Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

1 minute ago, Undone said:

I mean this genuinely: Can someone list out the nuances between the offense that Frost helped to coach when he was at Oregon and what Frost does now?

One poster had mentioned in another thread that there was less zone blocking and more lineman pulling when run blocking.

Anything else?

I don't believe it's so much changes to the offense as it is changes in personnel.  Different personnel and different strengths in different areas cause them to adjust the focus of game planning and play calling.

Just now, Isle of View said:

I don't believe it's so much changes to the offense as it is changes in personnel.  Different personnel and different strengths in different areas cause them to adjust the focus of game planning and play calling.

That is terribly vague, but I do appreciate your input. 

It's just interesting because @El Diaco said:

While [Chip Kelly's] offense with Oregon was fun to watch from the outside, it's not exactly Nebraska ball and is too reliant on the types of guys we typically have trouble recruiting here. I hope to hell it isn't Kelly. 

I watch highlights of UCF games, and I see a very similar offense. I was told profusely in a different thread that there are many, many differences. I'd like to hear what they are.

8 minutes ago, Undone said:

I watch highlights of UCF games, and I see a very similar offense. I was told profusely in a different thread that there are many, many differences. I'd like to hear what they are.

I would like to hear them, too, because I don't think there are major fundamental differences in the offense, just how it's ran year to year.  It's a very flexible offense that can easily be adjusted to your personnel.  

On 10/17/2017 at 9:55 AM, FTW said:

Given Moos' track record I am going to say there are at least three guys on his shortlist: Les Miles, Chip Kelly, Scott Frost. The last one because he's probably heard his name from someone within the University or maybe because he's a football guy he already knows who he is and the connection to Oregon.

Damn that Les Miles idea right to hell... I don't get the appeal. There's 100 coaches that would do better at Nebraska than Les...

• Plus1 2

14 hours ago, Danimal said:

they didn't trust him to fire Riley and make a good hire.

Not to derail the thread, but speaking of trusting Eichorst to fire someone, I wonder how Bounds and Green feel about SE keeping Miles around?

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, Undone said:

And that is why I am not sold on Frost or near as giddy as many hereabouts are. I don't think it's an offense built for success at Nebraska. The only reason I do not want Kelly but could possibly live with Frost is because he's a former Nebraska player and I think he might bring the right mindset to the team. But there are a handful of others that I think may be better choices.

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Any thoughts on Willie Fritz at Tulane? 

I just feel like he wouldn't have the name recognition to pull in recruiting classes that are at least better than Bo & Riley's were.

If we want to play Top 10 football, our coaching has to be exceptional if we're going to be in that #20-#30 range of recruiting classes. And I think our fan base still by and large doesn't quite understand this. There's either some kind of resignation that we won't have top 10 recruiting classes because "it's not the Nebraska way" or because Bo & Riley weren't able to do we just assume the next guy can't. 

What I'm perceiving is that there are a lot of people that believe that Frost has that coaching fairy dust to take the recruiting classes we normally expect to get and turn the final product into a Top 10 team. I'm sorry, I just don't see it.

In a scenario where it's Frost or Riley, I want Frost. Absolutely, with no question. But we need much, much better recruiting classes to win titles. I don't feel like our fan base concedes this, but it seems so obvious. And of course...maybe Frost gets those top 15 classes. Maybe. Just doesn't seem likely to me.

If we didn't get Frost for whatever reason, I wouldn't mind them going after Brent Venables. I think he at the very least would be Pelini, but with class and personality (I believe his ceiling is much higher than that though). He is young, energetic, has mid-west ties, has coached and played under Bill Snyder, coached under Dabo and Stoops as well. People drooling over Frost playing scout team QB, Venables did that too. I think we would give him a large asst pool, and I believe he would be able to poach a couple of coaches from Clemson.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

If we didn't get Frost for whatever reason, I wouldn't mind them going after Brent Venables. I think he at the very least would be Pelini, but with class and personality (I believe his ceiling is much higher than that though). He is young, energetic, has mid-west ties, has coached and played under Bill Snyder, coached under Dabo and Stoops as well. People drooling over Frost playing scout team QB, Venables did that too. I think we would give him a large asst pool, and I believe he would be able to poach a couple of coaches from Clemson.

