Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

1 minute ago, El Diaco said:

Well, we can probably all mostly agree that offense wins games and defense wins championships.

I don't want to comment too much on Frost's style of offense be a use I am not familiar with his particular brand. But if it's anything like Chip Kellys Oregon O, I just don't see us pulling in the speed and elite talent required. Regardless what style, I believe we have to have stellar line play. If that's what Frost is about then you won't get many complaints from me.

I understand your concern about Frost maybe being "too similar" to Chip Kelly in terms of offense system.  However, I think Frost is his own coach, and will be able to mold his offensive beliefs to his roster, his opponents, and other factors.  I think Frost would be smart enough to say that he would say that he couldn't run the same thing at Oregon, UCF, or Nebraska.  They are 3 different schools, in 3 different conferences, with 3 different pools of available talent.

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

It would be if he wasn't strong arming his son into the position. Kinda reminds me of someone who used to coach here with one of his assistants. 

Hard pass on Doeren. 

Not stating this is my 'list'. Just that those coaches will be hearing from other schools 

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

Well, we can probably all mostly agree that offense wins games and defense wins championships.

I don't want to comment too much on Frost's style of offense be a use I am not familiar with his particular brand. But if it's anything like Chip Kellys Oregon O, I just don't see us pulling in the speed and elite talent required. Regardless what style, I believe we have to have stellar line play. If that's what Frost is about then you won't get many complaints from me.

Having elite talent and needing elite talent are not the same thing.  

Oregon did have some elite skill guys.  But I don't think their overall team talent was out of line for what we can get here.  Their best run was from 2009-2012.  Their class recruiting ranks from 2007-2011 were 14, 34, 30, 12 and 12. Average of 20.4.  As I've often speculated, recruiting gets more successful after you have good success, not before.  Nebraska's over the same time-frame were 19, 24, 40, 26 and 16 for an average of 25. 

So it's not at all unreasonable to get to the recruiting level that brought them a ton of success.

2 hours ago, theknife said:

Bryan Harsin at Boise St with only $1 million in salary seems like a 1A option if Frost passes. 

I would take Bohl at wyoming before harsin. Bohl inherited nothing at wyoming and had them in the conference title game in year 3. Harsin took over a good situation at BSU and ASU. So his quality as a coach is unknown imo

2 hours ago, jessica0 said:

That system continuously won 9 games or more a season and won the division and got to the conference title game. 

Better teaching and coaching of the system is good enough to win a conference title. 

The pro style has never won crap at Nebraska for a reason - it takes elite talent to win at it. That is why WI will never win a national title running the system they run, they don't have enough elite talent. Their coaching is fine, but they don't have the jimmies and joes to take down a Bama or three high level wins in a row (conference title game and two playoff games). 

In this day and age a lot of the concepts of the old day option are run out of the shotgun. Out of the top 21 rushing teams in the country, 5 are option teams. 

Can i assume that the 21st team is option and the 22nd isn't?

56 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Having elite talent and needing elite talent are not the same thing.  

Oregon did have some elite skill guys.  But I don't think their overall team talent was out of line for what we can get here.  Their best run was from 2009-2012.  Their class recruiting ranks from 2007-2011 were 14, 34, 30, 12 and 12. Average of 20.4.  As I've often speculated, recruiting gets more successful after you have good success, not before.  Nebraska's over the same time-frame were 19, 24, 40, 26 and 16 for an average of 25. 

So it's not at all unreasonable to get to the recruiting level that brought them a ton of success.

Maybe it's a mirage or way more dependant on how you use them and how well you coach them up but none of our teams have seemed as skilled or fast as those Oregon teams. The more I learn about these recruiting rankings the more completely useless they seem to be. I'll believe when I actually see it on Tom Osborne field. And yes I understand how success breeds success but I just haven't seen that level of player performance in the last 20.

On 10/18/2017 at 1:06 PM, tfree32 said:

I’m intrigued by Montgomery from Tulsa. He’s smart, up and coming, adaptable, and learned from Briles. The smashmouth parts of his offense would be refreshing.

Living here in Tulsa and having both sons graduating Tulsa, I watch that program closely.  He is having a down year this year (new QB, lost many to graduation- causing the D to be less experienced), but he turned around the program in an almost mirror image of how SF turned UCF around.  The team is fun to watch - they can hit you with the passing game or solid running.  They were a 3 TD under dog to Houston last week and ended up winning by 4 TDs. He is respected by his players and the local press seem to like him as well - so he isn't a jerk.  Typically is a pretty positive guy.  I expect them to be in the hunt again.  Unfortunately they don't play UCF this year (same conf - diff division) I was hoping to see Scott's team in person.   Montgomery will be a P5 coach soon.  Tulsa has been a stepping stone for so many good coaches in the past and he will be the next one (true of Basketball also).

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I understand your concern about Frost maybe being "too similar" to Chip Kelly in terms of offense system.  However, I think Frost is his own coach, and will be able to mold his offensive beliefs to his roster, his opponents, and other factors.  I think Frost would be smart enough to say that he would say that he couldn't run the same thing at Oregon, UCF, or Nebraska.  They are 3 different schools, in 3 different conferences, with 3 different pools of available talent.

i think that is what makes a good coach.......too many times guys come in and want to run their system from the start, but don't have the players to make it work.

some force the issues and the results are poor, especially for the first 2-3 years.......that can get you run off on quickly or on the hot seat....

to transition to your scheme is important to have some immediate success..........in Riley's case, he is all over the map, he brings no identity to aspire to or subscribe to......you need a core concept IMHO.

Edited by Hunter94
  • Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Living here in Tulsa and having both sons graduating Tulsa, I watch that program closely.  He is having a down year this year (new QB, lost many to graduation- causing the D to be less experienced), but he turned around the program in an almost mirror image of how SF turned UCF around.  The team is fun to watch - they can hit you with the passing game or solid running.  They were a 3 TD under dog to Houston last week and ended up winning by 4 TDs. He is respected by his players and the local press seem to like him as well - so he isn't a jerk.  Typically is a pretty positive guy.  I expect them to be in the hunt again.  Unfortunately they don't play UCF this year (same conf - diff division) I was hoping to see Scott's team in person.   Montgomery will be a P5 coach soon.  Tulsa has been a stepping stone for so many good coaches in the past and he will be the next one (true of Basketball also).

Could Tulsa and UCF meet in a conference championship game?