe even a splash hire, but he seems like damaged goods to me, and already tired of the circus. I'd like someone a little hungrier. 

• Plus1 6

2 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

I’m intrigued by Montgomery from Tulsa. He’s smart, up and coming, adaptable, and learned from Briles. The smashmouth parts of his offense would be refreshing.

I like him and Wilson from UTSA.  I also like Jason Candle from Toledo. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, unlfan said:

Barring some sort of miracle hire (Chip Kelly, for example), it’s getting to the point where Moos’ only real option is to fire MR and hire Frost. Any other course of action, the fan base would have very limited patience.

The Frost train is really picking up steam (locally and nationally). I fear that any other hire would automatically be a disappointment and the next guy would have 2 years max to turn it around before the fans revolt. Especially troubling considering 2018 schedule.

It would also be a total disaster if Frost turns it down and succeeds elsewhere. The kind of punch in the face that may be very, very difficult to recover from.

You're probably right. And the notion that there's only one acceptable coach for the University of Nebraska doesn't exactly help our reputation. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Having watched Chip Kelly coach the talent-deprived San Francisco 49ers  last year, I'm not sure we should treat him as a savior, and visions of Oregon 2.0 aren't going to happen overnight -- that's assuming Husker fans prefer speed, multiplicity and gambling over the power running game.

I think Kelly was a game-changing coach in his day, but he was resigned and far from inspirational with the Niners, and left plenty of bad blood in Philly. He was not able to coach up the talent or devise a better scheme than the coach he replaced.

Returning to college might give Chip Kelly some kind of spark, but he'd be likely to treat Nebraska HC as a job rather than a career. He's a big name, maybe even a splash hire, but he seems like damaged goods to me, and already tired of the circus. I'd like someone a little hungrier. 

I'd agree, plus add, I'd prefer somebody who operates quite differently. While his offense with Oregon was fun to watch from the outside, it's not exactly Nebraska ball and is too reliant on the types of guys we typically have trouble recruiting here. I hope to hell it isn't Kelly. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

I'd agree, plus add, I'd prefer somebody who operates quite differently. While his offense with Oregon was fun to watch from the outside, it's not exactly Nebraska ball and is too reliant on the types of guys we typically have trouble recruiting here. I hope to hell it isn't Kelly. 

I mean this genuinely: Can someone list out the nuances between the offense that Frost helped to coach when he was at Oregon and what Frost does now?

One poster had mentioned in another thread that there was less zone blocking and more lineman pulling when run blocking.

Anything else?

• Plus1 2