+1, good post. I would also take Frost over Venables but could see Venables being a great fit for us.

I'd be curious to know what style of offense he'd run and I don't think there's be any real way to know. 

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Damn that Les Miles idea right to hell... I don't get the appeal. There's 100 coaches that would do better at Nebraska than Les...

Oh, I agree, I wouldn't want him near the program. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten a job with his pal Saban yet. I'm hoping Riley ends up there too but I doubt it.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

I mean this genuinely: Can someone list out the nuances between the offense that Frost helped to coach when he was at Oregon and what Frost does now?

One poster had mentioned in another thread that there was less zone blocking and more lineman pulling when run blocking.

Anything else?

Same offense but more hat on hat focus so they can be more physical. All of the 3 back sets, triple option, play action out of the triple option, bubble screens, seam passes, inside zones, etc, are all the same offense. He doesn't go anywhere near as fast at UCF as he did at Oregon. 

I have the full transcript from Todd's discussion earlier today. That entire discussion is just the best hot take that they can get for viewership. Zero legit thought into any of it....

Todd did NOT say Scott Frost wouldn't go to Nebraska. 

ESPN's Todd McShay was on Ryan Russillo's with Will Cain today and the topic of all the P5 job openings the will probably occur this off-season and then McShay discussed what Frost shoukd do and why.

Transcript:

McShay: "Nebraska is another one (talking about 15 plus possible/probably P5 job openings).

Will Cain: "Are there enough hot coaching prospects to fill that kind of vacancy (long list of P5 probable job openings)?"

McShay: "Never are."

Cain: "Who is #1 this year? Who is the Tom Herman this year?"

McShay: "Chip Kelly. He's got to be, right."

Russillo: "Right now if you ask any fan base...:"

McShay: (interrupts Russillo): "Scott Frost is another big name I think for what he is doing already."

Russillo: "At UCF...So Frost is the Nebraska thing people are throwing out there because Nebraska can only hire people....

McShay: (interrupts Russillo and while almost gasping says): "I'd rather be at UCF"

Russillo: "You would rather be at UCF?"

McShay: "I would rather....

Russillo: "Oh set the alarms..."

Cain: "Oh hot take!"

McShay: "There is sooo much talent at UCF, in that area, in that Florida area. The
expectations are lower. You got a school that is really yearning to be good and to move into a bigger conference. To me, that is a place to build and make it yours. That could become Scott Frost. Scott Frost did this to UCF like Frank Beamer did to Va Tech."

Cain: "But its Nebraska..."

McShay: "Ok...Where is my talent coming from? Who wants to come here? How do I get players here?"

Cain: "Is this a Big 10 vs Big 8 thing?"

McShay: "Its hard to recruit there."

(Then they talk about Leach)

Cain: "If Chip Kelly...then your drop down is Scott Frost and I'm not saying anything about Scott Frost (Russillo notes Frost was on Kelly's staff)...you just named 9 P5 programs a minute ago, Mike Leach will be at a big time program at this rate...there are not just enough names...or Chad Morris at SMU or someone else is gonna make a lot of money...how great would it be to be 35 years old and cash in."

McShay: "The Tom Herman's, Scott Frost's. Schools are smart when they take a little bit of a chance on a young guy who connects with the players, can recruit, has the energy, has proven they can get it done offensively but they are not just about a scheme. They're about running the program and recruiting. It's tough...I see these coaches year-round on their phones texting, social media and it never ends."

Russillo: "Most of them hate it by the way..."

McShay: "Would you like it? You are catering to 17-18 yr olds..."

Russillo: (Throws out some funny young hip lingo reference)

McShay: "I am 40 and I don't know what that means...."

Segment ends.

12 hours ago, FTW said:

According to Jim Walden, it's down to Frost or Kelly :dunno

How many so-called experts got our AD hire even remotely close to being right?  No one.  I think because of the strong booster influence, you know that this question was proposed before we hired Moos, Frost has to be the main target.  I think this is a no brainer for all involved.  Chances are less than 10% Frost says no.  Thats my take, just from listening to boosters, grapevines, and other sources on local talk radio.