Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

13 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I've always heard it pronounced as "Moose."  Not that it's correct, but the folks around here called him "Moose."  

Let's get real.  Why would a top coach come to UNL?  The expectations are not realistic.  The recruiting base in crap.  Ahman Green and Eric Crouch are not coming through those doors.  Nebraska high school football does not produce like it once did.  Our 500 mile radius hasn't been good lately either.  

Money?  We don't pay nearly as much as other schools so don't mention money.  Look at Riley's salary and then look where it ranks in the country.  People like to talk about money, but Nebraska didn't pay until Diaco this year.  And that's been a disaster.  

Why would David Shaw give up California recruiting?  Chip Kelly recruited GREAT.  So much so Oregon was sanctioned by the NCAA.  That's why Chip ran for the NFL.  Does anybody else remember the coaching search that yielded us Pelini?  People didn't want to come here then.  My guess is less so now.    

Riley is right.  This is a four or five year rebuild.  But without Riley.  And there is no way we go back to being the old Nebraska.  Other schools have caught up, and again, we don't get the kids we need to consistently be contenders for the national championship.  The pipeline is gone. 

I'm nominating you for Guinness 'Most Depressing Guy In the World'. A good coach attracts and develops good players. It's contagious.

• Plus1 7
2 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

That would be nice, but there are a lot of negative to this job.  I think we're looking at an up and comer instead of a big name coach.  After all, we haven't hired a big name coach since Osborne retired.  

Are you Tim Beck or the other guy that we stopped talking about around here?

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Hayseed said:

I'm nominating you for Guinness 'Most Depressing Guy In the World'. A good coach attracts and develops good players. It's contagious.

haha.  I am one of the least depressed Nebraska fans on this board because I don't have crazy expectations.  So I guess it's how you look at things.  

A good coach does attract good players.  But most good coaches also have a good recruiting base.  

42 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Besides Frost......Bohl, Mullen, Fisher, .....oh yeah, realistic.......not Fisher. I'm pretty confident it won't be a cheater who bribes recruits with shoe contract payments.

I would take Bohl as a backup to Frost if he didn't decide to come here but my bet is he will.

• Plus1 1
Just now, GBRFAN said:

Are you Tim Beck or the other guy that we stopped talking about around here?

I am being realistic which is why I didn't need to respond to the "which Riley loss hurt the most" thread.  The losses haven't hurt in years because, sadly, I am used to them.  I've been a fan since 1981 and lived through the entire down trend of the program.  

2 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

I've had Frost as my avatar picture for this website since Pelini was fired and before Riley was hired. Frost is the guy I want leading Nebraska and if Nebraska has to pay 5+ million to get him, I hope to God they pay.

Prepare yourself for disappointment.

1 minute ago, southernoregonhusker said:

haha.  I am one of the least depressed Nebraska fans on this board because I don't have crazy expectations.  So I guess it's how you look at things.  

A good coach does attract good players.  But most good coaches also have a good recruiting base.  

We have never had a good recruiting base.....never will. You have to build in stages.

• Plus1 1