Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

1 hour ago, Rike Miley said:

Just curious as to what facts make you think this besides having a gut feeling?  We have a harder schedule and this staff is a career .500 staff.  I like MR also.  Think hes a good guy, and I will be sad when he is let go because people like him deserve to go out on top.  But for the betterment of Nebraska football he needs to go.

We'll be in year two of the defense; we'll have depth along the o-line; and we'll return all of our RBs. Not to mention the West is a conference we can consistently compete for.

Everyone knows his past record, but the current Oregon State situation shows me that he did what had to do (e.g. keeping the assistants he did) to keep that program alive. I truly believe he is just beginning to tap into the resources here, and I think given more time, if he survives, he'll learn and adapt. Just my opinion.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

We'll be in year two of the defense; we'll have depth along the o-line; and we'll return all of our RBs. Not to mention the West is a conference we can consistently compete for.

Everyone knows his past record, but the current Oregon State situation shows me that he did what had to do (e.g. keeping the assistants he did) to keep that program alive. I truly believe he is just beginning to tap into the resources here, and I think given more time, if he survives, he'll learn and adapt. Just my opinion.

So, the o-line has more depth, but the o-line coach still sucks. The RB’s return, but he OC doesn’t want to use RB’s except to make sure they can block for the QB. Yes, the West is pretty crappy, but NU has become one of the crappy teams in the West. Riley is basically doing at NU, what he did the last 5 years at Oregon State. I understand he was pretty good from 2006-2009, but that’s when he peaked. Teams and coaches figured him out, and he has been Mediocre Mike for nearly a decade. 

• Plus1 6

Also, is this where we start kidding ourselves all over again?

Do those of us with long Big 8 memories simply assume any coach would consider Nebraska a major step up from Iowa State?  

If you're thrilling a long-suffering fanbase at a Power 5 school, what makes the Nebraska situation more attractive?

Just the paycheck? And are we also assuming Iowa State could never match it? 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Also, is this where we start kidding ourselves all over again?

Do those of us with long Big 8 memories simply assume any coach would consider Nebraska a major step up from Iowa State?  

If you're thrilling a long-suffering fanbase at a Power 5 school, what makes the Nebraska situation more attractive?

Just the paycheck? And are we also assuming Iowa State could never match it? 

I don't understand the "just the paycheck" mentality. Since when does money not talk, in any industry?

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

I don't understand the "just the paycheck" mentality. Since when does money not talk, in any industry?

It was more a question of

"if money were no object, what makes the Nebraska position more desirable?"

then

"If money IS an object, how much would it take?" 

then

"Are we assuming Nebraska can still outbid Iowa State?"

43 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It was more a question of

"if money were no object, what makes the Nebraska position more desirable?"

then

"If money IS an object, how much would it take?" 

then

"Are we assuming Nebraska can still outbid Iowa State?"

Many reasons- while Iowa State is in the top 25, the masses still don't know about this guy because Iowa State has never been relevant in college football.  They will always be second fiddle in that state to Iowa, football wise.  Despite the fact we've sucked wind the past 15 years, don't let that fool you into thinking that coaches don't consider Nebraska to be an iconic school football wise.  Urban Meyer said as much on national tv pre game interview prior to the butt kicking he delivered us.  Prestige Neb>ISU in a land slide

Then consider the fact that in all liklihood the big 12, as we know it, is probably done by 2020 and Iowa State isn't exactly that glamour school (that I know of), its in his best interest to land a gig at a more prestigious and stable conference situation.  

He clearly has the ability to put together a competent squad, despite these so called recruiting disadvantages, and has done so in a region that Nebraska falls in.  If I'm a coach and 

I can move up to a more prestigious school (higher expectations but way higher glory)- vastly superior resources yet do it in a region I've proven success in, thats going to attractive to anyone looking to take that next step before you even consider that we can open the pocket books in ways ISU simply cannot.

Edited by gossamorharpy
4 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Other than money, a lot of coaches are realizing the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Perhaps Campbell sees ISU as an opportunity to really build something within the Big 12.  

Just a thought

My guess is that Campbell sees ISU as an opportunity to vault him to a much better gig than Nebraska.  If Campbell can win at Iowa State, he'll have the USC's, UCLA's, etc. coming after him.