Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

21 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Here's a list of every Nebraska kid who left the state to play. The rest would be on the team. It doesn't appear to be 1997 anymore.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/local-sports/list-nebraskans-who-lettered-in-football-for-an-out-of/article_729c6fef-6571-5f3d-a54c-e5f226a38138.html

I found 11 kids from 2016 in that list, 6 from 2015, 6 from 2014. If we keep those kids, we are much better. But I also think there are some very good kids that haven't completely developed enough to be highly recruited. That is where a network can help identify kids with potential. Give those kids 3 years in the NU weight room, and some of them will be contributors.

• Plus1 2

I look at that list and I wonder how many of those lineman would Riley would actually recruit nowadays? 

Styles have changed and there were many Nebraska kids that fit definite roles we don't see anymore.  Some of these kids that Wyoming, South Dakota State or even Iowa have taken as of late would've fit the Osborne/Solich eras.  

11 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Disagree. First of all, the cities in Nebraska are bigger, so there's more to choose from, not to mention that you'll see a pretty good athlete here and there in some of these little towns

Yes, the cities are full of retired farmers and small town business people buying condos and moving into retirement villages. I'm sure a local sportswriter has done the demographics on this and it ain't pretty.

2 hours ago, BaytownHusker said:

Moos is a Pac 12 Guy roughy???   What makes you think he ain’t keeping the PAC 12 guy Riley?

Eichorst was fired for one reason, the performance of the football team, thus he was fired because of Mike Riley. Why in the hell would the new guy even consider keeping Riley? His hiring had to be predicated on replacing Riley, sooner rather than later. The latest last possible game Riley coaches will be Iowa and it wouldn’t surprise me if we aren’t in an interim HC situation much sooner than that. Riley will not be on a Nebraska sideline after November this year, he’ll be lucky to make it to November.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, El Diaco said:

Eichorst was fired for one reason, the performance of the football team, thus he was fired because of Mike Riley. Why in the hell would the new guy even consider keeping Riley? His hiring had to be predicated on replacing Riley, sooner rather than later. The latest last possible game Riley coaches will be Iowa and it wouldn’t surprise me if we aren’t in an interim HC situation much sooner than that. Riley will not be on a Nebraska sideline after November this year, he’ll be lucky to make it to November.

Has Moos held a press conference yet? I expect him to start with something like

"Hello I am happy to be in Nebraska. I just spoke with Mike Riley, and notified him that he is no longer the Head Football Coach at Nebraska."

45 minutes ago, BartonHusker said:

I'm not sure if Nebraska would ever hire Bohl but with that said I don't care if he isn't flashy... he is a blue collared hard nosed football coach.  We would definitely be physical and tough for sure. 

Talking about Nebraska in-state talent, Bohl  has some very good Nebraska talent on his roster now at Wyoming. Kids that we don't always deem worthy now but probably would've been takes by Osborne and his system. 

Wasn't Bohl the architect of the 2001 Debacle in Boulder defense? The game that started the descent. No thanks.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I found 11 kids from 2016 in that list, 6 from 2015, 6 from 2014. If we keep those kids, we are much better. But I also think there are some very good kids that haven't completely developed enough to be highly recruited. That is where a network can help identify kids with potential. Give those kids 3 years in the NU weight room, and some of them will be contributors.

I found 15 including current players I assume committed to a school. Iowa has a bunch, Ohio and Wyoming have some, K State has one.  I'm not sure if any of them are starter material for the '97 team. Would be interesting to find out.
The point you and Barton are making is a good one....would they be a good fit for the old system and how much could they develop into?

3 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Joel Makovicka - walk-on

Matt Hoskinson - walk-on

Nearly 20% of the starters for a MNC team are Nebraska walk-ons. The talent is there, you just have to find it.

Joel Makovicka would hardly play today. If asked about his relationship with the coaches, he'd say he's never met them.

1 hour ago, MichiganDad3 said:

You got a shirt! It was always underwear for me.

I always got socks. Except for the year I bought a CD player earlier in the year with money from the bucket calf I sold; my dad said that was my Christmas present.

So, all we have to do is have the fans who want Frost to send him money! 

Just now, Hayseed said:

This kind of logic makes no sense. 

How so? I’ve seen more than one person suggest Bohl, the guy that orchestrated one of the worst defensive performance in our history. Why in the f#ck would anybody want him now? He’s about as impressive as Mike Riley.

3 minutes ago, Edison's Enemy said:

I always got socks. Except for the year I bought a CD player earlier in the year with money from the bucket calf I sold; my dad said that was my Christmas present.

So, all we have to do is have the fans who want Frost to send him money! 

He's making 1.7 million now.  Is he worth more than that?